AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I enjoyed reading all of your theater builds. The attention to detail that most of you put into your theaters is inspiring to say the least. About 18 months ago I built, from the ground up, a "man cave". The purpose was to have a theater, bar, pool table, office, game area, and library all in one "little" area. I wanted a bathroom, a wine cellar, and a walk in humidor. I enjoy smoking cigars so I wanted a place that I could enjoy them with everything else I enjoy. A separate building was the only way to go. Its just my wife and I building everything. We don't live anywhere where zoning, permits, codes, etc apply so we could do pretty much what we wanted but we followed codes as best as possible. Anyway, here are pictures of where it is currently. If you all want to see the start to current build pictures, I can post those too. I am not finished but I am starting to rethink several aspect of the current design and trying to come up with way to improve everything.

Happy to answer any questions or explain why I did what I did or learn what I shouldn't have done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20878094

Are those mattresses for the Swingers Parties?

Negative. If you want to buy a double sided mattress now days, you have to buy a hotel mattress set... Its cheaper to buy them in a pair than to buy 1.... That's my spare set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/20878300

Spare mattress? I am confused.

I had to buy a 2 pack of mattresses to get 1 set. So I have a 2nd set for the future. Buy hotel mattresses from Sams Club and they come in 2, 3 and 6 packs. I don't know why but they are cheaper than buy 1 set from Serta.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was thinking the mattress was a new approach to a bass trap.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw73 /forum/post/20881127

I was thinking the mattress was a new approach to a bass trap.

I would hope not after all the time and money he put into the place. Heck just stocking the bar would cost more then treating that room!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well all, I decided I enjoyed the home theater more than I enjoyed other parts of the man cave. I have gutted a lot of the inside and rearranged the theater portion. I wanted a larger screen. I wanted a 2.35:1 screen ratio. I wanted bigger subs. I wanted an AT screen and finally have the sound come from the screen rather than below it. I wanted better and more seating.

This is going to be a re-work in progress thread. Granted, I have done some work so far but I will show that and then as I progress.

I pulled out the short wall and built a simple screen frame and stretched some large white muslin cloth across it. The screen is about 18' wide at this point. My ratio was off so it only projects to 17' before it fills the height. But, I found that I liked this. It gives me a little more "buffer" on the sides to work with. I will mask it off when I replace the screen material.

Here we are showing progress on the room and playing with seating.

My 5'8" daughter for size comparison.

Next, I decided the bar had to go. I built the bar from scratch so I couldn't get rid of it but it didn't fit in the room. So, I convinced the wife to do some "room rearranging". My man cave is actually a stand alone building that I added onto. The theater is a 20x32 building with 10' ceilings. I added on a 15x32 room with 8' ceilings on the side. That is the room through the door in the pictures above. The add-on was to be my office/music studio and library. I convinced the wife to convert the family room in the house to become the library. All the books and bookcases were moved yesterday. The original add-on library will now become my "socializing" room. The bar has been moved into there. The pool table has been sold. We never played it, as most pool table owners can attest. It just took up room. The wine cellar, the bathroom, and the walk in humidor stay in the theater.

I purchased some MFW-15's from EricH a year ago and finally got around to building cabinets for them. I built 4- 3 cf sealed enclosures and put them below and behind the screen. They are powered with a Crown 2400 watt amp. They are amazing!

Here are a couple of pictures of where it is today and I hope to make daily progress and update as I finish it. It will be a full on home theater this time around..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.