AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here goes. I'm trying to build a DIY screen, but I'm having some concerns. My desired screen size is 58"x104" (or 118" 16x9 diag). This pretty much rules out Doable, Hardboard, Drywall, or any other solid piece of material I can buy from Home Depot or Lowes. My choices are to get a professional screen (too much money at the moment), or to create a screen. The room is 14'x20' and for now there will be one row of seating at about 18'. Eventually there will be another row around 14' or 15', but not yet. I have tested quite a few samples of painted surfaces, using variations of the famous Misty Evening paint. I'd like to go with 50% Mistey Evening 50% Silver Metallic (very nice results). The question is, should I attempt to paint blackout cloth, or should I paint my wall? My wall has a light spatter texture to it. Obviously painting the wall is a very easy solution... but can anyone else who is currently (and for the forseable future) projecting onto a textured wall offer their opinion with regards to how it looks to them? I'm concerned that if I paint the blackout cloth I will not be able to put it on the frame afterwards without cracking the paint...

Any advice? Please? Maybe? HELP!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends on the texture. If it's the 'marbled' kind I would say get a screen, if it's the tiny speck kind I would say try painting the wall first. I have tried shooting on both types of wall, and the results varied tremendously. The texture can make a big difference, but the more finely textured walls provide an acceptable surface for projection.

I've found a good test is to sit where you'll be sitting in your theater and look at the wall you're going to project onto. If you can clearly distinguish the texture, it will be bothersome when you're using the projector, especially in the whites. I just got through constructing an ME parkland and it is a vast improvement over the off-white lightly speckle-textured wall I was using.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you texture is bigger than sand particles, you may be disappointed. Actually, unless your wall is really dark, you can probably get a pretty good idea what it will do, just by pointing your projector at your wall as it stands.

Try it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I shoot on to a textured wall right now (old plaster = fairly coarse surface imperfections).

I painted it with some flat Behr house paint ("Silver Tradition" I think) that I had laying around.

It looks fine. I never see the textured surface, but that could change drastically with the introduction of metallic.

If you paint a blackout cloth you need to stretch/mount it to the frame first. You'll never be able to paint an unstretched cloth and later mount it with satisfactory results.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Have you considered sanding down that portion of the wall? Is that a possibility? Wet-sanding (and wearing a cheapy respirator) will get a smooth surface onto which to paint. The sanding sponges are available at any paint section/store and it's a pretty easy job (though your arms will get tired on such a large area).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think hand sanding a 42 sq. ft. area is going to happen anytime soon. Right now I'm still sort of undecided on what to do. I am too cheap to spend $2k or so on a screen, but too timid to try and paint BO cloth I think. I'm considering going for HCCV from Da-Lite and mounting it on a frame myself (thereby saving many hundreds of dollars). I also took another look at the Firehawk, HCCV, and Misty Evening last night - the Misty Evening seems to mute the colors a bit more than the HCCV, but the HCCV doesn't have quite the black level as the Misty Evening. I may compromise and go for a professional material on a DIY frame. Oh, the horrors of being cheap and picky!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Kind of off topic (but kind of not). How *do* you wet sand a painted surface? I recently painted my DIY screen with Goo. I used a roller and I'm unhappy with the texture so I'd like to sand it and give it another shot. What's the procedure for wet sanding? Just mist the surface and go at it with a sanding sponge? Thanks...

Cary

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unefined---

See the post by Jeff Leonard re custom sizes for parkland type plastic sheets you can paint--better hurry though--he only has 8 left. BTW I'm enjoying your thread on screen tests--keep up the good work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If your wall is a bit too "textured" to give a nice sharp picture, how 'bout this... Get two sheets of 1/2" 4x12 sheet rock. Cut them to the size you want and screw them to the wall. Use regular joint compound to smooth the butt joint and to cover the screw tops - basic sheetrock technique. This should give a very smooth surface that will take paint beautifully and uniformly. Should be fairly inexpensive, too.

w

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by unefined
I don't think hand sanding a 42 sq. ft. area is going to happen anytime soon. Right now I'm still sort of undecided on what to do. I am too cheap to spend $2k or so on a screen, but too timid to try and paint BO cloth I think. I'm considering going for HCCV from Da-Lite and mounting it on a frame myself (thereby saving many hundreds of dollars). I also took another look at the Firehawk, HCCV, and Misty Evening last night - the Misty Evening seems to mute the colors a bit more than the HCCV, but the HCCV doesn't have quite the black level as the Misty Evening. I may compromise and go for a professional material on a DIY frame. Oh, the horrors of being cheap and picky!
FYI: You can buy Firehawk material and mount it also. You can buy it through this forum.

In your second comparison, you didn't mention additional perceptions of the FH vs HCCV vs ME. You only refer to the last two choices.

gp

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wet-sanding uses a sanding sponge, usually a medium coarseness on one side, and fine on the other. Soak in water, squeeze excess water out, then use broad sweeping motions. After a few sweeps, rinse and squeeze excess... Repeat until you're satisfied with the texture.

I've painted my 48"x86" screen (~28 sq.ft.) and wet-sanded for 2 coats. Not that difficult actually. You just need some time to dedicate to it - and to allow it to dry completely before proceeding. I think it's still your best bet for the cheap and "easy" solution for now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
FYI: You can buy Firehawk material and mount it also. You can buy it through this forum.

In your second comparison, you didn't mention additional perceptions of the FH vs HCCV vs ME. You only refer to the last two choices.

gp
You're correct, I neglected to mention the comparison between ME/HCCV & FH. Here's the short version (pending having some time to complete the screenshots and detailed comparisons):

The Firehawk is a great material. There is no if, and, or but about it. For a digital projector with moderate light output the Firehawk is an excellent screen choice. Compared to the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision the Firehawk is slightly darker in colors, not quite as vibrant. This was a bit surprising to me, because of the advertised 1.35 gain of the FH vs. the 1.1 gain of the HCCV. The Firehawk has darker blacks than the HCCV, so I figure the gain figures are either skewed, or there is something in the emulsion that Stewart puts on the Firehawk that plays tricks on the color levels. Either way, the Firehawk looks great. The HCCV does not look bad, by any means, but it does not come anywhere near the black levels of the Firehawk. Color and white levels are only slightly better on the HCCV.

Now, as for the Misty Evening vs. Firehawk, it is (much) closer than the HCCV. The Misty evening does not have quite the black levels of the Firehawk, but it is not far off. The color reproduction, to me, looks a little be better on the Misty Evening, but this is also a very close call. Take a movie like "The Santa Clause 2", fast forward to I believe chapter 3 where they are in the workshop and Tim Allen is walking around observing the work of the Elves... the Firehawk gives "Santa" a gray beard, and a more merlot colored suit. The Misty Evening gives him a white beard and a more vibrant red colored suit (difference between sports car red and sedan red?). Now, which one is correct? I'm going to lean towards the ME being correct, as it looks slightly more like it does on a matte white screen. So, which one looks better? I think that if you spent 10 minutes watching either screen your eyes would adjust and you wouldn't notice the color difference. Especially since black levels are very good on both materials.

So... why would I be considering a HCCV screen at this point? After all, I've pretty much placed it third out of three here. The difference is, the HCCV screen is very good with colorful and bright scenes, and still much better than matte white on dark scenes. That, coupled with the fact that I can build one for about $1800 less than buying an equivalent sized Firehawk screen, leads me to find it very appealing. Also, the Firehawk material (according to Jason and Daniel of AVS) is no longer available. Stewart will only sell full screens. I'm just not ready to plunk down 2/3 the price of my projector on a screen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm sorry, I missed the whole Misty Evening Craze. Is what you are using just a flat gray paint or has it had metallic added to it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PerryH- Yes and no. Sorry for not being clear, I'm answering Gregg's question in detail because I believe he also read my Ultimate HS20 screen thread. The Misty Evening I am referring to above is regular ME. I had planned on using a Misty Evening mixed 50/50 with Silver Metallic, which brings the black level about 1 or 2 shades closer to the Firehawk. The difference between the two Misty Evenings is very, very close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.