AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Great setup! Really clean and I dig the backlights. What is your initial assessment of the Sony TV? I'm eyeing it myself. This will be my first non plasma since CRT TVs.

Have you tried the 3D at all? I know you said your AVR is not 3D compatible, but have you tried anyway? Apparently, there are some cases where such receiver will pas the signal anyway.

Any who, have a good one,

cheers

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks!

I think my old CCFL-based LCD was a tad better in terms of picture quality - the Sony is decent. I was very wary of all the PQ issues inherent with current edge-lit LCDs, but it's hard to get away from unless you have a very generous budget to work with (which I didn't). Out of the box, mine had very evident cloudiness/uniformity issues. Fortunately, I was able to 'massage' it out (sounds strange, but it worked for me). Now I'm quite pleased with it. If you do get one, make sure you do it from a store with a good return policy, so you can return/replace it if you're unhappy with the PQ.

As for 3D, yes I've tried it, and I actually quite like it - it looks better than I thought it would. I know that each eye is only getting half resolution, but the image detail holds up quite well (I specifically wanted to get a passive 3D set). My receiver can pass through 720p 3D signals, but not 1080p, so I have an HDMI switch that bypasses the AVR and connects my PS3 directly to the TV for watching 3D movies. I watched Pacific Rim and was quite impressed - the 3D effect is very pronounced. I bought myself a pair of clip-on 3D glasses to use over my prescription glasses, which is much better than trying to wear a pair of 3D glasses over my own.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nice set up! Now all you need is a new up date to include that new SVS SB-2000. :D

Reactions: tezster

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great setup. Extremely clean! I noticed a lot of the commenters compliments were almost backhanded. You know, such as, "so long as you're happy with it," insinuating it was inferior in some way. These people must be high. Your set up is freaking awesome. Good job. I don't know how you could have ever felt inadequate at posting a gallery? The only thing I wonder is, where is the second sub located?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Great setup. Extremely clean! I noticed a lot of the commenters compliments were almost backhanded. You know, such as, "so long as you're happy with it," insinuating it was inferior in some way. These people must be high. Your set up is freaking awesome. Good job. I don't know how you could have ever felt inadequate at posting a gallery? The only thing I wonder is, where is the second sub located?
Thanks for the positive comments :) For now, I'm just running the one new sub (old one is in storage). Since I'll be getting a Buttkicker for my sofa to compliment the sub soon (whenever they get it in stock), I think this should provide me with enough tactile feel, without bothering my neighbours too much.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No equipment updates, but I replaced my media shelf with a small DIY project I built over the weekend (I had run out of storage space). I found a blog where someone built a shelf using 1x4's and 1x3's, so I used the same formula to build my own. What I like about it is the minimalist (low cost) design. Because the blu-rays are flush against the wall, the shelf takes up a minimum of floor space. With the small space I have to work with, I really appreciate the small footprint. Here's a comparison of the old and new shelf:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just added the BKA-300 wireless Buttkicker to my HT setup - I've only had it for a couple of days, so I'm still dialing in the settings, but my first impressions so far is that it's AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. My sofa has 5th leg that is very close to the centre of mass where I installed the buttkicker platform, making it a pretty ideal setup. My current volume/intensity is currently set a few ticks below the default (50%) level. I know some people have installed it directly onto the sofa structure via a piece of lumber to achieve a direct mechanical coupling. It's actually what I had planned on doing, but after testing it out using the supplied platform, I didn't think I needed to change it; there's more than enough movement getting transmitted to the sofa. I had previously run my subwoofer about +4db hot. I have now put it back to the original Audyssey-set level to make it more 'neighbour-friendly' ;) The buttkicker provides plenty of tactile experience to compliment the sub.

For what it adds to the home movie-watching experience, I think it offers great value for the money. Of course, for ~$300, it isn't perfect: I love the wireless setup and IR control (I've already added it to my Harmony remote), but the lack of any visual indicator for the volume/intensity level is a little annoying. And since I have the amp tucked away out of sight, I also need to check the amp's LED to confirm that it's on/off. Adding a LED status indicator of the amp's power state on the front wireless unit, or having discrete ON/OFF IR commands, would've been quite helpful. Other than that, I really have no complaints. Well, I should mention that the buttkicker bottomed out during infamous frequency-sweep scene in Edge of Tomorrow, but considering how demanding that particular audio track is, I'm not too unhappy. I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of fidelity it delivers; I was a little worried a device like this would deliver a obvious "Hey, I'm on now, feel the vibration!" to nothing at all, but it isn't like that.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Pretty cool setup, how are you liking the 70"?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Super neat setup. Good job.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Outstanding look! I really love the copper. How do the new Klipsch LCR sound? I'm thinking of getting an SVS sub.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Outstanding look! I really love the copper. How do the new Klipsch LCR sound? I'm thinking of getting an SVS sub.

What are you talking about? Of course you like the copper, you're a major Klipsch man :D Considering an SVS, yeah man, do the big bass!!!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I like the LCR quite a bit :) I've had a chance to watch several movies with the new setup, and the front sound stage performs well.

As for SVS, I'd recommend looking at their ported subs first for the increased output; I went for sealed mainly due to size constraints.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What are you talking about? Of course you like the copper, you're a major Klipsch man :D Considering an SVS, yeah man, do the big bass!!!
Nice to see you back on the boards Geoff!

I like the LCR quite a bit :) I've had a chance to watch several movies with the new setup, and the front sound stage performs well.

As for SVS, I'd recommend looking at their ported subs first for the increased output; I went for sealed mainly due to size constraints.

Thanks for the info on the SVS sealed Vs. ported. A local shop has them and I will audition them to see which one fit my set up. :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts