AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Plasma to replace my almost 4 year old LG 42PC3D plasma.

I've narrowed it down based on price to 2 different Panasonic models:

TH-42PH12U (industrial 720p)

or

TH-PH42G10 (consumer 1080p THX certified)

I've always loved the clean lines of the industrial plasmas from Panasonic. I don't care about the fact that they don't come with speakers or tuners. I have my own cable box and receiver to hook it up to. I simply want the display that will give me the most pleasing image to my eyes.

I know that 1080p vs 720p means little sometimes, and that contrast ratio and other things are more important, especially on a 42" screen where that 720p vs 1080p difference is not that noticeable. The industrial plasmas have always been reliable. I'm not really concerned about the bleck level issue on the current G series. I think the problem is over hyped. All I need is a display with at least 2 HDMI ports, which both of them have. Aside from that, I don't care about the other features. I simply want the best picture quality. Also, I'm looking at keeping this plasma for the next 5 years.

With that being said, and being that I can get either one at pretty much the same price...which one of the 2 will give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by najibs /forum/post/18224688

I'm looking at buying a Plasma to replace my almost 4 year old LG 42PC3D plasma.

I've narrowed it down based on price to 2 different Panasonic models:

TH-42PH12U (industrial 720p)

or

TH-PH42G10 (consumer 1080p THX certified)

I've always loved the clean lines of the industrial plasmas from Panasonic. I don't care about the fact that they don't come with speakers or tuners. I have my own cable box and receiver to hook it up to. I simply want the display that will give me the most pleasing image to my eyes.

I know that 1080p vs 720p means little sometimes, and that contrast ratio and other things are more important, especially on a 42" screen where that 720p vs 1080p difference is not that noticeable. The industrial plasmas have always been reliable. I'm not really concerned about the bleck level issue on the current G series. I think the problem is over hyped. All I need is a display with at least 2 HDMI ports, which both of them have. Aside from that, I don't care about the other features. I simply want the best picture quality. Also, I'm looking at keeping this plasma for the next 5 years.

With that being said, and being that I can get either one at pretty much the same price...which one of the 2 will give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

I own a TH42PH8UK and also a TCP50G10. I'm very anal, like a lot of other people on this thread, and I have been trying to get the picture of my bigger G10 to match the picture quality of the TH42PH8UK for the last couple months and have not been successful. The professional plasma just seems to look better and richer with any channel. Movies on cable, sports, reality tv, you name it. Blu-ray's do look great in THX mode, however, on the G10. The blu-ray is the only mode it tops the professional model in my opinion and that's only because of the 1080p factor.

There's also a bit more "pop", which the G10 doesn't seem to have. The G10 might be a little more accurate, though, but I still like the picture better on the professional even though it's not perfectly accurate. Also, the professional is a bit sharper too-the G10 might be a little softer to my eyes. Anyway, I'd buy the TH42PH12UK. You'll love it!! My brother in law also owns the professional model and we were recently discussing how great the picture is. He had just purchased a pioneer KRP500 and he thought the Panasonic was equal or better with varying picture feeds. He also couldn't replicate the "pop" factor. Not bad for a 5 year old plasma.

I have some settings I've used since I first bought it which are excellent. Someone on an AVS forum shared them with us and not once have I considered changing them. Let me know if you'd like me to give you these settings. Maybe they won't look the same since the tv is 4 years newer, but it can't hurt to try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts