AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this model does not come with a tuner and i am wondering what people are doing to tune TV. My cable at school(USC) does not require a cable box so i have no component/composite connectivity.

What i am wondering is

1) what are people doing who do not have cable boxes with this set

2)Will I be able to tune TV though a TIVO?

3)If i buy a cable box say off ebay and connect it to the cable will it work?(guessing not)

4)Recommendations on a HD tuner that also tunes NTSC

Thanks

· Registered
342 Posts
As you state, the commercial panni's are just monitors that accept SD and HD inputs. They come standard with SD composite and s-video jacks and HD component and VGA connectors. You can then buy other blades (input boards) for DVI etc.

That said you can attach any of the following for tv tuning...

SD

VCR, cable box, tivo, satellite, computer, etc.

HD

D-VHS VCR, HD cable box, HD tivo, HD satellite, HD computer, NTSC/ATSC tuner, etc.

If you want OTA HD or potential digital/HD cable via cable card you should look at the LG LST-4200A tuner. Many say this is probably the best ATSC tuner on market now. It also has a QAM tuner that will display unscrambled digital cable channels.

· Registered
308 Posts
Amen to all the previous posts...a VCR will do the job as cheap as possible...

· Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TKO

If you want OTA HD or potential digital/HD cable via cable card you should look at the LG LST-4200A tuner. Many say this is probably the best ATSC tuner on market now. It also has a QAM tuner that will display unscrambled digital cable channels.
hmm, how well does the consumer model's built in tuner compare with a tuner such as the LG LST-4200A?

· Registered
113 Posts
I use my Toshiba SD-H400 DVD-TiVo. I like it for a couple of reasons. You can put your coaxial input into the back and output component to your display. I think this is the only non-HD TiVo unit that has component output. It even shows regular cable in progressive scan. It includes a progressive scan DVD player and built in TiVo with free lifetime basic service.

MSRP is $350 but I've noticed its on sale every other week at Best Buy for about half that.

· Registered
141 Posts
I don't know if the component out gives you much. I have tried switching between component and composite for regular tv and don't notice any difference. I do notice a difference on DVD's, however.

· Registered
166 Posts
you might want to get a QAM tuner to be able to decode digital high def cable signals as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.