AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 42" TH-42PX600U (2006 model panny plasma, but they all had the same screen in 2006) and was looking to get a second tv for the bedroom, albeit at first I was looking for something around 24-27" until I saw the price for today's cheapest 42" tv's

My question is if I get even the cheapest plasma (looking at $380+tax TC-P42C2 42"), will it be an improvement in PICTURE QUALITY over the px600u series? I'm pretty sure my tv is based off hdmi 1.1 tech, but I know we're on 1.4 with 3D tech, and I figure there was a considerable jump in advancements (I remember reading 1.1-1.2 wasn't that huge) from 1.1-1.3

I understand other changes have occured related to thickness and weight, but if I'm going to be replacing my main tv, I want Picture Quality to be my #1 priority..

I should also mention, I really only live in apartments, and the furthest I've ever been from my tv is 10-12', so I'm just fine with sticking with a 42" screen and would obviously have no need for 1080p resolution at that screen size. Also, I do have to say, the speakers on the 42PX600 are really good for small rooms like the ones I have been using it in and I assume I won't be getting that with a new purchase at a low price point, but that probably won't be a big issue for me.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The cheapest plasma might have worse processing but that should be the only negative. I had a 50PX-60U (think I got the model number right) and even the low-end plasmas will offer much better image quality overall.

10-12' is way too far for a 42 inch screen though. It will look like a postage stamp at that distance.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino2783 /forum/post/19623210

I've got a 42" TH-42PX600U (2006 model panny plasma, but they all had the same screen in 2006) and was looking to get a second tv for the bedroom, albeit at first I was looking for something around 24-27" until I saw the price for today's cheapest 42" tv's. My question is if I get even the cheapest plasma (looking at $380+tax TC-P42C2 42"), will it be an improvement in PICTURE QUALITY over the px600u series?

The C2's PQ will be a little better - it will have better blacks, better colors, better contrast, and will be brighter. But the C2 does not have an Anti-Reflective coating like your PX600U does so it will be a lot more reflective so that could be a problem.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my tv is based off hdmi 1.1 tech, but I know we're on 1.4 with 3D tech, and I figure there was a considerable jump in advancements (I remember reading 1.1-1.2 wasn't that huge) from 1.1-1.3

HDMI ratings have nothing to do with picture quality and is a non-issue when choosing a TV.

Quote:
I understand other changes have occured related to thickness and weight, but if I'm going to be replacing my main tv, I want Picture Quality to be my #1 priority..

Yet you're looking to buy the lowest cheapest entry-level model in Panasonic's whole lineup?

Quote:
I should also mention, I really only live in apartments, and the furthest I've ever been from my tv is 10-12', so I'm just fine with sticking with a 42" screen and would obviously have no need for 1080p resolution at that screen size.

Are you absolutely sure about that? Have you checked it out with your own eyes? Or are you going by what other people are claiming? I can tell the difference between a 42" 720p and 42" 1080p set at 10 feet and it's a very obvious difference (i have one of each so i know firsthand). Most people probably wouldn't notice the differences at 10 feet, but in my home when i point it out to people they then start to see the differences between the two and they finally "get it". Some don't care, but some start to re-think the whole 720p vs 1080p thing. My advice is always to get a 1080p set unless you absolutely positively cannot afford it, then my advise is to save up more money until you can. The 1080p sets have better colors, better blacks, better contrast, better processing, no jaggies, no stair-stepping, no SDE, and an overall smoother and more natural image. And i see these differences at 10 feet on the 42" screen size.

Can you afford a 1080p TC-P42U2 instead at least? Or an S2?

Quote:
Also, I do have to say, the speakers on the 42PX600 are really good for small rooms like the ones I have been using it in and I assume I won't be getting that with a new purchase at a low price point, but that probably won't be a big issue for me.

The speaker system on the PX600U series was unique (has two main speakers plus two subwoofers and higher watt output rating then regular Plasmas) and is way better than on any flat panel TV available today. I have the same 2+2 speaker/woofer setup on my PZ700U and it sounds way better than my 46G10 and 42PX50U. No matter if you buy a $400 Plasma or a $5,000 Plasma, your PX600U will sound much better so be prepared to take a hit in the audio quality department.

Have you considered moving the old 42PX600U to the bedroom and getting a nice 50" G25 (or S2 at least) for the main room? That's what i do, move the older TVs to other rooms when they're replaced by a newer one

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19625313

The C2's PQ will be a little better - it will have better blacks, better colors, better contrast, and will be brighter. But the C2 does not have an Anti-Reflective coating like your PX600U does so it will be a lot more reflective so that could be a problem.

HDMI ratings have nothing to do with picture quality and is a non-issue when choosing a TV.

That's good to know about HDMI, I was under the impression that if the tv had the correct hdmi firmware it would have more bandwidth open for a better quality signal as long as it was receiving said signal. *UPDATE* Did the research, and while what I said was true, the signal type is very specific, and it seems nothing is really dependent on 1.3.

Quote:
Yet you're looking to buy the lowest cheapest entry-level model in Panasonic's whole lineup?

I know it sounds odd, but I was never looking to spend much anyways ($150-200), and if for a little more I could improve my main and put the old one in the bedroom, I could see the value in spending a little bit more. Short of Black level and the other improvements that come with time, the 600U still looks really good to me with good HD content (Blu-Ray being my best content, and I keep a selection of the reference quallity on hand). My assumption was that if the cheapest screen bested my current one, I could get more bang for my buck by getting not only a bedroom tv, but a better main screen.

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure about that? Have you checked it out with your own eyes? Or are you going by what other people are claiming? I can tell the difference between a 42" 720p and 42" 1080p set at 10 feet and it's a very obvious difference (i have one of each so i know firsthand). Most people probably wouldn't notice the differences at 10 feet, but in my home when i point it out to people they then start to see the differences between the two and they finally "get it". Some don't care, but some start to re-think the whole 720p vs 1080p thing. My advice is always to get a 1080p set unless you absolutely positively cannot afford it, then my advise is to save up more money until you can. The 1080p sets have better colors, better blacks, better contrast, better processing, no jaggies, no stair-stepping, no SDE, and an overall smoother and more natural image. And i see these differences at 10 feet on the 42" screen size.

Can you afford a 1080p TC-P42U2 instead at least? Or an S2?

I have seen bad 720p screens with jaggies and stairs-stepping, wasn't sure if the C2 fell into that category as I haven't checked one out in person yet. That is one of the caveats of buying 720p today though; they reserve the better technology for the 1080p screens even if they could put them on a screen in 720p as well. I would probably have to check it out in person as I can't just make a blanket statement about all tv's.

Quote:
Have you considered moving the old 42PX600U to the bedroom and getting a nice 50" G25 (or S2 at least) for the main room? That's what i do, move the older TVs to other rooms when they're replaced by a newer one

The G25 is definitely nice, but $380 is already close to $200 more than I was looking to spend, and the G25 that I could get at $880 would be about $700 more, lol. Also, it was my intent to move the 600U into the bedroom if the C2 was better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts