AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just bought a TH-42PZ80U about a week ago after hearing many good things about this TV. It's my first HDTV, so please be patient with me. I have tried a lot of different settings on these forums, but no matter what the picture is still pretty grainy. I don't know if it's the TV or what. My dad let me try out some nice HDMI cables so I don't think it is that. I play the movies through PS3. So far I have tried the Spider-Man trilogy on Blu-Ray and Planet Earth on HD-DVD, both being somewhat grainy. I have tried cinema mode and various settings. I am looking at the LN40A550 now. Is my TV messed up? I don't know if I should keep this or get an LCD. Please help, its appreciated!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
What is your viewing distance?

Some movies have a lot of film grain that the director wanted to serve some artistic purpose.

Try an HD channel with clean HD outdoor nature video like from PBS or Discovery for comparison.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
Lots of people say that the Planet Earth HD DVD isn't very good quality.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Try setting the TV to cinema mode. That should eliminate any noise that's not in the original source. Initially it may appear too dim, but give it time and you'll get used to it. That mode also gives the image more depth and "pop."

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
How high is your brightness? If it is set too high you may notice some green sparkles, which looks like grain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thanks everyone for the comments! It is very appreciated.

I sit about 8 1/2 to 9 feet away from the TV. I have also heard that about the directors wanting the film to have that certain feel, but this seems more than it is supposed to be.

I didn't know that about the Planet Earth HD-DVD. I thought it was supposed to be pretty good. Thanks for that info.

I have tryed setting it to cinema mode and it has helped some, but it still isn't the greatest. Also, like you said, the picture doesn't look too vibrant, but I will try and get used to it.

Lastly, I will try and lower the brightness, but I do not think this is the problem becuase that setting is not high at all.

Thanks again for all the comments everyone. I will try them all out! If anyone has any more info/thoughts please post it. Thanks!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Put in a film that you know that has no filmgrain. There should be animated film without grain. If you see grain in a grain-less(CGI) film then there must be something wrong either with your picture settings or the plasma.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandaman /forum/post/14170259

First thanks everyone for the comments! It is very appreciated.

I sit about 8 1/2 to 9 feet away from the TV. I have also heard that about the directors wanting the film to have that certain feel, but this seems more than it is supposed to be.

I didn't know that about the Planet Earth HD-DVD. I thought it was supposed to be pretty good. Thanks for that info.

I have tryed setting it to cinema mode and it has helped some, but it still isn't the greatest. Also, like you said, the picture doesn't look too vibrant, but I will try and get used to it.

Lastly, I will try and lower the brightness, but I do not think this is the problem becuase that setting is not high at all.

Thanks again for all the comments everyone. I will try them all out! If anyone has any more info/thoughts please post it. Thanks!

What do you have the "contrast" set to?

·
Registered
61 Posts
the panny's have an inherent graininess to them, It just comes with the product line. You can move up in price, or laterally over to a samsung, but at at the small expense of black levels. I had an 800u, but ended up with a samsung.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaB /forum/post/14172924

the panny's have an inherent graininess to them, It just comes with the product line. You can move up in price, or laterally over to a samsung, but at at the small expense of black levels. I had an 800u, but ended up with a samsung.

They do not have an inherent graininess if you use the "cinema" setting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even in THX mode i spotted the graininess, albeit somehow it really tones it down, more like the outlines are still there, but the color shifting is dramatically reduced. I can only vouch for the 80/85/800u that i have had in my house. Hope I'm not confusing graininess with noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

Really, can anyone else confirm this? I would really like to know this as I might exchange this set for a Samsung LCD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/14173255

They do not have an inherent graininess if you use the "cinema" setting.

I have tried that, but it is still there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaB /forum/post/14173849

Even in THX mode i spotted the graininess, albeit somehow it really tones it down, more like the outlines are still there, but the color shifting is dramatically reduced. I can only vouch for the 80/85/800u that i have had in my house. Hope I'm not confusing graininess with noise.

Hm. Would you mind telling me the difference, please?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandaman /forum/post/14186028

I have tried that, but it is still there.

Then it's supposed to be there, try viewing it on another display like your computer monitor. Even the best HD sources have some grain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. /forum/post/14188715

Then it's supposed to be there, try viewing it on another display like your computer monitor. Even the best HD sources have some grain

Thanks for responding. You're probably right. Do you know if that is true about the Panasonics being somewhat grainy?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Quote:

Inherent graininess? Honestly, i have never heard anyone say this about the Panasonic televisions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for replying. It is greatly appreciated. I only have a few days to change my mind, but I think I will be sticking with this TV if that is not true about the graininess. I am somewhat releaved as I really like this TV, but thought it has 'a problem'. Guess it doesn't and it's just the DVDs!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts