AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking in the sub $2k range, but don't want to regret my purchase.

I hear SDTV is sometimes terrible on widescreen tvs but no one is displaying that locally (I am still looking).

These two sets are in two different areas so I can't A/B them, but they seem pretty close.

I am also looking at Pioneer 5070HD. The PF version of the Pana is like 2-3x the price though of either. What makes the price so dramatically different?

I am also debating the 50" Vizio which is closer to my real budget (I wanted to be around $1k), I read the reviews and they mention artifacts...unfortunately all the shops have shared video so that adds artifacts already.

I may bring a laptop with DVD around with me once I am close to sealing the deal...will shops usually let you hook up a dedicated feed?

I will be about 16' away at my viewing distance...I am also on the fence on 42-46" vs 50", and I will be trying to look at the 58" pana that is the hot deal right now.

I am mostly concerned with SDTV though as most of my shows are SD.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The PH has a resolution of 1366 x 768 while the PF has a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080. If you are going to sit 10 feet or more from the display, you will not likely be able to see much difference. Also, the PH has a slightly better black level than the PF.

SDTV will look about the same on both, meaning bad to good (not excellent) depending on the quality of the source. SD-DVDs will look fine.

-Steve

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh the one store had 1366 x 768 on it. It did say 1080i though...

Any sets that have really good SDTV?

I have been debating giving up the 2' of extra space hunting down a 36"/40" XBR Wega CRT.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb /forum/post/0

The PH has a resolution of 1366 x 768 while the PF has a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080. If you are going to sit 10 feet or more from the display, you will not likely be able to see much difference. Also, the PH has a slightly better black level than the PF.

SDTV will look about the same on both, meaning bad to good (not excellent) depending on the quality of the source. SD-DVDs will look fine.

-Steve

How does the PX line differ from the PF and PH?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the px and now the new pz models are the standard consumer line with tuners, speakers and stands(except the 65" px/pz does not come with a stand or speakers). the ph/pf are the commercial/industrial models, no tuners speakers stands..

·
Registered
32 Posts
So if I already have an audio system and a hd-dvr, should I be looking at the commercial models? I assume they would be cheaper than the consumer models, right? If so, would I be losing any features? Currently, all the features I use is controlled by the hd-dvr box.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst /forum/post/0

ahh the one store had 1366 x 768 on it. It did say 1080i though...

Any sets that have really good SDTV?

I have been debating giving up the 2' of extra space hunting down a 36"/40" XBR Wega CRT.

36" at 16 feet? Unless you have eagle vision, get a 50" set.

Since your real budget is a $1000, get the Vizio. It's closer to your budget and at 16 feet it will look good enough.

If you're willing to pay the price, the Pioneer 5070 has the best SD of the ones that you mention.

Cheers

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2avs /forum/post/0

36" at 16 feet? Unless you have eagle vision, get a 50" set.

Since your real budget is a $1000, get the Vizio. It's closer to your budget and at 16 feet it will look good enough.

If you're willing to pay the price, the Pioneer 5070 has the best SD of the ones that you mention.

Cheers

Which is why I'd also be hunting down the 40" XBR...once the depth is lost I would only be at 14' max from the screen (which is probably more like 12-13" once you are sitting)...this is the max though. We have two side sofas that can get you as close as 3' away.

My big three now are the Vizio 50", Pana TH50/58 and the 5070....from lowest to highest.

The Vizio I only saw at Costco and could not A/B it to either set do to layout. The Vizio black level seemed to be a bit more grey but they also had this set right in the front of the store by the big garage doors facing the sun.

My budget of $1000 was set prior to really hunting down sets...and also to replace my existing 32" CRT in my apartment with a viewing distance of only 7' max. I will have to up the ante a bit it seems

While I don't want to pay more than I have too, I don't want to buy something foolishly that I probably will not upgrade again for a long time (my Toshiba Cinema is circa 1997ish and still running like a champ with great PQ).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/0

the px and now the new pz models are the standard consumer line with tuners, speakers and stands(except the 65" px/pz does not come with a stand or speakers). the ph/pf are the commercial/industrial models, no tuners speakers stands..

Thanks for this clear answer....I couldn't figure out the major differences.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
There is no night and day difference between the Panny and the Pio 5070 in terms of SD contents. Fujitsu AVM2 processor equipped sets are the serious player when it comes to displaying SD. Just get the Panny PH9UK since you'll be viewing more SD than HD. The SD performance on the 9UK is very impressive.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez /forum/post/0

There is no night and day difference between the Panny and the Pio 5070 in terms of SD contents. Fujitsu AVM2 processor equipped sets are the serious player when it comes to displaying SD. Just get the Panny PH9UK since you'll be viewing more SD than HD. The SD performance on the 9UK is very impressive.

as is the SD content on a Pioneer 5070hd and comes complete with stand, tuner (pip) and speakers if needed in a setup where as the Panasonic is a commercial display unit without those amenities. Both sets have very nice HD quality pictures as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez /forum/post/0

The SD vs HD works well for now...I imagine within 5 years SD broadcasts may be in the minority.

I am doing a little shopping for tomorrow, today with this purchase.

Hopefully later today I will hit some more stores and try to get them all side by side.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
exactly..... You are heading the right track. The best is to look at the TVs side by side like you've said. Look for any pixelations between the two TVs with the same broadcast signal. You would also want to try running the HD contents such as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray and see how they compare. I have heard many reportings from the people here that the Pioneers have the tendency to output soft images... sometimes a little too soft. I have also immediately noticed this on the Pio Pro FHD-1. The pictures are too soft, and as a matter of fact, it was viewing HD contents from the disc. You want the sharper looking images in HD, not soft.

I would also ignore maxdog3. He has a history of trolling and crapping people's threads. He is inexperienced and just not well regarded in Panny and Fujitsu TVs. He doesn't even know about the Fujitsu TVs and then claims that the Pio SD is just as good as the Fujitsu's SD processing which is completely non-sense....

As for the Panny pro series, the stand can be had for $150.

The Panny Pro series by far, is the cleanest and professional looking plasma in the market. Or heck... save up some for the wall mount. Have you looked at the Panny pro series on their website? You might want to take a look at them too. The pro series have more advanced settings to tweak up the TV further, getting better IQ. These are not available in local stores so check on their panasonic website under consumer products. If you look around they can be had for very low price.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The TH-50PH9UK is what I was looking at...it is part of the pro series. However; in the stores it's the PX on display...I didn't know they had different picture qualities.

So far we are really leading to the Pioneer 5070...I really would like to see a pro series panny up close though.

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst /forum/post/0

The TH-50PH9UK is what I was looking at...it is part of the pro series. However; in the stores it's the PX on display...I didn't know they had different picture qualities.

So far we are really leading to the Pioneer 5070...I really would like to see a pro series panny up close though.

The TH-50PX60U has the same screen as the TH-50PH9UK so the picture quality you see on the PX60 in the stores is virtually the same as you'd see on a PH9UK so if you can find any stores that still have a PX60 on the wall go have a good hard look. Some people here are saying the new 50PX75U has better PQ than the PX60 it replaces and if so then it will look better than a 9UK as well.

But the 5070/5071 to me looks better on both SD and HD though, and is a little less reflective than the Panasonics. Plus, the Pioneer has two good stretch modes for SD channels where the Panny's one stretch mode is just so-so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts