AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to optimize my setup, and have a couple questions.

Inputs - I'll have a dvd player and Directv receiver going into the pany. I'm using the dvi connection on my Directv receiver. My progressive scan dvd player has composite, s-vid, and component outputs. Component is my first choice, but I'm not sure I can use both the dvi and component inputs on the pany, I know there was a thread discussing this, but I can't seem to find it.

Can I use both the DVI blade, and component inputs on the pany?

Format - The samsung dtv receiver can put out 1080i or 720p is there a good reason to use one of these over the other with the pany?

Looks like I'm going to get to spend some time with my new toys today, cause it's icing like crazy outside, and there's no sense leaving the house. Wonder what's on in HD?

Mike

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by olysan

Can I use both the DVI blade, and component inputs on the pany?

Mike
Yup.

The issue is with the S-Video/Composite input.

With the DVI/HDCP card installed the inputs will change like this:

Input 1 - DVI

Input 2 - S-Video/Composite (Can't use both)

Input 3 - Component /RGB

Input 4 - PC (The VGA D-sub 15pin also accepts Component)

·
Registered
192 Posts
olysan, Gx35 is right on. I have the same set up as you do and I use the DVI blade for my Dish 811HD receiver and the component input for my JVC progressive scan DVD player and it works just fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Do you guys notice a significant difference in picture quality between component and DVI for the Pannys? I'm just curious as to whether the DVI input gets converted to analog by the electronics on the blade or if the signal stays digital throughout the conversion/scaling process. Any ideas??

·
Registered
644 Posts
The signal is supposed to remain digital with the DVI input and there is supposedly no dual conversion to analog and back to digital like was feared on the Pioneer units.

Spleen

·
Registered
46 Posts
DVI does 'appear' to offer superior picture quailty to just component - the biggest thing that impacts the picture quailty as other have touched on is source. aka.. feed it junk, you get junk. Feed it greatness.. you get greatness.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyCapsLock
DVI does 'appear' to offer superior picture quailty to just component - .
After much testing with component vs. dvi on my 50" panny, I have come to the conclusion that dvi is only slightly and I mean slightly superior. In fact, a few people think that component looks better than dvi.

Personally , I think this was because I could not calibrate my setup via DVI ( but I know I got it pretty close) only component.

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by olysan
Format - The samsung dtv receiver can put out 1080i or 720p is there a good reason to use one of these over the other with the pany?
Did this question get answered? I have the same question? thank you in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.