AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after reading up on this forum and viewing some models at my local Circuit City I'm ready to jump in on the plasma display. I'm looking for great PQ and decent size (dont have room or light control for a front projector) so looks like plasma is my best bet at this point. I would appreciate any help with some newbie type questions:

1) The Panasonics have the best picture I have seen so far and I'm interested in the 50" plasma model #TH-50PHD6UY at PlasmaExtreme. I would be upgrading from a 10 year old 36" RCA ProScan CRT and am curious if the 50" would be a significant upgrade in size. I've used the screen size comparison site and know the actual measurements of picture difference, but I guess what I'm asking is, anyone upgrading to a 50" from a 36" is the screen size difference impressive or just slightly better?

2) The Panasonic and the whole "blades" issue is confusing me. I need a component input (DVD Player) and a DVI input (future upgrade to HD feed). Are one of each of these included in this model without any additional "blades"?

3) Need to upgrade my DVD player and am probably going to go with the Denon 1600 that is so well received here. Is there another model that would suit me better with this plasma?

Again, my thanks to anyone who can provide any insight or suggestions.

Ken

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but I got a Philips 42" flyer in the mail. The add folds out to the size of a 42" plasma screen. Wider than the fridge.

Take a bed sheet and fold it to the size of the 50" Panny. Then drape it over the 36 4:3 CRT. Big difference. Do the same with a 42" size. See if you need the extra real estate which will cost you big $$$.

The 16:9 widescreen will sell you. Remember the 50" vs 36" is not just 14" wider, it is a matter of screen area. Do the math.....xx% increase in screen area. I kicked myself when I purchased a 31" CRT versus a 36". The delta is only 5".

On the blades. You don't need DVI for HD. HDTV can come through component (like a DVD player) or DVI connections. You need a DVI blade ($200) to add a DVI connector to the 6UY. The consumer model comes with DVI or HDMI included.

The key point is that whether you need a DVI connector depends on how you get HDTV in your city. Only the newest Cable STB's have a DVI connector. Call your cable company and ask them what model STB they use and if it has a DVI connector. You can get great HDTV with a typical HD STB using component connectors.

If you have Direct TV some Sat/STB's have DVI connectors and that is independent of where you live. Sony HD200 HD DirectTV box is being discontinued and is around $600, with a new model the HD300 out soon, also with DVI. I am sure DishTV has the same, not sure there is a DVI connector. If you are into Tivo, there is a DirecTV HD STB with Tivo built in that is due by Christmas or 2004, that may have a DVI connector.

Your DVD player should have component connectors which are included on the 6UY. If you have a HD STB then you may need a second set of component connectors on the 6UY. That makes two sets....check the 6UY brochure.

DVD players with DVI connectors are available with more models in the pipeline. Do buy yet.

So if you need 2 DVI connectors on the 6UY (for a DVD player s HD STB) you may pay lots of $$$ to remove the current set of connectors to get

the 2 DVI blades.

The best option is to wait for a AVReceiver that accepts 2 DVI connections from say a HD STB and DVD player and sends either signal to the plasma using 1 DVI connector.

Whip out the adding machine....this is lots of $$$ just to get DVI.

Everything should work fine using component inputs.

The key is to combine the new Plasma with HD Cable/Sat.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Because of the change from 4:3 to a 16:9 format you will visually notice a big improvement in width and only a slight improvement in the height of the picture.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stealthfighter
You don't need DVI for HD. HDTV can come through component (like a DVD player) or DVI connections.
In fact, HDTV can come through any connection including S-video and composite. Not that I recommend composite for HD, but PQ of a HD source is still much better than PQ of a SD source. Using any connection.

Andrzej

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrzej
In fact, HDTV can come through any connection including S-video and composite. Not that I recommend composite for HD, but PQ of a HD source is still much better than PQ of a SD source. Using any connection.

Andrzej
????????????????? This is the first time I've ever heard of this. Are you sure about that?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You cannot get HD resolution via s-video or composite. Yes, an HD STB will output a signal via these, but the signal is limited to 480i. Only component, RGB, or DVI would be able to pass a higher grade signal.

SMK

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was only saying that HD signal can go through any connection. For example, you can watch HD programming on your 25-year-old TV set with composite connection only. The signal will be received in 480i format (so it is not HD anymore) but, as I mentioned in my previous post, you will notice a better PQ (on your 25-year-old set) then when watching SDTV.

Andrzej

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Maybe it's just semantics, but an HD signal CANNOT go trhough any connection. Yes, an HD signal can be downcoverted to 480i and then sent via composite or s-video, but it's not an HD signal being sent through composite or s-video.

SMK

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RoyGBiv
Maybe it's just semantics...

SMK
I agree. That's why I gave an example of what I mean. :)

Andrzej

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
A better way to say that properly is that an HD signal can be DOWNCONVERTED to 480i and connected via composite or s-video for display on an old analog NTSC TV in interlaced format.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.