Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I'm building a new house and have planned for a PDP over our direct-vent fireplace. We're closing soon, so I'll be ready to buy soon.

I was excited to hear that the TH42PWD8UK was recently released, so I might be able to tget the latest and greatest. Now I'm looking around and seeing that the TH42PD50U is available for nearly the same price.

I know that the 8UK is the commercial model, and that the 50U is the last-generation consumer model. I also know that I'd get speakers and an ATSC tuner with the 50U. This seems like a no-brainer, but I'm not sure.

So it's an easy question: what features/PQ/niceties would I be missing out on by getting the 50U rather than the 8UK? Anything big that would be a deal breaker?

TIA for help!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
greetings

Well the consumer version can't be professionally calibrated for grayscale so you'd better like the color scheme OOTB, because that's all there is.

Regards

·
Registered
765 Posts
Jargoone,

I have been searching for the answer to your question for several weeks, and have asked the question to this forum several times and each time it was either ignored or received similarly cryptic response. I will add my questions to yours and maybe we will get some definitive answers.

The PWD8UK specs talk about 13 bit processing if you feed it through HDMI...that means 4096 grayscale steps instead of 2048 if fed by component or anything else. I am assuming that the additional steps will reduce or eliminate the false contouring artifacts. There is also an accompanying increase in color depth to 65 billion...don't know whether that will be noticeable or not , but it sounds worthwhile. DOES THE PD50 DO THESE SAME TRICKS ?

The 8UK does split screen or PIP in some fashion that the PD50 cannot, and it has zoom modes that the PD50 lacks. Again, I only know enough to be dangerous on this stuff.

THe 8UK has configurable slots for additional "blades" , ie. HDMI, DVI, Component or Composite...so theoretically you can have two HDMI inputs whereas the PD50 can't do this trick.

I personally don't like the silver plastic on the PD50, so the dark gray frame around the 8UK appeals to me much more...but the 8UK supposedly comes in silver and gray.

Since the 8UK lacks a tuner of any kind, it doesn't have a slot so you can't use a cablecard, which, according to Optivity yields a superior picture to any STB on the market. Not sure if the PD50 has a card slot, but OP has convinced me that I want one. OK, just learned that the PD50 does not have a cablecard slot.

Somebody please rescue me here...this man deserves better help than I can give !!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hi all,

I’ve been trying to decide between the 50†HD models of these two lines but many of the issues are the same. I’d really like to see some responses to the questions that tomboyter raises but I’m not sure if definitive answers to his questions are known at this point.

One thing I’ll add is that the consumer models have an in-home warranty and the commercial models do not. This is probably the biggest issue swaying me toward the consumer version (I live just 40 miles from Panasonic’s US headquarters, I don’t own a truck). The cable card is another issue for me but I don’t think either model you’re considering has one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.