AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the PWD6UY and then had a problem with it and finally got Panasonic to replace it. Wasn't an easy process but anyways they did and it came yesterday. Well I checked everything over and made sure there were no scratches or anything on the glass and then set everything up. I noticed when I turned it on that the picture looked slightly different and that the screen door effect wasn't there even when I was standing right next to the screen. I checked and I couldn't believe it but they sent me the wrong model. They sent me the PHD6UY instead of the PWD6UY. The picture is actually great, very bright. Even SD tv to me looks better but I was very happy with the ED one too. I do notice the difference in the contrast between this one and the PWD but the gain in picture quality I think makes it worth it. My problem is I couldn't hear the old one buzzing at all unless I was listening at the back of the unit. This PHD one to me is quite noticeable when there's a quiet scene in a movie from even about 8 feet away. It's not wall mounted. They may not care and let me keep the HD since now it's used anyways, not my fault they sent the wrong one....but if I complain about the buzzing and have them exchange it odds are I'll probably get the ED again. I just can't make up my mind what to do. Anyone else having the buzzing problem with the HD unit? I noticed this one has a fan too and the ED didn't.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's my buzzing saga...

I first had the PT-42PD3-P and I never heard a buzz unless I stood right next to it.

My first TH-42PWD6UY buzzed significantly louder than my old PD3-P, Panasonic switched it out for a new one.

The 2nd 6UY actually buzzes louder than the first 6UY during its first 10 minutes of operation, then it quiets down to the same level as the first 6UY. Quieter, but still annoying.

I can hear the buzz on this panel at 12+ feet back if I mute the volume or during very quiet scenes.

I took my 2nd 6UY in for service to the nearest carry-in support center which was over 100+ miles from my house. The tech. also had a 5 series there to compare the buzz. He agreed with my finding that the 6 Series buzzes louder than the 5 series. He said there was nothing wrong with the unit.

I think Panasonic took a step backward with their buzzing progress on the 6 series.

I know a lot of 6UY owners on this board say they have heard no buzzing from their 6UY. I was actually invited over to an avsforum.com members' home to listen to his 6UY to compare the buzz to mine. Prior to my visit, he had never heard the buzz from any distance. When I arrived and we listened together, he admitted he could hear the buzz at around 10 ft with me. I concluded that his buzz was just as loud as my buzz.

If you were to buy 10 plasmas, you would undoubtedly find a very quiet one in the lot, but who can exchange 10 plasmas?

Sometimes you just gotta live with the buzz.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had problem with loud buzzing with my pwd-6uy. I had it on TV stand, fairly close to the wall. Since then, I moved it about a foot off the wall and the buzzing stopped.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
The right thing to do is contact Panasonic and disclose the mistake with them. They may let you keep it or they may not. The point is they may not be aware of the mistake, but you are. One's integrity is worth more then a Plasma any-day.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
This one's easy.

Sell the HD to a friend for + $1500 more than the SD cost.

Then take the cash and buy a new Panny ED Plasma.

Use the extra $1500 and take a nice trip to Europe or Hawaii on Panasonic.

Just think of all the time you waste at work or home trying to fix a problem caused by bad Microsoft software or a crapy computer. Those hours are taken off the end of your life. Here is your reward.

You win some you loose some.

Regards,

Your former president

William Jefferson Clinton

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blackbody
I've had problem with loud buzzing with my pwd-6uy. I had it on TV stand, fairly close to the wall. Since then, I moved it about a foot off the wall and the buzzing stopped.
Blackbody, I believe you're right.

When my 6UY is wall mounted, the buzzing is very noticable. When I pull it off the wall, the buzzing is hard to hear.

I think the buzz of the 6UY is inherently amplified when it is close to a wall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My PHD6 is mounted on a table stand about 1 foot from the wall. I can hear it buzz only when I stick my head around to the back of the panel. From in front of the panel, I hear absolutely nothing, even from 2 inches.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spinynorman
My PHD6 is mounted on a table stand about 1 foot from the wall. I can hear it buzz only when I stick my head around to the back of the panel. From in front of the panel, I hear absolutely nothing, even from 2 inches.
Same here...

Harley

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley
Same here...

Harley
Does that mean you too got an HD now!:)

Lisa is in for some serious "trout slapping" if I missed both the HD and SUDS!!!!:p

Therese

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkMSM
Blackbody, I believe you're right.

When my 6UY is wall mounted, the buzzing is very noticable. When I pull it off the wall, the buzzing is hard to hear.

I think the buzz of the 6UY is inherently amplified when it is close to a wall.
I think, in my case, the panny was overheating due to lack of air circulation at the back of the panel (it was about 4" off the wall originally). I think it is very important to make sure there are room for air circulation at the back.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try some foam or a pillow at the back of the plasma. Try not to start a fire.

If this helps then the sound is bouncing off the wall or resonating.

Try some soft foam material to use as a sound deadener.

Even a plush carpet remnant may help.

I think they make something for cars to place inside door panels.

(Check the Crutchfield catalog).

I am starting to get a buzz on and I don't even have a plasma yet.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Originally posted by Stealthfighter

Try some foam or a pillow at the back of the plasma. Try not to start a fire.

If this helps then the sound is bouncing off the wall or resonating.

Try some soft foam material to use as a sound deadener.

Even a plush carpet remnant may help.

I think they make something for cars to place inside door panels.

QUOTE]

What you're most likely thinking of is called Dynamat. However, I'm not really sure if this would work or not as it is intended to reduce vibration rather than dampen sound. However, if someone is in a position to test (and doesn't mind sticking a piece of flypaper on their plasma), it might be worth applying a small (10"x10") piece to the back of the display to see if the case is amplifying the buzz any. I don't think sticking it on the wall would achieve much as it doesn't really absorb sound.

There are other sound absorbing materials out there though that could be used if dynamat on the unit didn't help. However, as mentioned above, even a piece of carpet at the point of reverb would help stop the sound.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used a piece of burber carpet about 14" high and 6" wide in an attempt to dampen the buzzing.

I attached it to the wall behind the plasma's left side (when facing it). This is where the buzzing appeared to be coming from.

It helps a little bit.

What bugs me the most is the loud pitched buzzing during bright scenes when the set if first turned on. After it's been on for about 10-15 mintues it gets quieter and tolerable. It's annoying late night or early morning when the house is quiet and the volume is down low.

I'm just going to live with it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Do the right thing and contact Panasonic. Chances are if you had any warranty problems it would be discovered then.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well my guess is Panny sent yu the HD as a good will gesture for all the heart ache yu went through with the first unit. Enjoy it in good health.

Paul

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.