AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy a new tv can't deciede weather to get a TH58PZ800U for 2500.00 or i can get a samsung 56" dlp for about 1000.00.. my maind concern with the plasma is glare because it will be in the living room i have seen the pq on the samsung it is not bad but i have a 42" panny in my bedroom and love it the pq is great so i would like to get one for the living room also but just worry about the glare..give me your thoughts on this thank you.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
I never had any problem with panny plasma. And I have plenty of windows in my room.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just my $.02, I have a 42 inch Samsung plasma in my bedroom and unless I knock out most of the ambient light, it is basically unwatchable due to glare. The TV has a better picture than any of the LCDs in the house but if you can't control the light, my opinion is don't go with the plasma. Happy hunting !!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the living room is not bright at all i have shades in the windows but some light gets thru here and there.. i know thats a problem with plasma's i just hate to get one and not be able to watch it or have ot do something with the windows in order to watch it....

also do you guys think the plasma is worth 1500.00 more then the DLP? i know dlp is old tech but it seems to me has a better picture then lcd's to me lcd's look grainy....

tks for the input i might just get the 50" at costco and the price will be close but i would rather have the 58" the viewing distance is 14foot so i think the 58 would be better......

·
Vendor
32,724 Posts
I would choose the plasma as the viewing angles are much better on a plasma display. If you go rear projection keep in mind the 7 series from Samsung as there are no bulbs to replace. These units have a LED light engine. Bulob based units will kill ya with the replacement costs of the bulbs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15525169

I would choose the plasma as the viewing angles are much better on a plasma display. If you go rear projection keep in mind the 7 series from Samsung as there are no bulbs to replace. These units have a LED light engine. Bulob based units will kill ya with the replacement costs of the bulbs.

tks cleveland.. you having any deals for the super bowl on some panny units?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I agree with the guys, you are better spending the extra for the 58PZ800 as everyone has highlighted. DLP is on its way out. LaserTV remains as the bread and butter for Mits and hope to maintain its survival. Many manufacturer's, such as Samsung and Sony have ceased production on RPTVs and have jumped ship into manufacturing LED LCDs and OLED market.

Chris

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tks guys i am leaning towards the plasma i might knock it down and get the 50" instead of the 58"..the 58" is alittle to high..

have to wait another week or so to see who has the best deals on tv's.....

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The 50PZ800U or Samsung 50A650 are good choices and well under your budget. For LCD even consider the Samsung 52A650 as well.

Chris

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wish panny made a model in between the 50 and 58 .. i think maybe the 58 might be over kill for my room size.. from tv to seating area is 14' right now i have a 52 rear projection mna the things you have to deceide on in life...

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman62 /forum/post/15528581

i wish panny made a model in between the 50 and 58 .. i think maybe the 58 might be over kill for my room size.. from tv to seating area is 14' right now i have a 52 rear projection mna the things you have to deceide on in life...

TC-P54S10 or TC-P54V10 would be perfect for your solution!

Although the wait could be long.

Chris

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Kman, I feel your pain. My wife and I have been thinking about upgrading to a 1080p set as we've had a 720p NEC Plasma for almost 4 years now (Bought it from Chris @ Cleveland Plasma, was a great experience, wouldn't hesitate to recommend them). I like the size/cost ratio of the Samsung Series 7 DLP sets, but as others have pointed out, you will have issues with viewing cones, etc.

At the end of the day you need to do what works for you. Any possible way you could consider some drapes, etc to keep out the light?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chris i don't know how long i can wait my hitachi 50" rear projection isn't doing very well.. when i first turn it on the picture goes small then big for a few mins i guess until the tv warms up then its fine i am sure it won't be long it will die its 12 years old...

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I can understand. You may want to get something within the 50" range, then upgrade to a larger display later as the new models become available.

That's probably the best solution for you and your budget.

Chris

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman62 /forum/post/15528581

At 14' I think you should save a little more ($2.5k - $2.7k) and get the 58" 800u

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gq if the prices comes down alot or somebody has a sale on the 58" for super bowl i will jump on it...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Something to be aware of with the 58PZ800U. The brightness will not knock your socks off. I to have a 42" plasma panny in the bedroom and bought the 58PZ800u as think it would be a larger better version of the 42px600U. NOPE. The 58" can't get as bright without running into white saturation. Its a fine line to walk between white saturation (chris collinsworths forehead) and black crush (commentators dark grey suits don look natural).

Watched the same show on my parents Sony LCD rear projection (A3000 i think) and didn't have any of thee issues. While the picture was not quite as precise as my plasma it was very good and didn't have any problem with white or black crush at good brightness level.

That said the 58pz800u with a bluray movie.....perfect picture.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I've been thinking about this myself. Price is the same right now for a Panny 50pz85u and a 61" Samsung LED DLP. I can't justify paying $2500+ right now on a tv so I could just buy the larger dlp and then in a couple years when NEO ECC is more mature I can upgrade to a larger/better plasma then. Overall plasma has a better picture but the led dlp is no slouch either and that extra 11" would make a HUGE difference. It also weighs less than a 50" plasma even though it's bigger. I have a 50" 720p Panny right now and it feels too small, especially with movies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
50" vs 58"

thats what i found. 50" still looked like a tv while 58 and above looked more like a movie. this was 8 to 14' away from the set.

I looked at dlp sammys but the screen box was very flimsy and cheep feeling. the screen didn't look as durable. Especially important to me as i have little kids

1 - 20 of 89 Posts