AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you Alan Gouger, David Bott, Mark Hunter, Jerome Saliga and the countless others who have helped me realize my dream of owning a first class home theater. At long last my HT is exactly where I want it to be. I don't think I could benefit from any further experimentation, upgrades, add-ons, or tweaks of any kind. Now when I power on my system I just sit back with my jaw on the floor. Everything is adjusted properly. Everything is working smoothly and reliably. I could never have reached this point without your help and advice. You are the best. You have gone way beyond the call of duty with your time and your willingness to share your invaluable knowledge. You are the greatest folks in the whole wide world.

THANKS,

Bob

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Ditto!(Bobs post, not gongshows) :D

It truly is a great feeling when you realize that you're at a point you only once dreamed you'd be at someday.

Chris

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barco Graphics 808s

Hughes JVC G1000 w/Dilard calibration

Dish 6000

AMD 1.2 Ghz Radeon equipped HTPC (ATI, WinDVD 2.8 & 3.0); Soundblaster Live

Kenwood VR-307

Onkyo 12" 3-way fronts

Bose 301 rears

Velodyne 10" sub

Pronto TSU-2000

Colorfacts (coming soon)

p.s. I reached nirvana this afternoon when my home theater mentor taught me a technique to achieve a near perfect grayscale

with my CRT projector. That has sent me completely over to the Dark Side.

Bob

·
Registered
846 Posts
This post got me thinking (Bob's not gongshow's)

I just realized I am in exactly the opposite position.

My HTPC crashed last week and I couldn't recover it without starting from scratch.

I "upgraded" to an annoyingly unstable WinXP and Radeon 8500 combination.

The ATI DVD player won't even run.

My LT150 over my head sounds like it's about to take off for New Zealand.

The panamorph, while making the image more CRT like, broke the geometry of the image.

I have another panamorph on order that is being held hostage by the business equivalence of the Marx Brothers.

So, in summary...bah.

--Les

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Arrow,

The best hush-box for the LT150 is the big round knob on your receiver. Turn clockwise.

So I see you paid big bucks to become an ATI 8500 betatester? Also, XP with ATI - what were you thinking.? Egon, warned you about not crossing the streams. (I've Been there, done that.)

Bob,

Speaking of crossing the streams, are you going to double stack your G1000 and 808? C'mon what could it hurt? :)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hiko,

It was about the least exotic thing you can imagine. First he put up a screen that has a suitable shade of gray (he likes to use the gray test pattern in VE). Then he backed way off both the contrast and brightness. At this point if any of the three cut-offs are not in balance the "gray" screen will then exhibit a very obvious tint that was not seen with normal settings. In my case I had it too green. We brought the green cut-off down until the the test pattern again looked gray. It still had just a slight blue tint. So we backed off the blue cut-off ever so slightly. We put the contrast and brightness back up again and then put on a movie and I could hardly believe my eyes. Flesh tones were now the most natural I had ever seen. The sky was now the color of sky and no longer tinted. There was no yellowish cast. All the little nuances of color detail in the 1080i picture sprung to life like never before.

Bob

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my little room I use only an 80" wide screen. So the 8"er is plenty up to the job. Hope that's still the case when I get it on the ceiling because I won't be able to use the High Power anymore.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.