AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for HDTV and DD 5.1 info from AT&T broadband/ cable and got this info regarding their cable STB (pay attention to 2nd paragraph):

- - - - - - -

"At this time our digital receivers provide two channel (four derived) Dolby Surround Pro-Logic versus the six discrete channels provided by Dolby Digital. Just as with Dolby Digital, your equipment and programming must be equipped with a Dolby Surround Pro-Logic decoder to take advantage of Dolby Surround Pro-Logic programming.

The fact that our receivers do not yet pass Dolby Digital 5.1 does not prevent you from enjoying the benefits of Dolby Digital 5.1 through the use of other components, such as DVD players."

- - - - - - -

tears of gratitude filled my eyes when i realized AT&T will kindly still allow me to continue using my DD and dts encoded DVDs!

(but these tears will turn into tears of frustration when you call them & attempt to talk to ANYONE who has actually heard of HDTV...)

ps: what can i look forward to w/ comcast?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Yea, ain't the nice of them. You'll really like it if you actually get a box and the front shows the Dolby Digital logo, but when you look on the back the opening for the DD output just has a metal blank in it, no connector. Comcast will really have to get on the ball here if they have any hope of winning me back from DBS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bossmonkey

The fact that our receivers do not yet pass Dolby Digital 5.1 does not prevent you from enjoying the benefits of Dolby Digital 5.1 through the use of other components, such as DVD players."
Thanks for that. I needed a good laugh today.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Do they even REALIZE they tell you there to use another video component and turn theirs off?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My personal favorite is from their faq ( http://www.attbroadband.com/services...CableFAQ.jhtml ) regarding digital cable and HDTV...

Quote:
Is Digital Cable the same thing as HDTV(High Definition TV)?

No. HDTV refers to a specific kind of digital signal format that requires a special television set, which currently costs between $2000 and $3000! Digital Cable, on the other hand, works with the cable already wired to your existing TV. So there's no expensive equipment to buy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm getting both HDTV and 5.1 through AT&T currently. 5.1 (premium channels only) started about two and a half months ago in my area and HDTV (HBO and Showtime) started on October 30th. All I had to do was schedule an appointment to swap out my box for one of the new ones. The information on their website doesn't seem to be updated, but if you call them you may find out these services are now available in your area.

>> Comcast will really have to get on the ball here if they have any hope of winning me back from DBS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.