AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone here on AVS Forum. I've been a heavy reader of the forum for a couple of years now, but a light poster. I've been following projectors very closely over that period and started to purchase a couple of times, but held off.

I am about to complete my new home that I've been building this year. My wife and I decided we needed a dedicated HT in our new home, so the time had finally come to make the purchase. I purchased an Infocus SP7200 this week. This purchase was made based on research only and primarily from reading AVS Forum.

I'd also like to thank Jason at AV Science for helping me out with a screen yesterday.

Vic

·
Registered
936 Posts
Congrats Vic!

We also purchased an Infocus 7200 and absolutely love it. What screen will you use?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Vic, congratulations

You need to look up Bob Williams settings when using a Bravo D1 DVI/DVD player. I think he posted them on the first and very long "Yep $200 for a DVI DVD player thread."

·
Registered
107 Posts
vgrubb, can you share what tipped you over to the 'buy now' camp and the IF7200 in particular ? What other pojectors were on your recent shortlist and what are your projection setup constraints?

thanks !

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Ok Vic, When you get a Bravo D1 (which you should). Here's Bob's post, that thread is a monster, figured it would be a little easier to fish for me. Here you go -

"Originally posted by Bob Williams

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Bravo D1 looks very good through DVI into the ScreenPlay 7200 test unit I have in my lab. It produces the best looking DVD playback I have seen to date.

The Bravo D1 seems to output CCIR 601 standard video which only contains brightness values from 16 to 240 out of 255, and this is consistent with the mastering of the DVD so this is fine. However, to take advantage of the full contrast ratio of the projector both brightness and contrast need to be adjusted. You can do this by setting brightness to 44 and contrast to 55.

If you are comfortable with the advanced menus, then I suggest instead of using the brightness and contrast control that you use the color offsets and gains. The brightness and contrast controls for the DVI input operate in 8 bits, while the color controls operate in 10 bits. So for the ultimate performance, leave brightness and contrast at 50, 50, and set the color offsets to 39 and the color gains to 66. This should eliminate any contouring due to loss of bit depth. "

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've thought about getting a Bravo, but I've also been thinking about waiting on the new Denon. If a person just knew how long it will be before the DVI is enabled on the Denon.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
You made OK choices, but for newbies I recommend strongly to go to a trade show like Infocomm, CES or CEDIA and look for yourself and adjust for your own personal situation.

AVSforum is good for educating oneself as to what to look for in an FPJ. Different things matter depending on the user and no one PJ will fit all user needs and budgets. Opinions don't substitute for the user experience.

If one goes to a show, they get a great idea of the performance range and with the help of the forum can distinguish between the performance subtleties.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost went to CEDIA, but I just couldn't get away from the house construction. I had pretty much made up my mind on the 7200 already though. I do agree that a person should audition before purchasing if they can.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
One thing to be aware of when demoing PJs, whether in a store or at a trade show, is that any PJs PQ is dependant on being properly calibrated. My experience is that you can't count on this being done most of the time. IMHO, it is the most common reason that you some times find such widely divergent demo experiences with the same PJ.

I got to where I would take Avia with me and ask to set the basic adustments myself. Most of the salesmen didn't even know what Avia was.

Even when I was seeing one demo put on by the manufacturer, the PJ had not been calibrated with any test pattern, and it was way off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.