Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First of all all the thanks to Amir for helping us with WM9 issue and providing detail info.

Before this WM9, all about HD-DVD is just pure talking. Now the real thing is here, if Microsoft and the content provider can DO THE RIGHT THING.

IMO, my HD-DVD at this moment (in this year) is:

- WMV9 encoded on DVD

- full use of DVD-9 storage ( NOT as some bonus feature to share the space)

- 1280x720p (anamorphic coding for other aspect ratio content, aka no black bar)

- video at ~8Mbps, audio at ~384Kbps

A 133mins movie is around 8G size for the above spec and should fit easily on a DVD-9. For other material, make a 2-discs set.

Why 1280x720p? So that they can always re-release (again!) the title later in 1080p! Seriously, I believe a properly processed 720p is already good enough for a BIG screen showing. And most important is to actually get better encoding quality with less pixel. Remember the bitrate is still much lower than HD MPEG2 at >20Mbps. I'll take a great looking 720p picture than a lousy 1080p at a given bitrate. When they do WM10 on blue laser they can re-re-release the title in 1080p at 20Mbps.

Together with the small magic box that transcode WMA to DD/DTS that Amir talked about, this is HD-DVD in reality, NOW.

So Amir, tell me all these will happen in this year...

Btw Amir, besides Artisan, any studio is going to join the ride? Just give us some hints? :)

regards,

Li On

PS: if these WM9 HD-DVD goes well, we'll have tons more HTPC users!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well, if all goes according to plan, standalone DVD players will play WM9s. Isn't the new Polaroid DVD player supposed to support WM9?

Another BIG hurdle is convincing MPAA about copy protection and WM9 DVD's. Good luck Bill.

Finally, I don't think we will see much acceptance of a 720p standard. The big boys with the big bucks and the high rolling manufacturers won't settle for 720 when 1080 is available.

There will always be a place for WM9, but I suspect it will stay mostly within the PC realm, used as a very convenient method of compressing HD content.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.