AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick thank you to everyone thats helped me decide on my build from scratch Home Theatre. To help anyone else starting from scratch...and to show you where your advice led...This is what I went for:

Panasonic Plasma PW4 ($6,400).... becoz of all the great reviews on this site...excellent buy

Sharp VS2000W ($250) - Super VHS video - bought to use as a tuner - needed a Pal tuner..and needed Nicam...and was cheapest SVHS for better connection...no digital TV in HK but pictures are okay

Arcam FMJ DV27 ($1800) - maybe a controversial one here....US listeners did not seem impressed...but all the Brits seemed to love it... I wanted a DVD player that I could also use for music.....is also upgradeable if DVD-A ever takes off.......also being British and having an Arcam-nut father also helped persuade me..and the fact I got 25% off the price..excellent performance so far (one DVD, one CD)....but I need the Pal prog hack...

Integra 9.1/Onkyo 989 ($1600)......wanted the Denon A1/5800....but this was $900 cheaper and I couldn't really hear any difference...limited testing but great so far

B&W CM4..fronts ($1150)...beautiful..look sound everything...

B&W CMC ($425)....too match the CM4's...but too be honest the sound really didnt sound much difference to the cheaperB&W ss6c

Dynaudio Bipole 0.5's ($165)....cheap but do the job...ideally I'd have the MC2's but my room is too small for them....so I'll wait to upgrade when I next move.....the Dynaudios were better than the LM1...the DS6 were too big and ugly...these are perfect.....

Sub...well....no sub so far :( . .......... not sure if the neighbours can handle a sub...and also I thought that the B&W ASW500 was a bit too large

As for wires and cables ...not too sure what they are...here I'm having a problem....I got a HT installation guy to do it....but I am suspicious and think he made a bit of a mess.....eg I want DVD and I have to choose Tape 1 on the Onkyo....I have loads of centre-amp cable all over the place...despite the fact they are about 30 cm apart.....

any advice for ways to connect the above would be vastly appreciated.....

thanks again..

steve

·
Registered
799 Posts
Steve, congrats on your HT & sounds like an excellent starter system. If Arcam's CD reputation carries over to it's DVD players I'd say you're covered.

Since you already hired the guy to install it for you I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I find putting/connecting one's system together part of the enjoyment. It also helps to know exactly how everything is put together in case one needs to troubleshoot/upgrade.

Depending on the inputs/outputs of your VCR, DVD player & TV you can go direct from the DVD player & VCR to the TV video wise while use the receiver to route & process the audio that is if you don't have another TV/monitor to connect to. Most likely you will go component b/w the DVD player & TV, S-video from VCR to TV.

For audio, one coaxial or optical cable from the DVD player's digital out to the receiver's digital in should work as the VCR will take up the receiver's other video input via the analog (2 RCA cables) connection.

Speaker connection should be as straightforward as it can be and by the time everything is supposingly hooked up, double check all connections one more time, also make sure the connections are snuggly plugged in. By then it might be the best time to reread the manuals (or at least parts of them) for you will need to go into the DVD player, the receiver & prob the TV's menu for proper settings/assignments.

Good luck and have fun.

PF

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks pmf.

The arcam at first listen sounds superb = but havent had a chance to really test it yet.

I agree with you regarding the cable setting up yourself - however all my equipment came with no cables - and the place I bought the cables basically agree to wire everything up for you for the same price. They sent someone else over today - and he was here 4 hours setting things up.

now the fun starts...as I have to go thru all the different surround modes etc. etc.........and I still need to get a subwoofer.....

Now just discovering that Region 3 DVDs only seem to come with Digital Dolby Surround.......I could but Region 1 - but R3 only cost around US$2 in China!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Steve, when you first mentioned HK I thought you meant UK but then you said China... Is that where you are @? I am originally from HK but has been in the US for over two decades. We kinda take things for granted with Radio Shack, BestBuy & Circuit City here fighting for our business everywhere anytime. I didn't pick up this hobby til 'bout 5 years ago hence wouldn't know what to expect if I were in HK doing this. I am sure you can get or order individual cables there but it'll probably be more hassle than walking into RS picking things off the rack. Last time I was in HK two years ago I had a hard time finding 'ALL' code DVD's to bring back to the US.

Anyway have fun and report back once you get your system in full throttle.

PF

·
Registered
17 Posts
Steve,

Where did you buy the Dynaudio bipoles? Dynaudio doesn't build dipoles, I'm sure. It's possibly some company that uses Dynaudio drivers to construct their own speakers. That doesn't make them Dynaudio speakers though.

I was just wondering, coz I have an all Dynaudio setup and I'm still looking for a pair of bipoles to match my Dyn's.

Han

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.