AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my newly modified Radeon card from Ken Hotte. Not sure what he did other than add 5 bnc output from the card but the difference is very large (I'd say amazing but people might think I exaggerated) I have it connected to my nec 135 and once warmed up the detail on even the desktop at 1800*[email protected] is much improved. But it really shines when the movie is running. I must have watched the pod racing scene half a dozen times withhout the sound on, just to make sure it was the picture I was evaluating, and at that resolution well....I'm just speechless....(Yes I was running ATI DVD) I can hardly wait for the TT producgt to be delivered,,,,hurry up you guys.....and Jeff..almost ready for you to make the trip out north west here....when can you get away????

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hey Gord, Try moving the resolution up to 1920x1200. I have been running at this resolution for DVD interpolation for some time now, and it is even better looking than the 1800x1200. A little more detail pops out at the 1920 over the 1800. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ken, What model do you modify?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
None in particular, but ilike the Radeon cards for modification. They work quite well. a fully blown HTPC is something i am looking at getting into... oh well. Not many takers on that sort of thing.

I don't really do mods on VGA cards, pre se, I did it mostly because i have done one for him before. if i had enough orders for such, I would pursue it again. If i had enough orders on syuch to keep me busy, i would quit my day job, and just do mods and custom gear for folks. I am certianly capable of doing such. i don't own a single piece of stock gear of any kind...except my cordless phone.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ken - you are always talking about how more power is good, I'm surprised you haven't hopped up the power supply on your phone to get extended range. Yer slipping man.

PS, I might be interested in a BNC'd card, I've got a Radeon 8500 in the mail to me. If it works well in the htpc (some reports of noise already), it would be a great candidate for that kind of upgrade.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
i don't own a single piece of stock gear of any kind...except my cordless phone.
Ken Ken Ken... I'm so dissapointed - no 11bd gain antenna on your phone's base station? Haven't scoped the phone's internals for stray RF? No amplified, noise cancelling headset hard wired in? Sigh... There's so much more that your phone could be, if only you cared enough to give it a little attention...

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Ihad some folks over this evening. They seemed to be impressed about the image fidelity. Oh well. Seeems the sound was good too. You see, my real job,(sorta) is loudspeaker design. You see, I might make something like a Vision 3x CRT projector for myself.. but The speakers? No one can even contemplate touching them in SQ. Not even close. Zero contest. Anyone got a real impossible task? I'm getting pretty bored here. Any way, A NEC LT150 came over. It never even made it out of the bag.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
What Russ and Grant missed when they came over, is the fact that later that same evening.. I took apart my CRT projector, did some more mods and dropped the noise floor signifigantly..again! So, now..I am starting to see 'pixel structure' at 1920x1200! Gah! Every time i get to a higer rez that works, i go and so somehting stupid like increase the image fidelity..and end up gettin an image tha is too good,and warts appear. Oh well. But that means... i can push up to a higer resolution! like 2160x1440, which is DVD 3X. I wonder how that looks.....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ken,

I'm the guy that reported noise issues with the 8500. Unfortunately you may not see it with a CRT.

The symptoms are when you are in 'pixel perfect' mode, (dot clocks in relative sync), on a D-ILA an ELSA Gladiac is rock solid. The 8500 is impossible to get that way. It is always 'jittery'. Furthermore, when you move the mouse it gets worse! When you have different applications open on the desktop it also changes

Do you think that it is clock jitter or just noise infecting the DAC?

Lastly, what all did you do to the Radeon besides BNC's? Would you consider doing more? It sounds like you could have some takers, (me included).

I did try a Radeon but it would not put out reference levels. Could you fix that? If so I would be interested in buying a cheap VE and having you do your thing.

What are your thoughts?

TIA,

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.