AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared the 2 converters last night. Source is a HTPC with a Radeon 9500. Projector is the good old Sony G70 on a 7' wide screen in 1280x720.

Watched many clips for a few hours ans switch between the 2 converters. Me and my friend's finding is the 2 converters give a very close picture. I think the old "box" converter (first generation without a power connection) seems a bit contrast while the new "cable" converter seems a bit more "refine". All in all, a wonderful picture and a great converter!

Later I came home and tried it on my Epson TW200H 1280x720 LCD projector. I tried the old "box" converter a few months ago and slightly prefer my old direct VGA connection. But lately my image starts to develop a subtle "ghosting" effect around some IRE level. I can't see the artifact in motion playback but it's detectable if I look real close on some small desktop text. The "ghosting" effect will change when I twist around the long VGA cable so it seems connection/cable related.

Unhook the VGA cable and connect a 6M DVI cable between the HTPC (Radeon 9500) to the "cable" converter, and hook the converter VGA end directly to the projector VGA input. Boot up the HTPC and I got a very BAD picture with a few large vertical bands and lots of thin horizontal streaking! I haven't use the long DVI cable for a while and I hope it's not a cable issue! Connect my old 17" CRT monitor to the display card VGA and had the same distorted picture on the CRT monitor! Tried switch to lower resolution like 800x600 but the picture was still heavily distorted! A reboot solved the issue. Now I got a PERFECT picture through the "cable" converter on the projector.

I'm moved! Speechless and greatly thankful! What a wonderful picture! Way way better than my old direct long VGA connection! Much sharper and "pop-out"! Picture layer is now much separated and 3D. Color looks much "punchy" and detail looks more in your face!

There is ZERO "ghosting"/"swearing" artifact. Every single pixel edge is perfectly sharp and solid.

Seriously, how much better can it get? :D

Thanks to all the for great picture!

regards,

Li On

PS: I didn't mention the forbidden word so I hope the post is ok here!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Li On,

I think I know what you're talking about but would you PM'ing me about the "cable" converter? Model? Pricing? etc?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Now that's truly great news.

I had already contacted the manufacturer of the cable converter about availability in Europe, but they didn't come back to me.

Looks like I'll try and get it from DC then.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, it's fun to see you lost! In that case I don't want to reveal more! kschmit2 seems know perfectly well of my doing so let's just say you haven't follow the story too close! :D

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I've got one for "insurance", but I don't consider it videophile grade. Others have seen white crush with it, and its video DAC does not seem that great.

It looked pretty good on a smaller screen, but when I used it with my BG 1208/2 projector on a 106" 16:9 screen, I was not as happy.

Dave

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm not sure what the big secret is either, but I got one of these new commercially available units last night from our same friends at DC:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/DDA.ASP

Initial reaction is that I'm really impressed. My JVC HM-D5U DVHS deck supplies power to it just fine thru the HMDI cable, and 1080I at my Ampro 4200 projector has never looked better. The JVC has an "HMDI to DVI Color Standard" Standard or Enhanced mode setup switch that takes care of the "crushed blacks" rather nicely.

Ray

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Sounds like a HD digital DVI -> analog VGA converter to me. Probably one which "disables" HDCP?
Guys, this isn't wise to discuss this on a public forum!!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Li On,

Good to hear that it worked out for you. This is a good time to mention (and should answer sfogg's question) regarding the use of PC video and resolutions.

First, the device is actually "programmed" for the DDC to boot at specific resolutions, however there are normally quirks in devices that report EDID to the PC. If you do not get an image on screen upon boot up, there are few tricks that you may have to employ. I am currently running my Radeon at 1920x1200 and have no problem with the converter. Having the converter closest to the display will provide the best image quality. In fact, the new in-line device is designed to connect directly to a VGA display and a standard DVI cable from it to the source.

As for non-standard resolution, it does not matter as the device is designed to output the same resolution as it receives.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi oferlaor, I guess now you understand my post! :) Please step in and edit out the forbidden word!

Dave, I don't know why you keep complaining the converter D/A quality. My test on many HTPC setups on a high-end CRT projector (mostly the Sony G70) all proved that the converters (both "box" and "cable" version) give a much powerful picture without any ill side effect, than a direct VGA out from the display card, on a large 8' wide screen.

Obviously one can't compare the converter on a digital projector with builtin DVI/HDMI input as those display don't need the converter in the first place.

On a VGA only digital projector, like my Epson TW200H, my comment about the old "box" converter is in

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Kei,

"As for non-standard resolution, it does not matter as the device is designed to output the same resolution as it receives."

Thanks, I picked up a DVI cable tonight and just gave the converter a whirl with my G10. No problem with it syncing/outputting to 1365x1024 and 1365x768. Picture looked good but I need to compare it more against the RGBHV feed from the Lumagen. One thing I did notice though is on full black screens I was getting what sort of looked like faint vertical bands on the screen. Same thing over RGBHV didn't have that.

It is plugged into a different input on the G10 so I don't know if it is an artifact of that input or of the converter.

Shawn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.