AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate the seemingly thousand of posts that i reviewed in reaching a decision in addition to hours of in store review. Spent a couple of months on the 42" ED Panasonic vs the 43" Pioneer fence with my decision changing weekly. Then a few posts mentioned the new Fujitsu ED 42".

Having spent all of the time viewing other models, ended buying this sight unseen based on posts on the board and Fujitsu's reputation. A local dealer fortunately came substantially off msrp so was essentially the same price as the 42" Panny ED at local b&m mainstreet electronic stores. Better warranty. more component inputs + DVI made it a no brainer for me. Once i managed to wait the 2 weeks for it to come in, so excited that my 7 old daughter was the only person available to help with the set up so the smart thing would have been to wait. Not a chance, Emily earned a set of rollerblades for her help in getting it in from the truck and set up the stand.

Had it together just in time for CSI through Time Warner HD. Impressive. My wife showed up just as CSI started, sat down & said she could get used to this! She usually cares less about electronics and had no real excitement when we put together a 50" rear projection HD set up 2 years ago. The only problem has been everyone wanting to watch it & they won't let me play with all of the setting because they think it detracts from the movie to have me constantly adjusting it! Have spent a week watching the basic settings out of the box with just contrast & brightness down a few notches. Some night when they are out will run it through video essentials set up. Have it set up with Pioneer Elite vsx35tx, Atlantic Technology t70's speakers. Toshiba 4700 dvd. Looks great, sounds great! Impressed with their stretch modes. SD is very watchable even on the worst channels. HBO channels generally very good. HBO HD & Network HD can be breathtaking. The standard DVD demo movies look fantastic. Deep blacks & great colors!

Only item i don't like so far is unable to use stretch modes on TW's HD channels when they are broadcasting in 4:3. Not sure there is a workaround with the TW box. Have a minor issue with video noise primarily in HD mode, subtle flickering in blacks near the edges of the display that has me changing the routing of a few wires, checking cable & electrical grounds. Up next is removing some of the 5 dimmer switches we have in the house or looking at one of the power line conditioners to see if that takes care of it.

Thanks again for all of the comments that have helped me learn so much about the Plasma world.

greg

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congratulations Byrdman.

I have a 42VHA20US being delivered and mounted on Tuesday. I cannot wait. While the ED Panny seems like a better deal, I had the opportunity to test them side by side and the Fuji won. I had a hard time telling the difference between the VHA and the 50" HD Fuji.

I will not have HD until DirectTV comes out with their HDTivo so I am very interested in how everyday SD looks. Are you at all concerned about this flicker you mentioned? I hope it isn't a display problem. I'm also interested in your settings and which inputs you've tried. I know that component is supposed to be superior to S-video, but I've heard that a lot depends on the display and source. Any fan noise? Any pictures?

You had a 7 year old help you lift and move the thing?! You got guts man, I'll give you that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Byrdman,

I wouldn't blame the flickering on TWC's HD signal on the Fuji -- and I wouldn't be surprised if nothing, except turning down the brightness, really helps. I have noticed the same issue using TWC here in NYC as well. It is particularly noticeable on my direct view Sony 34XBR800. I returned the first set because of the problem, only to have the second one do it as well. I've also tried line conditioners to no avail. Although I mostly have not noticed the issue with my Sony 32TS2 plasma, occasionally I can see some slight flickering in dark scenes. I've called TWC and had them switch out the box and try adjusting the cable, but it is still there. Essentially, I've learned to live with it -- and most of the time I don't notice it. (My wife doesn't notice it at all.) By the way, as far as I know, there's nothing you can do to fit the 4:3 material coming through HD component on the TWC box. I'm happy to hear about your experience with the Fuji, as I've been looking to get the same one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ferky1, pleased with SD which was something that was worried about. Varies with quality of channel but most definably watchable. Have tried all of the inputs using monster cables. There is a couple of second delay between input change which makes AB difficult as close as they are. Currently using s video but think that was just personal preference rather than saying one is better than the other. THink you will love the set when you get it all hooked up. From in front of the display, no noise to speak. COuld be wrong but thought had seen a TrainerDave post saying no fans. While reviewing cable hooks ups fron the back, a very light hum that cannot be noticed from the front. Tried to get through Video Essential on DVD input this morning using dynamic mode & came up with

contrast -7

brightness -4

color +2

tint +3

sharpness -4

JBA87, thanks for the input on the flicker. It something that no one in the family has mentioned but i know it's there. Appears at the settings it was at, the slight flicker would be right at that level that would take it to from black to grey. Went with contrast of -7 & brightness of -4 & seems to be less noticeable to me. Flipped the circuit this morning to see what all was on the line and my problem might just be too many things on the line. Might end up trying to fish a dedicated line in for the HT.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As posted in another thread, I am about to join the Fujitsu crowd with the scheduled delivery of a P42VHA and table stand this week. I have noticed several people on this forum have recently purchased this model. Hopefully there will be opportunities to share info such as picture settings, remote use, etc. once we get familiar with them. PM me if you are interested in price paid.

Pete...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.