AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking and learning on both the plasma and HDTV hardware forums for several months. Just wanted to thank one and all for your help (intended or not!) in putting together my new HT system. Especially wanted to thank Ofer LaOr, cheridave, rogo, Mark Rubin, Jim Bowden and ReesR - always even-handed in their views, full of reliable information and ready to admit that they don't know everything in the world.

As this was my first major system upgrade in 25 years (anybody need an old Tandberg 2060 receiver?), this was quite an adventure. It's amazing how complicated purchases have become and I owe a debt to everyone on this forum for helping to identify the right questions to ask. Here's what I ended up with:

Panny 42" HD plasma

Samsung TS160 HD D* sat receiver

Denon 4802 AV receiver

Denon 2800 Mk2

Yahama sub

PSB center and in-wall speakers

All video connections using component through the AV rcvr

All audio connections via optical

Considering the usual topics of conversation, here's some answers to anticipated questions:

- No, I don't have any noise with the Panny display, no dead pixels, no problems at all. And I live at about 5,500 ft above sea level.

- The samsung receiver does not have chroma, has not yet locked up with the dreaded "bad access card" message or shown any other bad behaviors. The packing box showed signs of having been opened and then repacked, giving me reason to believe that it might have been inspected and possibly fixed.

- HD looks very good on HDnet and HBOH - making me consider getting an OTA antenna. Regular D*, while certainly not as good as HD, isn't as terrible as I feared (and as some have described) and only looks bad by comparison to the HD stuff. Difference between the panny plasma and the panny 32" CRT it replaced is nil.

- I purchased the satellite stuff through American Satellite (fast, professional, timely) because it had the broadest selection of HD packages for multi-room D* installations.

- I purchased the panny plasma through a local HT outlet (high-end specialty shop), but armed with internet pricing deals managed to get out of the store paying about $300 premium for the comfort of having somebody's neck handy if I felt the need to choke someone.

- Denon equipment came via Good Guys. Again, armed with internet pricing managed to arrive at a reasonable deal. IMHO they are the best combo of knowledge and pricing flexibility among the big box stores available to me.

Among my very short list of complaints:

- Samsung output on the panny plasma seemed a bit dark. However, as viewing time passes on, things seem to be lightening up. I would guess this is the panny "breaking in" as others have noted. Will have the HT shop come back in a few weeks to calibrate.

- Would love to have an option on the samsung to directly pass through the picture and just use the panny plasma options for JUST, zoom, etc. Despite the many combinations, still can't seem to get what I want!

- APTIX remote control that comes with the denon 4802 is real pain. Might start up a cottage industry creating custom programming for this thing...

- Thumbs down on history channel, NatGeo and all others who insist on constantly displaying their logos. Luckily I can "zoom" most of them off the screen.

- Wish the house's builder, who had the in-wall speakers installed, had thought to center them over the HT cabinet rather than the fireplace. Nice for audio in front of the fire, but about 10' to the right of where it needs to be for tv watching. Maybe I'll find a use for my old b&w speakers after all!

Thanks again to one and all,

Rich

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
Rich

Thank you!

enjoy all your new gear!

Mark:)

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Rich,

I am humbled by your kindness and recognition to be included in a group of highly knowledgeable, reputable and caring bunch of folks that are here on the AVS Forum.

Congrats on your new Plasma. It will give you a lot of joy. Don't forget to post pictures in the "Members Picture Gallery".

Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're more than welcome - got a lot more than I can give!

Unfortunately, not much of a "picture" to post. Per my better half's instruction, the installation is "invisible" unless in use! I'm sure others know the feeling ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.