AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of folks have poted notes of thanks to the forum for their help, and I'd like to echo that. I got my new 42" Panasonic ED display yesterday, and it is really nice. The just mode for "regular" TV is really only noticable if you spend all your time looking the edge of the screen, and the DVDs I've tried have all been great. I kind of ended up in "while I'm at it" mode, so I got a bunch of other equipment. In fact, the only original piece of equipment left from my original setup is a Sony 4 head VCR. Here's what I ended up with:

Panasonic PT-42PD3 Display (Dmartstores)

Yamaha HTR-5560 Receiver (Crutchfield)

Panasonic RP62 DVD (Crutchfield)

Polk Audio RM6700 speaker system (Crutchfield)

Home Theater Master MX500 remote (BlueDo)

Sony VCR (existing)

60hr TiVo (existing)

The Yamaha reciever does component, svideo, and composite video switching. Based on experiences here, I hooked up the DVD player with component (and will do the same with the Panasonic HD tuner when it comes) and the VCR and TiVo with composite (there is also a composite for the DVD just so I can dub stuff from DVD to tape). I got all new cables from bluejeans cable.

The Polk system is one of those with four small satellites, a center speaker, and a subwoofer. Both my wife and I have noticed a substantial improvement in the video and audio with this system, and even though the display is technically larger than our old tube TV, it has less "presence" in the room, so the AV doesn't overwhelm the space.

The last piece of the puzzle for next weekend is to build a new cabinet for all the AV gear. Once I get that done I'll make sure to post some pictures.

Again, thanks to everyone for the guidance. I hope I can do the same for someone else down the road. :)

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Boy, some people have all the fun.

Enjoy all your new stuff and Happy Plasma-ing!

Dave

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congrats on your new Panny! I'm sure you're really going to enjoy it. I just got mine this past week from Dmartstores (these guys are great). A month ago I bought an RP62 as well ... great combo with the Panny plasma. I'm running Polk speakers as well, just with a Kenwood amp instead.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Miked2855
Congrats on your new Panny! I'm sure you're really going to enjoy it. I just got mine this past week from Dmartstores (these guys are great). A month ago I bought an RP62 as well ...
OK, I've got one question then. All my DVDs still have a black bar across the top and bottom of the screen even if I set the RP62 to 16:9 and the panny to FULL. The bars are smaller than what I saw with our 4:3 TV, but they are still there. If I set it to ZOOM, the movies show fine (I can't see any loss of picture), but then I lose a bit off the menuing (the play/still stuff the RP62 shows). I think it's because all the movies say 2.35:1 ratio, which doesn't wrok out to 16:9 (if I'm doing the math right). Is that the best way to set it, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Congrats! We got our Panny two weeks ago from the same place and we're very happy with it.

You're not missing anything. DVDs with 2.35:1 aspect do have bars at the top and bottom. DVDs formatted for 1.85:1 (and some 1.66:1) will generally fill the screen. Zooming a 2.35:1 will fill the screen, but it cuts a bit off of the edges.

Steve

·
Registered
813 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase, hopefully soon I will be joining the ranks of the panny owners.

Dont you just hate the black bars on 2.35:1 movies. I wish everything was 16:9 looks so good filling the whole screen.

-chris

·
Registered
457 Posts
Personally, I'd probably use the "zoom" mode on the 2.35:1 movies. Many times, they'll look just fine while giving you a sense of a bigger picture. Play around with it versus the normal mode and see if it's something you can deal with (your opinion may vary from one movie to another).

There's also not as much stretching going on as with 4:3 material as the top/bottom black bars on 2.35 material are nowhere near as wide as the side bars on 4:3 material.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow! You really got to go crazy! That sounds like fun- How's the remote? It's next on my list. Sounds like a great system - what size subwoofer is with the Polks?

Schex

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm considering getting the panny 42PWD5UY, but I am confused about what other equipment we'll need to purchase -- and how expensive that will be. We've got a VCR, DVD, and DirecTV TIVO we want to hook up to it, and of course we'll need to hook up to an A/V receiver in order to get sound to our speakers. I've read that there are a lack of inputs on the panny, and have seen suggestions to get something like the Denon 3803 in order to use a single video input into the plasma and switch input sources using the receiver. But that's going to set us back another grand, and I'm not sure we can afford to put that into the system at this point. Does the 42PWD5UY have enough inputs to run all of the video inputs into the TV directly, or are we going to need to include something like the Denon in the system?

Thanks for the advice . . .

·
Registered
338 Posts
My Denon 2802 will has 2 component inputs, 3 optical & 1 coaxial audio input and all the composite and S video you would ever need. The "problem" with the Panny is it's either S or composite not both. I got my Denon almost 1 yr ago for $579. I'm very happy with it, but if you have more than 2 component sources you'd need an upgrade.

Schex

·
Registered
457 Posts
An inexpensive alternative would be to get an Audio Authority switcher (model 1154). This model will take a total of 4 component inputs out to 1 output. It also has the capability of doing the same for the audio side (4 sets of inputs for optical, digital coaxial or L/R RCA inputs). That's quite a few inputs (with decent bandwidth, over 100Mhz) and a much cheaper alternative than buying a new receiver (unless you don't currently have a receiver).

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Component switching:

A search yields a wealth of discussions. In fact there seems to be a solution for just about any budget. Some are happy with $15 Rat Shack mechanical switchers (push a button or turn a knob) - others use much more expensive electronic remote controlled units.

Here's a good thread to read in the HDTV Hardware Forum, where there was even reported testing on a few units done by one forum member as well as DIY solutions.

Arguments are made that the mechanical units are band unlimited, but have parts that can wear, also some tests show more 'crosstalk'. Too much to summarise here.

Good required reading:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=26807

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Don't forget to protect all those goodies with a line conditioner/power suppressor. Not too expensive for peace of mind (adcom 615 is a couple of hundred and has a lot of features that you won't find in Monster (like no MOV's).

Enjoy, I'm bidding my time until late summer, early fall for the new pannys to come out.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Hmm I must be in need of a new DVD player.... my Toshiba SD3750 looks horrible if I zoom it....with the panny zoom OR with the zoom on the player....

...as such I mainly watch movies in the OAR anyway.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm currently using a $13 RS switcher (2/1 model). It works perfectly, as far as I'm concerned (dvd player and HD cable box going through it). I will eventually go to the AA 1154 once I add a 3rd component input (my ATSC tuner) and will then have the need to switch digital audio as well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by schex
Wow! You really got to go crazy! That sounds like fun- How's the remote? It's next on my list. Sounds like a great system - what size subwoofer is with the Polks?

Schex
The remote has been a dream come true. I was, for the first time in my life, able to replace all my remotes. With other universal remotes, I always had to keep all the remotes around for those one or two functions I couldn't do. I also got a Radio Shack All-in-One 2103 so that I could program discrete on/off codes for the display and the other equipment, so now the device macros turn off things I'm not using and turn on what I want. High WAF there. :D

Here are the specs on the subwoofer (from the Crutchfield web site):

video-shielded

bass-reflex

100-watt RMS amp

8" front-firing, long-excursion driver

dedicated, unfiltered LFE input for 5.1 bass

speaker-level input and output

line-level input

We have noticed a vast improvement of the audio over what we had, which is a good thing. After all the money we spent, the wife would not have been happy if she couldn't notice a difference. :p

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Miked2855
Personally, I'd probably use the "zoom" mode on the 2.35:1 movies. Many times, they'll look just fine while giving you a sense of a bigger picture. Play around with it versus the normal mode and see if it's something you can deal with (your opinion may vary from one movie to another).

There's also not as much stretching going on as with 4:3 material as the top/bottom black bars on 2.35 material are nowhere near as wide as the side bars on 4:3 material.
Mike:

I tried "ZOOM" mode on Phantom Menace last night and it drove me buggy. Everything looked stretched out vertically. I am using a Sony DVP-755 with component output; am I missing something here? I'm still a searching for the answer, it's got to be on the forum, ehh LOL.

Dan_B

·
Registered
70 Posts
no HD receiver?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by u-ray
no HD receiver?
Not yet. I sent in the paperwork for the free HD Tuner from Panasonic, but it hasn't gotten here yet. When it does come, I may end up watching some series in re-run this summer in HD.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.