AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time looking at the Forum a few months ago. You guys have a lot of patience and spend a lot of time answering questions for folks. As much as I love reading about this stuff, I can't do it everyday, so I come to learn when I get a chance to get new stuff. I appreciate what you guys do!

I discussed my setup here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...s/1802594-sub-advice-basement-movie-room.html

This sub is unreal. I am sure the others discussed are great too but just for some perspective for regular users out there....I got the new HSU VTF3- MK5, it is set at about 40% power and Audessey put it a -12. I moved it to -8 and tried it at -4 but can't imagine anyone using it at that level. At -8, I have rattles in the walls, my couch vibrates, stuff bounces off onto the floor, it is really crazy how great these subs sound! I can literally feel it in my breathing.

Now I need F/R/C/surrounds that can keep up! Maybe someone can throw some recs for that? :> It seems like a bigger rabbit hole than this one was

Thanks again, you guys do a big service

Scott

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I spent some time looking at the Forum a few months ago. You guys have a lot of patience and spend a lot of time answering questions for folks. As much as I love reading about this stuff, I can't do it everyday, so I come to learn when I get a chance to get new stuff. I appreciate what you guys do!

I discussed my setup here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...s/1802594-sub-advice-basement-movie-room.html

This sub is unreal. I am sure the others discussed are great too but just for some perspective for regular users out there....I got the new HSU VTF3- MK5, it is set at about 40% power and Audessey put it a -12. I moved it to -8 and tried it at -4 but can't imagine anyone using it at that level. At -8, I have rattles in the walls, my couch vibrates, stuff bounces off onto the floor, it is really crazy how great these subs sound! I can literally feel it in my breathing.

Now I need F/R/C/surrounds that can keep up! Maybe someone can throw some recs for that? :> It seems like a bigger rabbit hole than this one was

Thanks again, you guys do a big service

Scott
What is your budget for front stage speakers? How big can they be? Do you need a nice finish or will matte black do?

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
You need to lower your sub gain and rerun Aud till it sets less than -12db. Hsu sub gain knob is very very sensitive. If you meant your gain knob is at 40%, that is way too much with hsu sub. Congrats on the nice purchase.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your budget for front stage speakers? How big can they be? Do you need a nice finish or will matte black do?
It's a basement room so size and finish aren't really relevant. What brands do people like?

The tax man came hard to the house this year, good problem, but one nonetheless. This will probably be a project for a year from now :>

Now that I read some Hsu thread posts, the gain is at 9 oclock as the instructions said. Not sure where I got 40% from.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a basement room so size and finish aren't really relevant. What brands do people like?

The tax man came hard to the house this year, good problem, but one nonetheless. This will probably be a project for a year from now :>

Now that I read some Hsu thread posts, the gain is at 9 oclock as the instructions said. Not sure where I got 40% from.
Anyone seen Snowpiercer with these subs?

Awesome bass movie. Crazy rumbles for 2 hours. It was great with this thing and my wife and kids out of town.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
^^^

Have you lowered the gain on the sub and re-ran Audyssey to get your sub trim "in range" as @tvuong recommended??

FYI, -12 is the lower limit for the sub trim so you don't know if Audyssey wanted it set at -12, -20 or -100. You need to lower the sub gain and re-run Audyssey until you get an acceptable sub trim (anywhere between -11.5 and +11.5 is acceptable, but you optimally want it around -8 to -6).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.