AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what one will be in HD?

According to the thread I started about the 2008 version, it was NBC that had it in HD. (It was known that the CBS version 4:3 SD sucked.)

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't necessarily like to watch all the performances, and NBC carries each and every one of them. I grew up watching (who the hell was that fat man who played Cannon) the fat guy who played Cannon (Canon?) on CBS, introducing parades from around the country, including Detroit, Philadelphia and, of course, New York, and then later in the day, the worst parade of all, from Hawaii. I wish CBS would get of their asses and put the parade in HD, that way I could skip back and forth like the old days. At least the midget from NBC (Couric) is gone, but I can't stand Roker and the rest of the Today show talking heads; they should get a couple of people from the cast of The Office or 30 Rock to do the parade. Now THAT would be fun, especially if they got to write the script.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac /forum/post/19513678

I don't necessarily like to watch all the performances, and NBC carries each and every one of them. I grew up watching (who the hell was that fat man who played Cannon) the fat guy who played Cannon (Canon?) on CBS, introducing parades from around the country, including Detroit, Philadelphia and, of course, New York, and then later in the day, the worst parade of all, from Hawaii. I wish CBS would get of their asses and put the parade in HD, that way I could skip back and forth like the old days. At least the midget from NBC (Couric) is gone, but I can't stand Roker and the rest of the Today show talking heads; they should get a couple of people from the cast of The Office or 30 Rock to do the parade. Now THAT would be fun, especially if they got to write the script.

Well then, why don't you DVR it and skip over the crap you can't stand? That's what I do!

Oh, and that way I don't have to get up early just to watch a TV show.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hopefully the weather isn't as bad a past years.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The PQ on the WGN broadcast is spectacular. Someone along the transmission chain WGN>Comcast forgot to compress the stream because it's the kind of picture we used to get in the early days of HD (yeah, 5 years ago or so)

Liking the retro aspect of it too, Schwans Ice Cream truck as a float, floats dragged by SUV's, odd inappropriate comments from the commentators, none of that overproduced NBC stuff. Good times.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, I was disappointed that CBS followed the NBC format for their first HD broadcast of the parade, instead of sticking to what they've done in the past. The bands are the favorite part of the parade, and they get short shrift due to NBC and not CBS's insistence on having the fake, pre-produced and recorded performances.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr /forum/post/19545178

About time, CBS.

I just love how CBS can just cover the Macy's Parade without any legal ramifications. I'm surprised that ABC hasn't jumped on board.

·
Registered
757 Posts
We turned off NBC Macy's parade coverage after we realized that NBC parade coverage was only about continuous pimping of their upcoming NBC programming with little coverage of the actual parade. We ended up on WGN to at least SEE a parade instead of the cutting away to constantly interview the NBC "stars". Unbelievable!

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stew /forum/post/19546870

I just love how CBS can just cover the Macy's Parade without any legal ramifications. I'm surprised that ABC hasn't jumped on board.

There is a reason why CBS can do this each year. Since the parade takes place on a public roadway, CBS cannot be barred from the public thouroughfares. The same thing can be said of the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena.

However, CBS is barred from using the word "Macy's" because they are not licenced to do so. This is why they keep everything so generic.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos /forum/post/19547765

We turned off NBC Macy's parade coverage after we realized that NBC parade coverage was only about continuous pimping of their upcoming NBC programming with little coverage of the actual parade.

I stopped watching NBC's parade coverage when they once referred to Santa Claus as "that holiday superstar!".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay, my two cents on the Thanksgiving parades:

- This is my second year of watching the Macy's parade on NBC in HD. On both years, the picture quality looks spectacular! (But maybe it's the kind of HDTV I use.)

- I stopped watching the CBS version when they dropped the Honolulu, Detroit, and (worst of all) the Nashville coverage! (When did that happen, BTW?) Four parades across America whittled (sp?) down to one! This makes the NBC version more appealing!

- Anyone know why the Macy's parade was rated "TV-PG" this year? Maybe because some of the Broadway acts or songs performed were a little racy?

And, as always, I watch my Dallas Cowboys play some football in the afternoon, every year!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, I couldn't believe it. CBS had it in HD this year! Since I was not sure if they would do HD or not, I recorded both the NBC and CBS versions of it.

This time instead of checking to see if the CBS version was in HD, I went straight to the NBC version (on the DVR) and only watched snippets of the floats and a little bit of the bands and skipped all the singing type performers. From what I could tell, it looked like to me the NBC version was mostly promos for this and that...then a commercial would come in. With the DVR, it took me about 35 minutes to watch it. Saw what I wanted to see and I'm glad I did not watch it in real time. Otherwise I would have felt like I was watching a commercial. In fact, I think the first float did not get covered till about 40 minutes into the broadcast!

Also there was a constant breakup problem on the NBC version. I don't know if it was the broadcast or my DVR.

Then I went on to check the CBS version. Wow, it was in HD! And it was better looking than NBC's version! And I did not have any of the breakups that I was seeing on the NBC version. Something about the way our local CBS station broadcasts that looks better than our local NBC station. Anyway, from what I could tell, CBS's coverage was not as much of a commercial and much more entertaining than NBC's version.

The only thing I did not see on CBS's coverage was the Rockettes. Maybe I skipped over it? Or it's only on the NBC version? Either way, watching the Rockettes on NBC was the only highlight without anything else worth watching with their coverage.

Next year I'm mainly going to watch the CBS version.

And ABC can pound sand if they ever cover it. 1080i looks better on my 1080p set than 720p converted to 1080p. (60 inch Calibrated Pioneer 151FD Kuro)

·
Registered
171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 /forum/post/19560887

...- I stopped watching the CBS version when they dropped the Honolulu, Detroit, and (worst of all) the Nashville coverage! (When did that happen, BTW?) Four parades across America whittled (sp?) down to one! This makes the NBC version more appealing!...

There's still not enough HD infrastructure in place, and especially not on the local level(s). In a very real sense we're literally mirroring the early days of TV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts