Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Off an on lurker here with a question.

The I/O Magic card is that the DR-PCTV100?

Currently I'm using a Avermedia AverTV Stereo with a PowerColor ATI Radeon 8500.

Without anything to compare it to, I find the PQ OK.

It works with DScaler and I can use Ivan Uskov's tweaked Bt848 drivers with it.

But, when capturing to AVI I can't capture any higher than 320x240.

No problem when capturing (via software) to mpeg 1/2, but AVI is stuck at 320x240.

So...

1) Is the PQ with the DR-PCTV100, that much better?

and

2) Does the DR-PCTV100 provide better drivers, allowing AVI capture at higher res's?

TIA

Trik

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I take it that means *yes* to all 3 questions :p

So I'll throw out another.

According to what I've read on this forum, the s-video and composite inputs do work for this card, despite what it says on the mfg's website.

Could someone confirm this again?

Thanks again

Trik

·
Registered
156 Posts
Let me get this right. You have an AverTV working with a Radeon? The same Radeon that AverMedia insists is incompatible with their AverTV?

That would be nice since I got AverTV studio sitting right next to me, ready to be sent back because they told me no twice. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work? Are you using the packaged driver/software? Did you lose any functionality or stability?

Also, I've heard that it works with DScaler and VirtualDub. Is this also true?

Sorry about the intrusion, but I just had to ask. And thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can use the AverTV Stereo to capture in mpeg 1/2 using Avermedia's PVR software and PowerVCR. (these are the only apps of their type that i've tried)

I can use DScaler as a TV tuner and get great PQ, the few captures I've tried with it were squished one way or another, height, width (can't remember which)

I just use DScaler to watch TV on my monitor.

VirtualDub can capture, but I'm limited to 320x240 (or smaller) AVI captures.

I'm not really sure what causes this limitation.

This is true of any capture app that captures in AVI. AVI-IO for example.

Other limitations.

I can't capture AVI in RBG24 either.

This causes a lockup that will always lock up on restarting the app until I completly uninstall the devices, drivers and reinstall them.

I can't capture at all in AVI until I install Win98se's WebTV.

This puts a video capture device in Control Panel / Multimedia / Devices Tab / Video Capture Devices.

Once I get a lockup from attempting to capture in RBG24, I also have to uninstall / remove WebTV and the capture device and reinstall them to get the limited AVI capturing working again.

I find the PQ to be pretty good and on some channels to be better than DScaler.

I like the Avermedia PVR software GUI better than I like PowerVCR's.

But PowerVCR is more robust.

PowerVCR's built in recording profiles are nice.

Problems with the radeon 8500 can also cause system lockups, leading to the reset button.

I use a ECS K7S5A motherboard and with these devices the radeon seems to want to grab IRQ11. When its on IRQ11, I seem to get lockups, If I can force it off by swaping boards around they work well together.

I hope this answers your Q's...

If not, post them and I'll try and answer.

Trik

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question about the I/O Magic card.

Does it put a video capture device in Control Panel / Multimedia / Devices Tab / Video Capture Devices.

This would be in win98se. I have no idea about how later OS's place devices.

The Avermedia card puts devices in device manager but nothing in multimedia.

Without a device in Control Panel / Multimedia / Devices Tab / Video Capture Devices I can't capture in AVI.

That means no divx and several other codecs.

Installing win98se's WebTV puts a limited video capture device in Control Panel / Multimedia / Devices Tab / Video Capture Devices, but I don't really want to use it.

For one thing it installs another network device, also it installs software I don't want on my computer.

Thanks again

Trik

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
"Does it put a video capture device in Control Panel / Multimedia / Devices Tab / Video Capture Devices.

This would be in win98se. I have no idea about how later OS's place devices. "

PC PVR IO Magic drivers are WDM. You get :

"IOMagic, WDM Audio Capture"

"IOMagic, WDM Video Capture"

"IOMagic, WDM Crossbar"

"IOMagic, WDM TvTuner"

devices in System Properties > Device Manager > Sound, Video, Game Controllers group with the PC PVR card.

This is how it looks in my Win98SE pc, anyways. Other Win OS's may vary.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Trik,

Thanks for your help.

So, as long as AverTV and Radeon do not share the same IRQ, the packaged driver+software works well?

Even so, I'm not sure if it's going to be easy in W2k. I couldn't get my Audigy and Radeon to use different IRQs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rgb:

Can you capture to AVI, DivX, using VirtualDub without having to install 98se's WebTV?

Unless I do that VirtualDub and AVI_IO don't find a video capture device.

The AverMedia also puts the 4 devices in Device Manager / Sound, Video, Game Controllers, but no device in Multimedia / Devices Tab, Video Capture Devices field.

clamrade:

As far as I can recall the radeon and avertv have never shared an IRQ.

I've never had conflicts in device manager.

That doesn't mean that there weren't some I/O range overlaps or something.

I already had the avertv up and running for months with a geforce2mx when I got the radeon.

I pulled out the GF2mx, installed the radeon, installed the latest drivers from ATI and had 2 weeks of zero problems.

Then I tried to cap some AVI and couldn't get VirtualDub to find a vid cap device no matter what I did.

So I reformated and reinstalled.

Thats when the lockups started.

Any 3dgame or video app would lock up within seconds.

AverTV, PowerVCR, etc.

Well, All except DScaler. For some reason DScaler didn't lockup.

After that I had to move some cards around to get the lockups to go away.

But! I never had an IRQ conflict and don't recall any devices sharing IRQ's. I have 2 free IRQ's as it is.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, you are using Aver's driver and software? Interesting. I wonder why Aver insists they can't work together...

Are you using Win98? I've had configuring PCI cards to NOT share IRQ 11. Stupid W2k. Right now, my Audigy and Radeon are sharing that same IRQ. :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used Aver's and Ivan Uskov's tweaked Bt848 drivers with it, and Aver's PVR software

To tell the truth I don't see any difference between the 2 sets of drivers.

Moving the Audigy to a different PCI slot doesn't change its IRQ?

Can you manually assign IRQ's in bios?

Do you have any free IRQ's?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yup. I've tried every slot. I've tried every combination of relevant BIOS settings.

Once, I was able to get the mobo itself to recognize two different IRQs for the two cards, but W2k took over upon reboot. The only way for me would be to disable ACPI. No Way!

And yes. There are three IRQs.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I'm wondering when someone in the land of Open Source will simply write some beautiful software to drive all of these wonderful products for use on one harmonous activity. Yeah, right. I'm dreaming again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if your motherboard supports it, but I saw this on OCWorkbench's K7S5A forum.

IO ACPI gives you 24 IRQ's in Win2k and WinXP.

I don't know about 98, but I kinda doubt it works with 98.

It *may* fix your problems.

From what little I read it's probably best to start it with a fresh reformat reinstall...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks, Trik.

I am encouraged that I've also got that K7S5A. Perhaps my AverTV will work well too.

However, I am not sure I am prepared for a format...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, to get it to work on the K7S5A, you *have* to flash a 3rd party bios.

One of the regulars on the forum is a code monkey and has made 2 bios's for the k7s5a.

He enabled several hidden features and added some overclocking options.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think I just hit the jackpot!

Could you direct me to where I may be able to obtain this driver? Is it what you are using? Any problems?

I'm so glad I mentioned using K7S5A. A good board for the price, the the BIOS is rather featureless.

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
 This page has links to the latest ones with the IO ACPI feature in them.

At the top of the k7s5a forum main page is a link to the others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.