AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Mini (2.53 gHz/320gb/4Mb RAM), plugged it into my Sony STR-DA5200ES using the OWC MDP/HDMI adapter ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/CBLMDPHDMI/ ) and toslink ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...LAOPTMT/)which goes to my Sony KDS-60A2020 and everything works perfectly.

All of my movies are ripped using MacTheRipper, all my music through iTunes, using Plex as a front end. Set the display to overscan, then used Plex to adjust the display. I could not be more pleased. Even the wife likes it.

Plex took awhile to get used to, but once I got used to it, I couldn't imagine using anything else. Pay attention to the wiki and everything will make sense.

I'm not here just to brag, I just want all the fence-sitters to know that, with a little bit of effort, that the Mini + Plex solution rocks. I had the advantage of playing with Plex on my iMac prior to buying the Mini which certainly helped.

Thanks to all in this forum who (unknowingly) helped me make the decision.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Apple has a 30 day return policy
. Although you don't know when a revised Mini will actually be released so you could be waiting months to setup your home theater again.

Your experience was pretty much the same as mine, I had done lots of research before pulling everything together but overall there really were no big hang ups. Audio and Video gave me no problems.

My only complaint is with my Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, I have to set the overscan back to 100% each time I switch from component inputs to the HDMI input from the Mini. Just an annoyance but I can't find any way to make the setting stick. Possibly if upgraded my AV receiver to one with HDMI switching so the projector stays on the same input, that would remedy the problem.

·
Registered
785 Posts
What resolution are you guys using? I find that with my 2009 Mini going into our Optoma HD80 projector that the only way to get everything on the screen is t use 720p.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love my Mini/Plex setup! I've used Windows Media Center, AppleTV, and most recently a WDTV and none of them come close to this setup. I wish I would have forked up the money for a Mini months ago! I can't believe how good it does pulling the media info off of IMDB. Over 350 movies and I only had to edit 5 or 6 of them! Netflix and Hulu through the Plex app store work great too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts