AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 830 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·


Ninety-seven years ago, nuclear Armageddon decimated planet Earth, destroying civilization. The only survivors were the 400 inhabitants of 12 international space stations that were in orbit at the time. Three generations have been born in space, the survivors now number 4,000, and resources are running out on their dying "Ark" - the 12 stations now linked together and repurposed to keep the survivors alive. Draconian measures including capital punishment and population control are the order of the day, as the leaders of the Ark take ruthless steps to ensure their future, including secretly exiling a group of 100 juvenile prisoners to the Earth's surface to test whether it's habitable. For the first time in nearly a century, humans have returned to planet Earth. Among the 100 exiles are Clarke, the bright teenage daughter of the Ark's chief medical officer; Wells, son of the Ark's Chancellor; the daredevil Finn; and the brother/sister duo Bellamy and Octavia, whose illegal sibling status has always led them to flaunt the rules. Technologically blind to what's happening on the planet below them, the Ark's leaders - Clarke's widowed mother, Abby; the Chancellor, Jaha; and his shadowy second in command, Kane - are faced with difficult decisions about life, death and the continued existence of the human race. For the 100 young people on Earth, however, the alien planet they've never known is a mysterious realm that can be magical one moment and lethal the next. With the survival of the human race entirely in their hands, THE 100 must find a way to transcend their differences, unite and forge a new path on a wildly changed Earth that's primitive, intense and teeming with the unknown. The series stars Eliza Taylor (newcomer) as Clarke, Paige Turco ("Person of Interest," "Damages") as Abby, Thomas McDonell ("Suburgatory") as Finn, Eli Goree ("Emily Owens, M.D.") as Wells, Marie Avgeropoulos ("50/50") as Octavia, Bob Morley (newcomer) as Bellamy, Kelly Hu ("X2: X-Men United," "Arrow") as Cece, Christopher Larkin ("Squad 85") as Monty, Devon Bostick ("Aim High") as Jasper, with Isaiah Washington (upcoming "Blue Caprice," "Grey's Anatomy") as Chancellor Jaha, and Henry Ian Cusick ("Lost," "Scandal") as Kane. Based on the upcoming book series by Kass Morgan, THE 100 is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Matthew Miller ("Human Target," "Chuck"), Jason Rothenberg (upcoming "Twilight Zone" feature), Bharat Nalluri ("Torchwood," "Emily Owens, M.D."), Leslie Morgenstein ("The Vampire Diaries") and Gina Girolamo ("The Secret Circle"). The pilot was directed by Bharat Nalluri.


Premiere was last night, but it may rerun un the next few days in case you missed it.


I quite enjoyed the space stuff with the adults, even though killing off the population to relieve the strain on their systems and supplies reminds me of something else I have seen recently.


The Earth based stuff was testing my resolve by the end of the hour. I didn't mind the group led by the expert girl scout but the main group just had too many (annoying) survivors for my liking. If they had all been killed I would not have missed them one bit. In fact if the show had gone Final Destination and had been killing them off regularly throughout the episode it would have made the pilot a lot more exciting and the premise filled with more danger and tension. If they had killed the girl in the water after attempting to establish her character it would have been a daring move.


I really couldn't understand why people were so reluctant to head to the mountain supply bunker either. Did they not want any food? What were they expecting to do sitting near the dropship except dance around the bonfire? More importantly why would anyone offer to bring food back to anyone who couldn't be bothered to go there? Why walk 20 miles there and 20 miles back to a dead dropship being able to carry only a few supplies?
 

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
Joined
·
2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd#post_24505891


I quite enjoyed the space stuff with the adults, ...


The Earth based stuff was testing my resolve by the end of the hour.
 

Same here, though in my case it was 45 minutes (thanks to FF past the commercials). If it were only the earth teens/hormones/testosterone, I would take it off my schedule. But with the space stuff, I'll be checking in again next week to see where they take this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
IDK it felt like the movie After Earth with 100.. err 98 Jaden Smiths.. IMHO


Glad to see that ALL humans on Earth were decimated but the animals made it somehow.. and was LMAO when they said "there's no animals" and you could hear them in the background.. doh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
The good:

- visuals and effects


The bad:

- One teenage lovestory

- Another teenage lovestory

- More teenage lovestories


The ugly:

- The music (am I on a Justin Bieber concert? WTF)

- Teenagers behaving like they are on their way to the next Justin Bieber concert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I had high hopes for this one. It's not a good thing when your rooting for the massive river snake to eat one of the main characters. I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if gets better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was trying to calculate how many each episode could lose and still keep going. I think killing at least 3 per episode would be a good start.


The Ark can always drop down a few stragglers to keep the title premise mostly relevant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd#post_24507791


3 down, 97 to go.

Err the last guy was still breathing... and they spoiled us his fate on the "this season on The 100" thanks CW!


Maybe watching that preview is enough for most...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd/0_20#post_24508351


Err the last guy was still breathing... and they spoiled us his fate on the "this season on The 100" thanks CW!


Maybe watching that preview is enough for most...

Never send Jaden Smith to do a man's job...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
It appears to Lord of the Flies but set in the future. When the 2nd song kicked in I groaned but I did like how the song ended, still if every episode has songs I am bailing. An ok time waster if you can get over these survivors seem rather dumb. Detecting radiation is not hard, wearable radiation decals were in use in the 1950s yet they seemed to have lost that technology which quite frankly if you live in space you are going to need a lot. Also they are going to have to eat off the land and yet that has not seemed to have occurred to anyone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd#post_24509677


It appears to Lord of the Flies but set in the future. When the 2nd song kicked in I groaned but I did like how the song ended, still if every episode has songs I am bailing. An ok time waster if you can get over these survivors seem rather dumb. Detecting radiation is not hard, wearable radiation decals were in use in the 1950s yet they seemed to have lost that technology which quite frankly if you live in space you are going to need a lot. Also they are going to have to eat off the land and yet that has not seemed to have occurred to anyone.

Well, at least they seem to have hung on to their make-up and hair supplies..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
I forgot to mention a little thing called water, without which they would die fast and they cannot just drink from a stream and not get sick nor can the 4 carry water from the mountain 'supplies' for 100 people. Of course nobody is concern about getting drinkable water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd#post_24509896


Well, at least they seem to have hung on to their make-up and hair supplies..

No doubt as the months go by they will remain well groomed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd#post_24510395


I forgot to mention a little thing called water, without which they would die fast and they cannot just drink from a stream and not get sick nor can the 4 carry water from the mountain 'supplies' for 100 people. Of course nobody is concern about getting drinkable water.

No doubt as the months go by they will remain well groomed.


THey could of easily carry iodine pills or some other advance pill or shot that they can drink any kind of water. Iodine pills is the easiest nowadays. I did that when i got water out of a stream and they always worked. Most of the demographic watching this show don't care about drinking water or how they got it anyway. Let alone iodine pills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd#post_24510437


THey could of easily carry iodine pills or some other advance pill or shot that they can drink any kind of water. Iodine pills is the easiest nowadays. I did that when i got water out of a stream and they always worked. Most of the demographic watching this show don't care about drinking water or how they got it anyway. Let alone iodine pills.
Iodine pills don't kill all the amoeba and other micro-organisms swimming around in contaminated water. That said, none of what most of the kids did made much sense here. By the end of the show I was beginning to lose interest.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd/0_60#post_24505891


If they had killed the girl in the water after attempting to establish her character it would have been a daring move.
Agreed.

Unfortunately, this series will never have the balls to do something like that.

Quote:
I really couldn't understand why people were so reluctant to head to the mountain supply bunker either. Did they not want any food?

What were they expecting to do sitting near the dropship except dance around the bonfire? More importantly why would anyone offer to bring food back to anyone who couldn't be bothered to go there? Why walk 20 miles there and 20 miles back to a dead dropship being able to carry only a few supplies?
That hit me immediately.

WTF....these kids are so dumb they don't know about a nasty condition called "starvation?"

Apparently, the showrunners want us to swallow that these misfits are so dimwitted as to believe they will get their nutrition from music, yelling, jumping, and campfires.

Yeah, I get it....kids are dumb....but not THAT dumb.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd/0_60#post_24507603


It's not a good thing when your rooting for the massive river snake to eat one of the main characters.
Good to see I wasn't the only pulling for the river monster.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd/0_60#post_24509677


It appears to Lord of the Flies but set in the future.
I thought the same thing.

Quote:
Detecting radiation is not hard, wearable radiation decals were in use in the 1950s yet they seemed to have lost that technology which quite frankly if you live in space you are going to need a lot.
They seem to have lost a lot of technology....like rudimentary communication devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd/0_60#post_24509896


Well, at least they seem to have hung on to their make-up and hair supplies.
I noticed that too.

You watch...I'll bet they remembered to pack plenty of that stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Tough crowd. Despite all the typical sci-fi nitpicking that 's occurring in this thread, I found the pilot and the premise interesting. I'm going to give it a go.


Until the plot lines get buried in the typical "teenagers in love" crap the CW loves to do to most of their shows. Then, I'm bailing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
Also whoever isn't on the main cast list could be considered red shirts and die, how else they could afford at least 110 actors.. LOL (100 teens plus 10 adults on the station)


And I never saw a take where you can count them, they seem like 30 to me not 100
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar  /t/1523412/the-100-on-cw-hd/0_60#post_24512153


And I never saw a take where you can count them, they seem like 30 to me not 100
You have to take it on faith....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,172 Posts
Pretty bad writing. Dumb premise (no radiation detectors? Really?) Got a couple actors slumming over from 'Continuum', including Richard Harmon (Julian). Guess they film on different schedules, or they're going to kill him off on that show. It's got Alessandro Juliani (Gaeta) from BSG. And I can't get used to Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond) without his trademark Scottish accent. Why did they feel the need to Americanize him?


But there's space stuff! So I guess I'm in for awhile. Until I just can't take the unbearable CW'ness of it all.
 
1 - 20 of 830 Posts
Top