AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received official word from NBC, confirming the info posted here by a number of AVS members.

NBC will present The VISA Triple Crown of Championship Horse Racing in HDTV. Each of three races for 3 year olds will have a $1,000,000 purse, with the winner of The Triple Crown getting a $5,000,000 bonus.

Saturday May 3, 2003

129th running of The Kentucky Derby

Churchill Downs, 1 1/4 miles

Louisville, KY

5:00 pm ET

Saturday, May 17, 2003

128th running of The Preakness Stakes

Pimlico, 1 3/16 miles

Baltimore, MD

Saturday, June 7, 2003

135th running of The Belmont Stakes

Belmont Park, 1 1/2 miles

Elmont, NY

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sure hope it's on HDNet as those of us in metro New York don't have digital transmission from WNBC. Anyone have word on this?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PPOITEV
Is this courtesy of HDNet? I didn't see anything on HDNet's Website.
NBC is going it alone.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kurros
NBC is going it alone.
this doesnt make sense to me. why rent an hdtv truck when you can get one free from hdnet? unless nbc plans to start up live hdtv events, i see no point in them doing it alone.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dneily
Too bad that all three broadcasts are on Eastern Standard Time. I only get Eastern Daylight Time. :)
That's easy. Just tune in an hour later. Or maybe it should be an hour earlier.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Of all the HD channels in San Diego, NBC is the toughest to get. Maybe I'll get lucky and manage to pick up a strong enough signal that day.

Take care.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dneily
Too bad that all three broadcasts are on Eastern Standard Time. I only get Eastern Daylight Time.
The time has been modified to ET, just for you.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s2silber
Sure hope it's on HDNet as those of us in metro New York don't have digital transmission from WNBC. Anyone have word on this?
If I recall correctly, last year's Derby was ran on HDNet about a day or so after the NBC broadcast. In fact, they repeated it several times.

I don't know about this year.

·
Registered
45,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
If I recall correctly, last year's Derby was ran on HDNet about a day or so after the NBC broadcast. In fact, they repeated it several times.
Last year, all of the Triple Crown races were simulcast live on NBC & HDNet, and also repeated a few times on HDNet in the following days/weeks.

I've asked but not heard anything yet regarding HDNet's plans for this year.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If HDNet doesn't get the simulcast coverage, that would mean no MLB and no Triple Crown. Plus, they didn't have any Arena League football games this year and didn't simulcast any NBA either. To the naked eye, it would appear they've lost some bargaining power and that's a shame considering what HDNet has done for the advancement of the medium.

As for NBC showing the TC in HD, thank God I get it through Comcast because they still aren't available OTA in the NYC area yet.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
If HDNet doesn't get the simulcast coverage, that would mean no MLB and no Triple Crown. Plus, they didn't have any Arena League football games this year and didn't simulcast any NBA either. To the naked eye, it would appear they've lost some bargaining power and that's a shame considering what HDNet has done for the advancement of the medium.

Shhhhhh! You're going to wake up Adebar.

jr

·
Registered
467 Posts
yea like a dummy i sprang for the low cost radio shack antenna and my local nbc out of lexington does not have hdtv up and running but wave in louisville does but i cannot get a good digital signal for wave.:(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe NBC going it alone will improve the NBC HD telecast.

The actual race, all 3 minutes of it, wasn't it, was great. The talking heads and shots of the horses before the race got under way were so-so. NBC cameras were SD, so beside the actual race, the only HD shots were from the HDNet cameras mounted way up on the top of the grandstand. So we got a number of shots looking down at the horses and owners from above, and on track interviews of owners will them almost buried in the crowds. If NBC goes it alone, maybe the events leading up to the race will be in HD, too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
20 minutes of pre-race and two minutes of action. Sounds like the Tyson fight.
I think it was an hour or maybe two hours long. So that was 58/118 minutes of pre-race before 2 minutes of action. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
My wife said that she read an article in Bloodhorse magazine stating that 10 out of 15 cameras will be HD this year. I think that NBC will do a good job with this. Their coverage of the big races is always very good and now with the additional cameras, it will be an added bonus.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Triple Crown in Hi-Def......HOORAY :)

Oh, that's right, I live in NY. I can't watch it.....:mad:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I live in Corpus Christi, TX, no digital here, but I invested in a 100" UHF yagi with a 22db gain amplifier (not a pre-amp) aimed at Houston and NBC is the strongest signal I get barring poor atmospherics (signal strength of 85 to 95) on my Dish 6000 receiver with OTA module. Horse Racing is my game and with my laptop hooked-up to Youbet.com I look forward to really enjoying this and even better the Breeder's Cup in HD on NBC this coming fall!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.