AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please place all related comments here, and don't forget to include your source, cable or Dish Network.

Sunday temperatures should be a little lower than Saturday, hovering around 87 degrees by the 2-3pm ET tee times of the final groupings. Scattered thunderstorms are also being forecast, with 40% chance of precipitation.

Who Wants the Wanamaker?

By Marino Parascenzo, Special to PGA.com

SPRINGFIELD, N.J. -- It didn't seem Tiger Woods had much of a chance to win this 87th PGA Championship. He started Saturday's third round tied for 62nd -- the last place in the field that made the cut -- and had to shoot some dynamite golf and also get a big gift from second-round leader Phil Mickelson.

And that was your third round. Mickelson lumbered around hot, steamy Baltusrol like a kid on a tricycle in the sand, shooting a desultory 2-over-par 72, opening the door for a whole bunch of people. Woods is not a likely candidate, but after a sharp 66 in the morning group, he's a lot likelier than he was when he started Saturday 12 behind.

Woods is at even-par 210, and now just six shots behind Mickelson and Davis Love III, who go into Sunday tied for the lead at 6-under 204. Love shot his third straight 68 and made up four strokes on Mickelson.

"To still be in the lead was a huge success for the day," Mickelson said, considering that he rallied from three bogeys in his first six holes. He had one birdie, that at the par-3 12th, and ground away from there for his 72.

It's a lot more crowded now behind the lead. On a day when 25 guys shot in the 60s, Denmark's Thomas Bjorn led the charge, tying the record for low score in a major with a 63 and vaulting into third place at 206, a shot out. Two behind are Pat Perez (67), Steve Elkington (68), Stuart Appleby (69) and Vijay Singh (69), and 19 players are within five shots of the leaders.

"It was hard work,'' said Singh, the defending champion who made 17 straight pars before a birdie from the bunker on the 18th. "I told my caddie, 'I need one birdie.' I cannot do 18 pars. I've never done that before, and I didn't want to do that today. That puts me in good shape tomorrow.''

Elkington put a sense of perspective in this race. He's 42 and allergic to grass, of all things, has had other health problems, and helped make Colin Montgomerie's life miserable by beating him in a playoff in the 1995 PGA Championship.

All told, there are 10 guys within three shots of the lead. And there are 19 guys in Tiger Woods' way.

Woods has never come back to win from greater than five shots on the PGA Tour, and he has won all 12 of his majors from the front. But he still believes he has a chance to pull this one out

"Guys have come back from 10 back in majors and have won,'' Woods said.

Mickelson, owner of one major, the 2004 Masters, seemed to be making a nifty comeback from frustration with his soft-landing high cut off the tee and making every putt that mattered inside 10 feet, and looked to be on the verge of running away with the tournament on Friday night. Then this.

As thousands of fans crammed behind the ropes and waited to shower him with cheers, he delivered three bogeys in his first seven holes. A flop shot flew 25 feet by the cup on No. 2. He three-putted the fifth, missing a 3-footer. Then he went from rough to bunker on the seventh and could only blast out to 20 feet.

By then, the game was on.

"I had a couple of tough breaks and made three bogeys," Mickelson said. "I thought for me to fight and still be in the lead is a huge boost, because guys were out there making birdies and I was going the other way."

Mickelson was hardly giving up, though.

"I got off to a poor start,'' he said. "Guys were attacking and making birdies. Thomas Bjorn shot 7-under. I saw Davis in front of me making birdies. To still be in the lead is a big bonus.''

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
This reminds me of the old question...if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's there to hear it does it make a sound?....but in this case it's if a show's in HD but nobody's watching is it really in HD?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Whoa, thanks for the heads up, I almost missed this. Just tuned it in and will record for viewing tonight.

According to this, http://www.pga.com/news/pganews/pgam.../cbs081005.cfm CBS will air the weekend coverage in HD too.

From what little I just watched, it's the expected mix of lots of widescreen so-so SD from the fairways and HD high above the finishing holes. The widescreen SD shots from the blimpwere a suprise though and looked pretty good for a change.

All in all, better than 4x3 SD for a Major.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edv
Whoa, thanks for the heads up, I almost missed this. Just tuned it in and will record for viewing tonight.

According to this, CBS will air the weekend coverage in HD too.

From what little I just watched, it's the expected mix of lots of widescreen so-so SD from the fairways and HD high above the finishing holes. The widescreen SD shots from the blimpwere a suprise though and looked pretty good for a change.

All in all, better than 4x3 SD for a Major.
what about hand-held HD?

·
Registered
132 Posts
As we've discussed before elsewhere, availability of portable HD cameras is not the problem. It's the current lack of available technology to transmit the HD signal back to the truck over the relatively huge distances required for golf tournament coverage.

It will happen in time. But right now, it's not a simple matter of TNT/CBS being "too cheap" to buy enough HD cameras.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
So the economics for networks to produce HD sports is getting better, I presume, since we are seeing more and more. But for the life of me I cannot see where TNT can justify it when there is very little carriage of their HD programming. Comcast here in Portland doesn't carry it and from the response so far in this thread, we're not alone. OK, so TNT borrows from CBS' infrastructure for the days they cover the PGA and that lessens the costs. Are they hoping for the hew and cry from those of us who think we are missing a good thing to implore our providers to add TNT-HD? Is that where the justification lies?

Gotta call Comcast now, as if that does any good. :(

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Checked it out this morning - too many SDTV cameras for me ... will not be watching!

·
Registered
28,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Bob
Checked it out this morning - too many SDTV cameras for me ... will not be watching!
Yeah, right. :rolleyes: If you're a golf fan, you'll be watching. This is a Major.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Some great images from N.J., with a few much better than others at times due to the muggy weather and some clouds that reduce contrast and color saturation. Didn't count them, but seems to be the usual procedure of putting HD cameras on the back nine holes. Tiger Woods was +5 and will play in the PM Friday, but some were speculating he's too far behind to catch up. -- John

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looked good to me, via Comcast.

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus
But for the life of me I cannot see where TNT can justify it when there is very little carriage of their HD programming.
Actually, they have a decent amount of carriage. Most cableco's have it, including Comcast (your area is an exception), and it's also available on Dish Network.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, this is like a non-stop HD advertisement.

HD.... then SD. HD..... then SD. And everytime it switches you want to yell at the screen to switch to an HD camera somewhere and just zoom in...

From the HD cameras though, the quality is excellent. (dish network)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I thought the SD version of TNT on D* was lousy. Several pictures were not clear at all, especially the blimp shots. I guess I will have to wait until the weekend to see it in HD on CBS.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The SD version of almost everything on D* is lousy. But I'll still watch it (on a 31in tube). Like Archiguy says, it's a major. Can't wait till tomorrow for CBS HD. Then The Blue Angels at my local airport on Sunday. Talk about ear/eye candy. I'll make it back home in time for the last two hours of the tournament.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Looks really good on TWC. Tiger is really sweating - for more than one reason.

·
Registered
28,323 Posts
Looks like he (El Tigre) is even through 12 today, so he's going to have to make a birdie or two coming in and avoid any more pratfalls to make the cut. But this course finishes with 2 par 5's, so I fully expect to see him playing over the weekend, but not contending. This is Lefty's tourney if he doesn't blow it.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
So very perceptive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.