AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TNT HD presents the 1st Round of the 88th PGA Championship at Medinah Country Club, Medinah, Illinois.

2:00PM ET

1080i HDTV & DD 5.1

Please place all related comments here. Keep in mind in addition to HD coverage, a number of 16:9 standard definition cameras will be used to cover this event.

From Golf With Shanks

Quote:
Delicious Ryder Cup subplots to Mickelson's PGA Championship quest

Most of the golfing world will be watching the 2006 PGA Championship to see if anyone can stop the Tiger Train, particularly one Phil Mickelson. If he can, Mickelson would likely win Player of the Year for the first time ever. It's kind of stunning, really, that a player who has won 29 tournaments (and counting) by age 36 has never been POY. Such is Phil's lot in life, to be playing during the Tiger era. Not that we feel sorry for him. Billy Casper suffered a similar fate at the hands of Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.

But in many ways, the more interesting drama will involve the finalization of the 10 automatic spots on US Ryder Cup team. Because of the new point system (which has its flaws) it is mathematically possible that half of the team could change from the current standings going into this, the final week of qualifying. What is more likely to happen, however, is that 1 or 2 players will get knocked off the team. Chris DiMarco, Vaughn Taylor and JJ Henry look to be relatively safe at numbers 6th-8th on the list. It is Zach Johnson and Brett Wetterich in the 9th and 10th spots that have bull's-eyes on their back.

Every Major Championship has a few surprises in the top ten, which is the only way to garner additional Ryder Cup points. This week will likely be no different. A surprise winner could vault from as low as 105th place to a spot on the team. Does the name John Daly ring a bell? How about Shaun Micheel or Rich Beem?

The possible variations are too many to list just now.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This topic will open at 2pm ET.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Just tuned in. Looks okay to me. Even the SD 16:9 shots are decent. I enjoy the widescreen even if it isn't true HD, whatever that is. :)

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Fear not, daddyo. Because Tiger, Phil, and Ogelvy played in the morning today, they'll be playing together in the afternoon tomorrow, so TNT's coverage will actually be live for Friday's round.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud
Looks like the portable cameras are 480p widescreen while the fixed cameras are HD.
Ah, that makes sense - I was watching a few minutes and was disappointed with what I saw. Now, I am more forgiving :)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Watching on E* and at times the grass changed color (green-brown-green-brown-green) several times within a few seconds. Had trails on several of the putts as well. This all happened within several minutes of each other so maybe they were related. Too many SD shots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.