AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 27th Raspberry Awards (the Razzies) are here!

As I've been tuning in to the coverage, I couldn't help but notice how many nominees there have been that have already be released or announced on Bluray, exclusively! And also on the IMDB "worst of 2006" polls.

Coincidence? (cue twilight zone music) You be the judge... are there MORE stinkers available on Bluray than HD DVD?

Now I'm not certain of all the nominations, but so far as I can tell:

Little Man
Wicker Man (Warner, not exclusive)

The Benchwarmers

Employee of the Month

RV

Basic Instinct 2

Click

Ultraviolet

Borat

Talladega nights

Running with scissors

Rocky Balboa

Turistas

I think these are all exclusive to Bluray, but perhaps I may be corrected.

Is this perhaps a reason why Bluray sales didn't take off last year like HD DVD?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That list is comprised of some admittedly poor movies, but the only reason that there are so many is that there are 5 BD exclusive studios, I would say this also accounts for the high turnout for the Oscars.

Though Borat and Rocky are very good films.

·
Registered
135 Posts
From what I read on this...they mentioned "Rocky Balboa" because they were surprised Stalone was NOT nominated because he is one of / if not THE leader in Razzie nominations. So you will need to knock that one off the list AND "Wicker Man" is on both formats...

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I'm surprised that Borat is in there, but I'm sure there are those who didn't get the humor in it. I believe it was nominated for best picture in the musical or comedy category at the Golden Globes (and Cohen won a best actor award for it).

I would have guessed that Blu-ray would have more Razzies if somebody had asked, but I'm curious rdjam, is it that HD DVD didn't have any exclusive movies that got nominated for a Razzie, or where you just listing ones on the Blu-ray side?

--Darin

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I thought Borat was pretty funny too - except for the wrestling scene (puke)

I looked at the IMDB "worst of 2006" list as well, since this drives many of the nominations of the razzies and is linked on their site. It's probably not an exhaustive list, more a quick compilation.

It's just for fun, so I'm glad no-one here is taking it too seriously. It's nice to lighten up some of the discussions here, and the Razzies are great fun. Re: the number of releases, HD and BD and fairly equal in total titles so far, and it does look like BD is getting some better titles this year.

BTW - I thought their nomination of Sharon Stone's bits for worst screen couple was hilarious.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Oddly, having large numbers of bad movies available is more likely to be a side-effect of a large library than anything else. After all, there are more bad movies available on DVD than either high-definition format.

It all comes down to whether or not the titles you want are available, and people have pretty wildly varying tastes. Surely there's someone out there for whom the razzies library is exactly what they've been waiting for. Scary, but probably true.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckshop /forum/post/0

so how many hd dvd exclusives were nominated for oscars?

That's the exact reason why rdjam created this thread. Apparently it's the best rebuttle he's able to come up with.

People will actually want the Oscar nominated films. And if they want them in high definition they'll have to go with Blu-ray. It's as simple as that.

If OTOH you're someone who likes crap, well Blu-ray has something for you as well.

Either way rdjam, it's good news for Blu-ray!

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/0

Well the 27th Raspberry Awards (the Razzies) are here!

As I've been tuning in to the coverage, I couldn't help but notice how many nominees there have been that have already be released or announced on Bluray, exclusively! And also on the IMDB "worst of 2006" polls.

Coincidence? (cue twilight zone music) You be the judge... are there MORE stinkers available on Bluray than HD DVD?

Now I'm not certain of all the nominations, but so far as I can tell:

Little Man
Wicker Man (Warner, not exclusive)

The Benchwarmers

Employee of the Month

RV

Basic Instinct 2

Click

Ultraviolet

Borat

Talladega nights

Running with scissors

Rocky Balboa

Turistas

I think these are all exclusive to Bluray, but perhaps I may be corrected.

Is this perhaps a reason why Bluray sales didn't take off last year like HD DVD?

Where did you get the list from? I can't find many of the movies in their website .

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opening Post /forum/post/0

I couldn't help but notice how many nominees there have been that have already be released or announced on Bluray, exclusively! And also on the IMDB "worst of 2006" polls.

Maybe I'm just jealous
or maybe it's just a good laugh!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/0

And also on the IMDB "worst of 2006" polls.

I haven't looked at the whole list, but I remember from the past that when I spot checked it, Sony seemed to have a strong share of the worst 100 films of all time on imdb.com.

--Darin

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

That's the exact reason why rdjam created this thread. Apparently it's the best rebuttle he's able to come up with.

People will actually want the Oscar nominated films. And if they want them in high definition they'll have to go with Blu-ray. It's as simple as that.

If OTOH you're someone who likes crap, well Blu-ray has something for you as well.

Either way rdjam, it's good news for Blu-ray!

Smart.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well blu' s plan seems to be to put out anything and everything on the format which could hurt them. Their will be so many bad tittles mixed in with the good..

Evey movie in the past few weeks was BD and DVD. But when UMD came out they did the same thing. "Own it on DVD and UMD disc today" well we all know how that worked out. They, for what ever deal are still putting out UMD movies, yet no adverting for them anymore. Prehapps just a contract with compneys to put out X# of movie in said time frame...

Were as HDDVD seems to be better films but far less of them, which could also hut the format as pepole will buy up all the HDDVDs then have to turn to BD to countine buying HD.

I myself may start importing HDDVDs glad to see so many good films comming to france,UK and japan...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.