The 2009 NFL Playoffs

NFC Championship Game in HDTV on FOX

Philadelphia Eagles at Arizona Cardinals

Live from University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ

January 18, 2009

3:00pm ET

720p & DD5.1

Announcers:

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Pam Oliver & Chris Myers (Field reporters)

Please include your source (OTA, Cable, Satellite) and your location (City & Station) with your posts.

Quote:
foxsports.com

By John Czarnecki

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Since the AFL-NFL merger, this NFC Championship game features the lowest combined regular-season winning percentage of any two teams meeting in a title game. The Cardinals are the lowest seed (4) ever to host the championship game and it is a franchise that has gone 60 years without a championship.

There is no question that the Cardinals (7-2 at home this season) have an advantage with crowd noise and the fact their defense plays quicker and faster in the ideal conditions at home. Arizona has been opportunistic in the playoffs with nine take-aways; look for the Cards to attack the edges, especially RT Jon Runyan, who is slowed by a right knee sprain.

The Cardinals have had great play from their front seven in their two improbable playoff wins and this game could be decided by which offensive line wins the battle. Arizona's O-line has been surprisingly dominant in the playoffs. LT Wayne Gandy has shut down pass rushers John Abraham and Julius Peppers on successive weeks. However, he won't be the issue in this game. The entire line, plus RB Edgerrin James, must pick up the assorted Philadelphia blitzers and keep Kurt Warner from being sacked or worse, fumbling. The Eagles love to flood the gaps with their big linebackers and then shoot someone off the edge. They were the No. 2 blitzing team in the league this season.

Everyone talks about James being an effective runner at the end of the season, thus balancing the attack, but the Cardinals really put him back in the lineup because he's a better pass blocker than Tim Hightower. Arizona expects WR Anquan Boldin (hamstring) to play, but even he doesn't know how long he will hold up. If Boldin plays, it gives Warner another target one who is very adept at running after the catch.

Larry Fitzgerald, who isn't a noted route runner, has played the best two games of his career in the playoffs, totaling 14 catches for 267 yards and two TDs. Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston are noted "bad ball" receivers, which should help Warner.

The Eagles will continue to allow cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown to play man coverage on the outside, meaning that both could get stuck in a trailing position whenever Fitzgerald and Boldin run crossing routes, a Cardinal favorite and one that worked perfectly against Carolina's zone last weekend.

The Eagles haven't been running well, just 2.5 yards a carry in the playoffs, and RB Brian Westbrook was slowed this week by swelling in his left knee. Philadelphia needs to keep showing the run in order to keep Arizona pass rushers off Donovan McNabb.

Philadelphia's wide receivers caught 197 passes in the regular season, the most in the Andy Reid era. They've caught another 25 in the two playoff wins, and there's no question that rookie DeSean Jackson must continue his big-play streak. Jackson, though, will be covered by another rookie, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who did an excellent job on Carolina's Steve Smith last weekend. Rodgers-Cromartie has two INTs in the playoffs and six in his last nine games. His play has allowed Antrel Rolle to stay at free safety.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ionship-Sunday

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,715 Posts

Quote:
Please include your source (OTA, Cable, Satellite) and your location (City & Station) with your posts.

This is very important.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I hear the pre-game show is in studio? Any truth to this?

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/15586990

the roof will be closed again for more noise.

No suprise there. This could be one explosive game for the Cards if Warner's jersey isn't getting dirty.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/15587128

yes both cbs & fox are in studio.

Ughh. At least the CBS pre-game will look good, I guess

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr /forum/post/15587206

Ughh. At least the CBS pre-game will look good, I guess

Actually the studio show looks excellent to me today on my recently added by D* local network KTTW.

I have experienced a couple of audio dropouts however.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE /forum/post/15587324

Actually the studio show looks excellent to me today on my recently added by D* local network KTTW.

I have experienced a couple of audio dropouts however.

The faces look like crap though. Maybe its because I sit 4 feet away from my screen, but its only 23"

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
I am picking this up on FOX Channel 5 New York OTA.

There is no way this is 720p.

Looks like Faux-widescreen 480p at best.

Somebody's lying, or compressing the 720p as to be nearly-unwatchable.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek /forum/post/15587485

I am picking this up on FOX Channel 5 New York OTA.

There is no way this is 720p.

Looks like Faux-widescreen 480p at best.

Somebody's lying, or compressing the 720p as to be nearly-unwatchable.

I believe that is exactly what it is.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Terry Bradshaw just tried to explain the digital transition with a set of rabbit ears and a DTV converter box. That was painful to watch.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That pretty much describes the Fox pre-game show. The first couple of seasons that Fox had NFL back I used to think it was entertaining, but now I can't remember why.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I switched to CBS when JB left. Anyone else having the audio dropouts?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,715 Posts
NFL On FOX in studio is always 480i > 720p upconverted.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE /forum/post/15587623

I switched to CBS when JB left.

I switched to CBS as well when JB left. That and the fact that CBS has a much more watchable pregame show in super sharp 1080i.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
They're now on with Troy and Joe and the pic looks good; Comcast Willow Grove.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
A+ for the National Anthem..................

1 - 20 of 148 Posts