AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here's a tricky one for you audiophiles:

For a small 1 bedroom apartment. I was going to get the logitech z-5500, but no one has had it in stock for the past couple weeks (even logitech's online store). so here's what i need:

-the best surround speakers you can get for $300.

-they need to be able to play music as well as movies

-must have digital optical input

-must be a wired 5.1 system (no wireless - too much interference)

-i don't need a dvd player.

so far i've narrowed it down to the yamaha yht-270, the onkyo ht-s590, and the sherwood hts 6500. my wife is japanese, and apparently onkyo is really good she says, plus they're just under $200 shipped. so we're leaning toward that one.

If there are any other systems out there, please let me know as well. i'd like to have this ordered in the next day or two. thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The Onkyo HT-S590 is imo the best vaue in a 5.1 system at the price. You can find it right now on sale at shoponkyo.com for $149 shipped with waranty. You have to sign up with the website and use the $10 first time buyers credit to get that price though. Only takes a minute. Excellent deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

The Onkyo HT-S590 is imo the best vaue in a 5.1 system at the price. You can find it right now on sale at shoponkyo.com for $149 shipped with waranty. You have to sign up with the website and use the $10 first time buyers credit to get that price though. Only takes a minute. Excellent deal.

and the Onkyo HT-S790 is even that much better then the 590...i think i read someone saw it on shoponkyo.com form $269 or $299

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
isn't the s790 an 8 channel setup? we have small place here - westside apartment - and i don't think we've ever even watched a dvd that supported anything more than 5.1.

i'd rather not spend more on more speakers, just to have more speakers...

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculanus /forum/post/0

isn't the s790 an 8 channel setup? we have small place here - westside apartment - and i don't think we've ever even watched a dvd that supported anything more than 5.1.

i'd rather not spend more on more speakers, just to have more speakers...

the 790 is a 7.1 system....but if $=$ why not get the better system and then if you really dont want the extra speakers sell them on ebay and recoup some cash :shrug:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know.... i think i'd rather just rather buy it and be done with it. I know some people really enjoy shopping for a system, but it really is just giving me a headache. It looks like this evening though I'll be able to sit down and order the onkyo.

I just wish there were something THX certified (even marginally) like the logitech. I really enjoy the whole "being there" effect when canons fire or martians start jumping out of the ground.

One more contender I noticed I'd like to consider before making the cut is the Philips HTS3450. Also a sub-$200 system. Any thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, the fronts and the powered sub on the 790 are a nice upgrade. And you can use the extra two speakers in another room if you want using the "B" selection, or sell them.

Between the ones mentioned, I'd probably look at the Onkyo or Yamaha, preferring the Onkyo as a fanboy.
I don't know anything about Sherwood.

edit: I listened to one of the Philips systems at a b&m store and wasn't that impressed. Of course, I shy away from units that combine DVD players and receivers.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:

I don't know.... i think i'd rather just rather buy it and be done with it. I know some people really enjoy shopping for a system, but it really is just giving me a headache. It looks like this evening though I'll be able to sit down and order the onkyo.

I just wish there were something THX certified (even marginally) like the logitech. I really enjoy the whole "being there" effect when canons fire or martians start jumping out of the ground.

One more contender I noticed I'd like to consider before making the cut is the Philips HTS3450. Also a sub-$200 system. Any thoughts on that one?

this will make you feel better about the 790, i was playing resistance: fall of man and you can hear when the alien is breathing behind you(i tried it in 5.1 and 7.1 and it rocked both ways)...there is even a quick set up chart for the 790 and that has you just hook up 5 speakers for 5.1 sound(just put the other 2 speakers away until you either need them or want to use them....they are the same as the surrounds so if something were to happen to one you could replace it easily)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i'm not finding the s790 for anything less than $350, so that rules that out.

S590 it is then. happy to have that under me... i get too easily distracted from real work with this kind of psuedo work.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:

Well i'm not finding the s790 for anything less than $350, so that rules that out.

S590 it is then. happy to have that under me... i get too easily distracted from real work with this kind of psuedo work.

$340 at CC(including their $40 off coupon)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
No doubt the 790 is a better system, bigger speakers, powered subwoofer, more inputs etc. I didn't mention it because it wasn't part of the OPS criteria. You can get it for $329 + shipping at accessories4less.com or at CC mentioned above. Eather system the 590 at $149 or the 790 at just above $300 are imo the best bang for the buck in their class. I had the 580 which is the previous version of the 590 and was very impressed with it at it's price point. Athough I've since upgraded the speakers and sub I still have the receiver and have tested it against many budget stand alone receivers and as far as SQ nothing had beat it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually have something to add to this. I am a pharmacy student who lives in an apartment room and has about $300 to spend as well.

I don't understand why you all pick the onkyo S590 over the yamaha ht-270.

The yamaha has a powered sub and the receiver has a true powered sub output (yes i know you high wire it or whatever, but why mess with that) and is xm satellite ready.

I was just wondering if I was missing something about the yamaha since it seems to have more features as a system.

At this price range is the onkyo receiver that much better, or even better at all for that matter?

Thank you guys for all your knowledge!!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think both systems are pretty comparable once you take price into consideration. Then it comes down to what you want to spend.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance26 /forum/post/0

I actually have something to add to this. I am a pharmacy student who lives in an apartment room and has about $300 to spend as well.

I don't understand why you all pick the onkyo S590 over the yamaha ht-270.

The yamaha has a powered sub and the receiver has a true powered sub output (yes i know you high wire it or whatever, but why mess with that) and is xm satellite ready.

I was just wondering if I was missing something about the yamaha since it seems to have more features as a system.

At this price range is the onkyo receiver that much better, or even better at all for that matter?

Thank you guys for all your knowledge!!

It's generally a budget thing. People are generally looking for a best quality cheap 5.1 htib package are not wanting to spend more than they have to. The HT-S590 can usually be had for

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

imo if you're willing to spend $300 plus shipping on the 270 why not shoot for the Onkyo 790 at just over $300 which is a 7.1 system has more features, more digital inputs, bigger speakers all the way around a powered sub and is overall a better system than both of these.

Where is the 790 for just over $300?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can a sytem be made up for $329 that will be better than the S790?

Everyone seems to be heads over heels for this system, i'm just wondering if it's possible to get anything better if it's pieced together..i'm not scared to piece it if it's going to be worth it. 5.1...even if i get the S790 i would have to use it as it is for a bedroom and bed is up against the wall.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoasprinkles /forum/post/0

Can a sytem be made up for $329 that will be better than the S790?

Everyone seems to be heads over heels for this system, i'm just wondering if it's possible to get anything better if it's pieced together..i'm not scared to piece it if it's going to be worth it. 5.1...even if i get the S790 i would have to use it as it is for a bedroom and bed is up against the wall.

In a nutshell "NO". There is no way to put together a full 5.1 quality system or 7.1 at the price. The usual guide to decide wheather are not to go the component route is usually in the $550 - $600 for a 5.1 system.

Now you can start off slow at less inital cost say for example with the Onkyo 504 and a pair of Athena B1.2s which would be a quality budget setup. But that puts you at just

If you're thinking about upgrading in the future and want full 5.1 or 7.1 now. I would avise going for the 590 or 790 and saving up, when your ready to upgrade ebay the original speakers and sub as a package, I did this and was very suprised by what they brought. In the end it'll be about the same bucks, or less if you shop around nd you'll have a full system from the start plus the benifits of seeing for yourself what a difference the upgrade made.

I took this route with the HT-S580 package and after buying speakers on sale, demoing them ebaying them (usually for a profit) I was able to put together my 5.1 system for $400 in the end. It did take 8 months to do and lots of researching sales, etc but in the end it was worth it. It did take patients which most don't have (we want it all and we want it now) and was frustrating at times, I'm glad i did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just jumped on the S590 deal since the price is incredible right now. Thou I don't expect it to rival my current setup (Panny XR55, Velodynes, and Dayton sub), I do hope the quality won't be too far from it. I figured, a nice upgrade in the future will do - as stated above.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooqeem0nsta /forum/post/0

i just jumped on the S590 deal since the price is incredible right now. Thou I don't expect it to rival my current setup (Panny XR55, Velodynes, and Dayton sub), I do hope the quality won't be too far from it. I figured, a nice upgrade in the future will do - as stated above.

No it won't rival your current setup, although I'm down on dayton subs so the passive sub might give you better sound, not near the output though. It is a great deal for the price of a complete system with walmart selling their cheapo durabrands and whatnot close to the same price it's almost laughable. I was satisified with mine for the price.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.