AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To recount my saga thus far, I have just received an Onkyo S590 HT setup for a mere $149, including shipping. Now, I need an HDTV to go with it. The fact that I spent less than $150 on my entire sound system should give some idea of how much I am looking to invest.

Here's what I need:

1. Cheap, cheap, cheap

2. HDTV

3. Widescreen

4. Preferably DVI input

5. Used/refurbished is perfectly fine.

6. "Flat-tube" (not enough space for traditional tubes)

7. did i say cheap?

I'm only expecting to use this setup for a couple years, tops, so future proofing or any other nonsense is completely irrelevant to my decision. I'm under the impression that Toshiba and Samsung are basically the only guys in the game given these requirements. Is this right?

I'm in NYC, so if there's anything particularly special available locally....

Oh, and $300 is an absolute max, not a target.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A couple of days ago I noticed a used 26" Toshiba advertised locally for $275 CAN. If I were in your shoes, that would be my only option. Being in my shoes I hate the the dimensional look of the 26 inchers, I have a 30".

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhed /forum/post/0

A couple of days ago I noticed a used 26" Toshiba advertised locally for $275 CAN. If I were in your shoes, that would be my only option. Being in my shoes I hate the the dimensional look of the 26 inchers, I have a 30".

Do you know where that was? What model? If that's the price, I'd like to try to work something out if possible.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've never subscribed to this thing of getting the cheapest thing you can find. Sure, I budget shop ( I work in a factory for $9.35 per hour and live alone so I have nobody helping me out with bills. Because of that I'm forced to budget shop. ) but I certainly don't go for the very, very cheapest. A TV is something you are going to have for years to come so you should be willing to put back at least one or two extra paychecks for it. To get something decent I think you are going to have to put your minimum at $600-$800. Those are still very low prices for TVs and certainly won't stand up to the awesome ones that cost thousands but at least they start getting watchable at that price. For $300 all you are going to get is outright junk. When I got my XBR970 for $800 it really set me back. It took me a couple months to finally get caught back up but it was worth the struggle. Eventually I plan on making a really huge plunge by spending $2000 or so on a flat panel once the contrast ratios finally get comparable to CRTs. Considering the meager wages I make that will be extremely difficult to pull off but I know I'll feel better later for having sacrificed to make it happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman1972 /forum/post/0

A TV is something you are going to have for years to come so you should be willing to put back at least one or two extra paychecks for it.

As I mentioned, this is intended be a stand in unit. My wife is going to be in Boston at dental school while I'm stuck in New York (not a bad thing) for work.

I don't want something good, because it'll be moved at least 2 times in the next two years, and the greater cash flow at that time will allow for much better equipment anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.