AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea for the 360 that I really wish MS would implement. Unless it's impossible of course.

Since using my PS3 for a couple months I've become spoiled by its whisper-quiet operation. The fact is you can't really hear the difference between when there's a disc spinning in the drive and when you're just sitting at the dashboard. I have a launch 360 and when playing games it sounds like a jet engine taking off.

The reason the PS3 is quieter isn't the fans ... I'd say the PS3 is only marginally quieter than the 360 at the dash. It's the drive. Because a hard drive is standard in the PS3, developers can "install" core files and then use a combination of disc/hdd access to keep load times low. On the 360 every game has to be playable without the HDD because of the core model ... something that necessitated a 12x DVD drive with a 16MB/sec transfer rate. Though it's much faster than the 9MB/sec transfer of the PS3's Blu-Ray drive, it's also much louder.

That's a trade-off where, to me, I feel the 360 comes out weaker.

My idea is this. Since MS already allows developers to code their games both for DVD-only and DVD+HDD caching operation, why not create a "quiet mode" where if the HDD is present the DVD drive can drop from 12x to something like 8x or 6x. That would make the 360 considerably quieter. I could care less about waiting an extra couple seconds for a level to load if it meant not having to crank the volume to drown out the noise.

The rumored/confirmed/rumored 360 2.0, with HDMI, a larger HDD and the 65nm processor, will still be noisy if it's using the same 12x drive. So a firmware update with a quiet mode might be the only real option. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I also hate the noise. I don't have the luxury of raising the volume with everyone asleep. I'd like a fast/slow DVD RPM option in the setup. I'd bear the load times to eliminate the jet engine noise.

BTW the 12x DVD speed is only on the outer edge of the disc and only on single layer DVDs. DL DVDs read at 8x max. The transfer rates are very close, unless you just compare max transfer rates.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPigeon /forum/post/0

"Since using my PS3 for a couple months I've become spoiled by its whisper-quiet operation"

I stopped reading at this point. The Sony fan boys never stop.

Well, from another PS3 and 360 owner, they are worlds apart. The PS3 is very silent, more so than my HTPC that I went out of my way to make quiet with special fans.

·
Registered
674 Posts
When i had my 360 out in the open it was loud as hell. I figured give it the most space so it could breathe. But when i got my refurb back i just placed it on my componet rack and that really dampened the sound. I didn't hear the jet engine drive as much as it being just out in the open.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine locks up if I put it in the rack. It's out in the open on top of a short rack, and the noise it creates is the only negative to a great system (well, other than the crappy wireless headset, faulty downloads on Live and the insane pricing of Lumines which still bugs me).

I went to Home Depot and bought some small 1/2 inch rubber spacers that I mounted in the four corners under my 360. They're sticky on one side and serve to both create airflow under the system (where it seems to be hottest) and dampen some of the vibrations. I'd open the system up to do a proper dampening job to keep all the plastic parts from vibrating but don't want to void my warrantee.

Needless to say, the noise bugs me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Some people say their 360 is very loud, I've had 2 different 360s, one a launch model and one that I bought recently and they're both not loud at all. My PS3 is whisper silent, but not much more so than my 360s. There was a test done recently wehre someone tested how loud the 3 new consoles were adn teh 360 actually came out on top, with the PS3 second and the Wii surprisingly third. Anyways, take that as you will, but a lot of people have 360s that aren't loud. Perhaps just different builds?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly /forum/post/0

Some people say their 360 is very loud, I've had 2 different 360s, one a launch model and one that I bought recently and they're both not loud at all. My PS3 is whisper silent, but not much more so than my 360s. There was a test done recently wehre someone tested how loud the 3 new consoles were adn teh 360 actually came out on top, with the PS3 second and the Wii surprisingly third. Anyways, take that as you will, but a lot of people have 360s that aren't loud. Perhaps just different builds?

Do you have a link for this? Because I have a bunch of friends with 360s, from multiple production lines and batches, and the noise level is universally bad. There's some variance to be sure, but there's no way a 12x DVD drive is going to be quieter than a 2x Blu-Ray drive.

Maybe the testers have info on where their 360 was manufactured. I'd like to know, because I've never heard of any test, anywhere, that lists the 360 as quieter than either the Wii or PS3. It's usually quite the opposite. I've heard the Samsung drives are a bit quieter, but still louder than the competition.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu /forum/post/0

Do you have a link for this? Because I have a bunch of friends with 360s, from multiple production lines and batches, and the noise level is universally bad. There's some variance to be sure, but there's no way a 12x DVD drive is going to be quieter than a 2x Blu-Ray drive.

Maybe the testers have info on where their 360 was manufactured. I'd like to know, because I've never heard of any test, anywhere, that lists the 360 as quieter than either the Wii or PS3. It's usually quite the opposite. I've heard the Samsung drives are a bit quieter, but still louder than the competition.

My DVD drive is loud as well (depends on the game) but I came across this article on wii60.com. Nothing official but interesting results.

wii60 article

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPigeon /forum/post/0

I have a better idea tho than quieter fans. How about a console that works longer than a few days Microsoft? Thats what this topic should be about.

Come on, they want to ship 16M of them before June...replacements are key to achieving this goal...

I have mixed feelings. My launch unit worked flawlessly for more than a year...then it died...until the very day it dies, I use to think the reliability issue had been exagerated.

Now, after doing some research, I realize there is a gigantic wave of dying consoles and it's still getting bigger. I don't know how they manage to spoil their success with such low quality.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
toshiba-samsung drive in mine, build date dec 05. Noisy as hell. Just sitting at the Dashboard it's ok. I think MS needs to admit they screwed up with the nonsense Core system not having a HD, and just tell developers to start using the HD more and shut the darn DVD player up by slowing it down.

You can always mod it with a new firmware and with that firmware tell the drive to operate in slow mode.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu /forum/post/0

Not very scientific, but here it is:
http://www.pregamelobby.com/forum/vi...e_loudness.htm

My 360 is pretty loud, but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
979 Posts
There are 2 different drives for the 360 the ones from launch with the older drives are loud. The newer drives while still loud aren't nearly as bad as the old ones. I have had a lot of comparason since I have bricked 3 360's I have had 2 with the old drive and 2 with the new drive.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
The problem with discussing levels of "loudness" is this: there's a mixture of science and opinion. There are ways to measure how loud something is, but because of the difference in loudness of everyone's gaming room and that individuals' threshold of tolerance for "loudness" is different, it is nearly impossible to reach a consensus. This doesn't even take into account the fact that there are different builds of the 360 with completely different drives out there.

Personally, I feel my 360 is fine (level of noise noticeable but not distracting) when no disk spinning or and older Xbox1 game or DVD is spinning.

However, when a 360 game is spinning, the level of noise is annoying. During loud gaming this isn't much of a problem, but I really wish the drive was quieter.

To address the OP's comparison, I agree that Sony's Playstation 3 is much quieter (almost undetectable) with no disk activity, and when the drive is spinning the noise doesn't increase noticeably.

I think Sony has set a new benchmark for acceptable hardware noise and I hope Microsoft addresses this will future 360 re-designs.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/0

Personally, I feel my 360 is fine (level of noise noticeable but not distracting) when no disk spinning or and older Xbox1 game or DVD is spinning.

However, when a 360 game is spinning, the level of noise is annoying. During loud gaming this isn't much of a problem, but I really wish the drive was quieter.

That sums up my experience exactly. The unit is also loud when running an HD-DVD movie. Not louder, just as loud as when a game is playing. The HD-DVD drive itself is whisper quiet, it's the unit making noise while the processing is doing all the work.

As for the units getting quiter, I bet they will very soon. Msoft is about (next 2-4 months) to begin building 360s with the smaller chips. These chips will be just as fast but will run cooler and use less energy. That should result in a quiter machine as the fans won't need to work so hard.

JS

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.