1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/39-Steps-Blu...1250174162&sr=

YES!

ITV is rocking for sure.

They have to be considered one of the best bd distributors for classic titles imo.

"The Red Shoes", "Great Expectations", "Brief Encounter", etc. etc.

no word on possible region coding.

Most of their releases have been region free, but a few have not.

(won't affect me either way)

REGION FREE--THE WAY TO BE

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is good news.

It's been ages since I watched this one but I seem to remember I liked it. There was something fresh to it. I think it's considered the first one of his "innocent guy persecuted cross-country" movies, which would culminate in "North by northwest".

·
Registered
126 Posts
A not-so-good review of the blu-ray, in case you haven't seen it, yet.

CC

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would not trust blu-ray.com reviewers (ofcourse there are a couple of exceptions).

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leterface /forum/post/17374807

I would not trust blu-ray.com reviewers (ofcourse there are a couple of exceptions).

Dude, those screenshots looked awful. Also, the reviewer did several A/B tests of the movie with the Criterion DVD and couldn't find a noticable difference.

Now, I agree that one single review is not much to go on. But it should definately raise questions on how good the transfer is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow.

that's tragic.

ITV has been very strong on these old classics, but obviously that review doesn't sound good.

Dr. S. reviews tons of discs on bd.com, and has a very respected view, so let's hope something is somehow amiss.

I was really looking forward to this.

Now I'm really bummed.

Let's hope "Hamlet" and "Henry V" are a lot better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. While it may not be an impressive and indeed be a disappointing release, a public domain film from 1935 may not have any filmmaterial available that's even remotely close to the negative. A fuzzy transfer might not be the fault of the people involved. Bluray.com reviewers have said some silly things before, and this might not be an exception.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The 39 Steps was never public domain in the UK. (It isn't public domain in the U.S. either -- Carlton "re-asserted" the U.S. copyright in 1997 -- but nobody's made any visible effort to crack down on unauthorized distribution.) As for existing source materials, Criterion's old laserdisc was (per the jacket copy) transferred from the negative, but by the time the DVD rolled around they were using a "35mm composite fine-grain master," which if I'm not mistaken shouldn't be too far removed from the negative.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It looks bad, but I highly doubt it is a standard definition upconvert, as the reviewer claims. The grain is too fine, for a start. And, whenever reviewers start going on about "defective copies", it makes me wonder whether they actually have any idea how digital video formats work.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles /forum/post/17385491

It looks bad, but I highly doubt it is a standard definition upconvert, as the reviewer claims. The grain is too fine, for a start. And, whenever reviewers start going on about "defective copies", it makes me wonder whether they actually have any idea how digital video formats work.

You are right, read on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRW /forum/post/17377762

Dude, those screenshots looked awful. Also, the reviewer did several A/B tests of the movie with the Criterion DVD and couldn't find a noticable difference.

Now, I agree that one single review is not much to go on. But it should definately raise questions on how good the transfer is.
Here is some professionals opinions on the review.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LOM /forum/post/17395740

My Screenshot comparison of the British ITV Blu-ray and the Criterion DVD.

The screen shots of the map do look sharper and have finer grain on the Blu-ray than on the DVD. The people claiming there is no difference are wrong. I have the Criterion DVD but I might not get the Blu-ray, even if it is slightly better. The 39 Steps is a great film but this is one of those times when I have a hard time justifying the upgrade.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ostrow /forum/post/17395914

The screen shots of the map do look sharper and have finer grain on the Blu-ray than on the DVD. The people claiming there is no difference are wrong. I have the Criterion DVD but I might not get the Blu-ray, even if it is slightly better. The 39 Steps is a great film but this is one of those times when I have a hard time justifying the upgrade.

There is indeed a noticable difference, especially (but not only) in the grain.

I guess it's worth the upgrade if you project on a screen larger than, say, 90.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner /forum/post/17399061

Geez, the reviewer is unbearably smug and obnoxious.

He is? I bet he's right. The reviewer is a guy who posts a lot on their forums and, while he seems to be a nice guy, does not come off as an informed critic with technical know-how or the background to be reviewing titles. I agree with the other poster that when you say "maybe I got a defective copy," you probably don't know what you are looking at.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/17399427

He is? I bet he's right.

Are we talking about Torsten or the author of the original review? I was referring to the rebuttals to Torsten's posts that seem awfully snide and dismissive to me, and he seems to cherrypick the arguments he wants to respond to. I get the impression that we're both on the same page -- at least as far as the technical end of the reviewer's write-ups go -- but the "he is?" makes it sound like we're disagreeing. Sorry if I'm misreading something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.