AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to these forums but I was directed here by a friend and they seem to have A LOT more information than expected, I'm pretty sure I'll stick around for a long time to come.

For a while I've wanted to get a Plasma HDTV or an LCD-HDTV, I settled on Plasma. And on this particular model, the Panasonic TH-42PX60U, the 42" one.

Mainly I'm going to be using it for gaming (PS2, PS3, X Box 360) and watching DVDs with an up-converting DVD player, and maybe the occassional anime show or whatever by connecting my laptop to it.

I want to buy it from newegg, I'd post a link but I don't have the privelige yet. Just go into newegg and search "Panasonic TH-42PX60U" to get to it.

It's pretty much in my price range, it'll cost me a months salary but I guess it'll be worth it.

I'm pretty new to Plasma and HD TVs, I heard stuff like break-in and callibration and all that stuff...I was wondering what steps must I take to get the best out of my Plasma, I intend to buy it within a few weeks, but I wanted to know all of this beforehand.

Any help would be appreciated, also I don't mind any suggestions for similiar high quality Plasmas that might be better for a similiar or lower price.

Thanks in advance.

//I hope I didn't break any posting rules!!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've had 1 for a month now and really like it.

don't see much burn in, but i dont game w/ it.

I just got a 2nd one from amazon.com for $1340 tax and frt included.

its going up in the kids den/playroom. that will be more for gaming.

i ordered that one just after christmas, and took delivery just this monday.

i think its a great value.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliasoz /forum/post/0

Hi, I'm new to these forums but I was directed here by a friend and they seem to have A LOT more information than expected, I'm pretty sure I'll stick around for a long time to come.

For a while I've wanted to get a Plasma HDTV or an LCD-HDTV, I settled on Plasma. And on this particular model, the Panasonic TH-42PX60U, the 42" one.

Mainly I'm going to be using it for gaming (PS2, PS3, X Box 360) and watching DVDs with an up-converting DVD player, and maybe the occassional anime show or whatever by connecting my laptop to it.

I want to buy it from newegg, I'd post a link but I don't have the privelige yet. Just go into newegg and search "Panasonic TH-42PX60U" to get to it.

It's pretty much in my price range, it'll cost me a months salary but I guess it'll be worth it.

I'm pretty new to Plasma and HD TVs, I heard stuff like break-in and callibration and all that stuff...I was wondering what steps must I take to get the best out of my Plasma, I intend to buy it within a few weeks, but I wanted to know all of this beforehand.

Any help would be appreciated, also I don't mind any suggestions for similiar high quality Plasmas that might be better for a similiar or lower price.

Thanks in advance.

//I hope I didn't break any posting rules!!!

Good choice on the TV...its an awesome set!

Here are some things you can or should do:

- Break the TV in properly. This means leaving the settings for Picture and Contrast at ZERO or in the middle and taking the TV OFF of the Vivid setting. Try Cinema or at least standard making sure to drop the Picture and Contrast down. Once the settings are dialed down, simply vary the material you watch but stay away from 4:3 content unless you make sure to use the stretch feature. Also, avoid 2.35:1 movies which will show bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Just stick to content that fills the whole screen,. An occasional commercial or something isnt gonna hurt it at all...just dont do it for hours at a time. I use Discovery HD Theater a lot for break-in, its perfect for that! Do this for about 100 hours and then you are good to go!

- I would avoid gaming at first...maybe a little here and there but not all day until the break-in is completed.

- Most people feel calibration is worth it. You can try the AVIA DVD or DVE discs to help you. You can also pay for an ISF calibration which is costly but apparently works well most of the time. You'll have to decide on that one as the jury is still out on this.

- When your break-in is over, then you can bump up the settings to your liking. Try adding 10-12 clicks to the Picture setting and about 6-8 clicks to the Brightness for starters. Color and Tint are personal preference.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just pruchased the same set. It was difficult for me to decide the winner for my aplication on this sight and on paper. But once I went to acually compare with my own eyes I though the panny's beat everything else in this price randge.

Just want to help you out. I just ordered mine on FRYS.COM for hundreds less than newegg has it for. Plus they have free shipping. I have never ordered anthing from frys before so we will see how this order goes. I found frys.com as a direct link off of Panasonics web sight.

Also can anyone recommend some good starting point settings for once this unit is broken in. I really do not want to go through all 165 pages on the sticky thread when 95% of it is worthless to me.

I thought I saw

Pic +15

Bright +4

Color -4

tint -3

Sharp -3

set to Warm

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Outstanding choice, it was my runner-up. You can't go wrong, listen to the Panny vets on how to break it in and use it properly and you'll be fine.

I would personally avoid gaming during the breakin period. If you have to game, turn the C&B even lower than for TV viewing if possible and avoid gaming for hours on end especially with the same game. Turning the TV on for a few minutes after every round/game will help alot.

Good Luck and Happy Viewing !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the tips guys, especially s2mikey thanks for going a bit into a few details, since that's what I'm looking for.

Also, what's an ISF calliration? Is that where a tech person does it? Or is it some sort of tool? Personally I feel that I'd prefer to get it done by a technician. Would I find one at a Best Buy or something?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the tips guys, especially s2mikey thanks for going a bit into a few details, since that's what I'm looking for.

Also, what's an ISF calliration? Is that where a tech person does it? Or is it some sort of tool? Personally I feel that I'd prefer to get it done by a technician. Would I find one at a Best Buy or something?

ISF calibration is when an Image Scientist sets up your TV. Some people feel its totally worth it, others dont. You'll have to decide that.

Not sure where to get a local ISF technician. Maybe try their website or do some searching. Maybe BB or CC can help...???

·
Registered
101 Posts
1. I bought this set for $200 less than the price shown on newegg.com from compusa.

2. I also have the same set in 50 inch. I broke it in and have a PS3. It is excellent for gaming, and I have not noticed any burnin or retention issues. Notwithstanding the foregoing, I would not recommend any plasma if all you are going to do on it is gaming.

·
Registered
65 Posts
AnthonyArena,

I also have the 42" and am about to add the 50" to my collection -- Any comments? I'm moving from a 50" Vizio that is having some problems. The Vizio is worse than my panasonic when it comes to false contouring. The vizio is also suffering from the red sparklies mentioned on the Vizio thread.

As far as the 42" panasonic goes...I got mine on Black Friday for a great price and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I can't control what is watched when i'm not home, and there is plenty of 4:3 content watched. The only time i'll some image retention is when the screen goes black between commercials... i'll see the sidebars are still kinda there. But when i go back to 16:9 its gone.

So i see no burn in. Also, the newer pannys should be less likely to burn in than in the past.

Also I used the settings in this article as a beginning point and adjusted for my personal liking.

.... ok so this site wont let me post the link...

so just google 42px60u calibration. its the plasma buy guide link.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/0

ISF calibration is when an Image Scientist sets up your TV. Some people feel its totally worth it, others dont. You'll have to decide that.

Not sure where to get a local ISF technician. Maybe try their website or do some searching. Maybe BB or CC can help...???

Oh, I see. Thanks, I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyArena /forum/post/0

1. I bought this set for $200 less than the price shown on newegg from compusa.

2. I also have the same set in 50 inch. I broke it in and have a PS3. It is excellent for gaming, and I have not noticed any burnin or retention issues. Notwithstanding the foregoing, I would not recommend any plasma if all you are going to do on it is gaming.

I'll try compusa, there are a few nearby. I'm gonna watch movies and HD TV programming on it as well, so it won't be just for gaming.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:

I checked out costco, their deal seems pretty good.

Should I choose them over newegg for any reason?

Costco has the no-hassle return policy, so if something ever goes wrong with the TV you can return it for a full refund as long as you keep your membership current.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Quote:

I'm guessing that's a no...

The 60U comes with a stand. The 9UK does not.

Which one are you looking at?

Or are you referring to a piece of furniture the TV can sit on?

I recently purchased the 6U (same as the 60U with a few less features) and am loving it. I'm still in my break in period, but still love the image. I plan on gaming with my 360, ps3, and Wii on it along with their HD-DVD and Blu Ray capabilities (already watched a disc with each). Great plasma for a great price. Heck, great TV for a great price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.