AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after seeing the amazing improvements in both LCD picture quality and size at this year's CES, I've decided to hold off replacing my old second-generation Sony 60" LCD RPTV with a 70" SXRD RPTV (which at 2 feet deep really doesn't fit my room) and will settle on a slightly smaller 57" direct view 1080p 120hz LCD. Which has the bonus side effect of being much easier to relocate to a new room in my house should I want a 70" or 80" LCD in a few years. :-D

Still, it seems that the 57" category is still rather limited. I have so far only been able to find rather brief information on:

* LG 57LY3D

* Samsung LN-T5781F

* Toshiba 57LX177

So far the Samsung's LED-driven contrast ratio is the most appealing, however there doesn't seem to be any concrete release dates. From other specifications the Toshiba looks the next most appealing, and the LG so far might also be good but details are quite sketchy.

Are there any other new panels coming out by summer that I've missed? And yes, I know Sony may announce something in March.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks /forum/post/0

So, after seeing the amazing improvements in both LCD picture quality and size at this year's CES, I've decided to hold off replacing my old second-generation Sony 60" LCD RPTV with a 70" SXRD RPTV (which at 2 feet deep really doesn't fit my room) and will settle on a slightly smaller 57" direct view 1080p 120hz LCD. Which has the bonus side effect of being much easier to relocate to a new room in my house should I want a 70" or 80" LCD in a few years. :-D

Still, it seems that the 57" category is still rather limited. I have so far only been able to find rather brief information on:

* LG 57LY3D

* Samsung LN-T5781F

* Toshiba 57LX177

So far the Samsung's LED-driven contrast ratio is the most appealing, however there doesn't seem to be any concrete release dates. From other specifications the Toshiba looks the next most appealing, and the LG so far might also be good but details are quite sketchy.

Are there any other new panels coming out by summer that I've missed? And yes, I know Sony may announce something in March.

I had the 52" XBR2 LCD fo about two weeks and returned it anticpating significant developments in LCD this year. I will wait for the Fall to get a 120mhz 10-bit set.

·
Registered
170 Posts
samsung did not say anything about the 57" or the 81 series for that matter being 120hz. I ope it is since that seems to be the direction these sets are heading. + samsung can still change the specs. And im sure they will change to 120hz t compete with thier competition since everyone seems to be announcing them.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
The good news for you is with patience the current 57" Samsung has been steadily dropping in price as it originally was at $10K when it debuted at Mag Stores late June 06, and can now be found for around $6K or less.

If we go by history the Samsung may debut next gen 57" at the same period one year later perhaps at a slight price premium with all these added features as they should also have their 70" arriving on scene then or sooner to compete with the Sharp 65" at $11K MSRP and the reduced 71" LG at $15K MSRP. It looks as if Sharp is giving up the 57" so it has no competitive unit to the 65" in their own line and perhaps better math in cutting the Mother Glass economically until the 108" debuts to the upper crust folks with the bucks much like the 103" Panny PDP.

The Samsung though having limited feedback has been excellent and I chose the Sharp 57" two months ago with no regrets simply because we lack a Mag store and no Samsung 57's available to view and I went with my positive ownership of Sharp in a tie and I am in no way saying mine is better than it. It's great but I still want bigger as it does dot-by-dot so clear that I can handle up to 70" from 8.5-9'.

Sony may announce in March but the wait is usually June through October for next gen. Keep in mind that $33k Sony 70" is made in the same plant as Samsung through their joint partnership - Sony doesn't own it's own independent panel production lines so it'll be interesting how much Samsung will sell their 70" unit for. Sony has taken the panel and added their electronics and it'll be interesting if the 70" MSRP Samsung may be $20K less would be my guess since the 57" has an $7999 MSRP presently (and dropping).

I also wonder if the Toshiba is actually using LG Glass? I personally would choose a Samsung or Sharp from my ownership and viewing experience (cannot afford the Sony) - we're supposed to be getting a Mag store inside BB in our area and this time I should be able to judge both before deciding. Hang in there lots of good HD viewing on the horizon with kick butt CR and color gamut - and WoW factor larger LCD's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would recommend waiting for the next generation of panels.

I picked up a Samsung LN-S5797D last night. After some calibrations using my SpyderTV Pro I watched Phantom of the Opera on both BD (PS3) and HD (A2). I noticed that their seemed to be more motion artifacting and slightly less detial compared to other displays I am used to (Pioneer PDP-5070, Panasonic PT-AE900U, etc).

Does the Sharp display any of these same characteristics?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/0

The good news for you is with patience the current 57" Samsung has been steadily dropping in price as it originally was at $10K when it debuted at Mag Stores late June 06, and can now be found for around $6K or less.

If we go by history the Samsung may debut next gen 57" at the same period one year later perhaps at a slight price premium with all these added features as they should also have their 70" arriving on scene then or sooner to compete with the Sharp 65" at $11K MSRP and the reduced 71" LG at $15K MSRP. It looks as if Sharp is giving up the 57" so it has no competitive unit to the 65" in their own line and perhaps better math in cutting the Mother Glass economically until the 108" debuts to the upper crust folks with the bucks much like the 103" Panny PDP.

The Samsung though having limited feedback has been excellent and I chose the Sharp 57" two months ago with no regrets simply because we lack a Mag store and no Samsung 57's available to view and I went with my positive ownership of Sharp in a tie and I am in no way saying mine is better than it. It's great but I still want bigger as it does dot-by-dot so clear that I can handle up to 70" from 8.5-9'.

Sony may announce in March but the wait is usually June through October for next gen. Keep in mind that $33k Sony 70" is made in the same plant as Samsung through their joint partnership - Sony doesn't own it's own independent panel production lines so it'll be interesting how much Samsung will sell their 70" unit for. Sony has taken the panel and added their electronics and it'll be interesting if the 70" MSRP Samsung may be $20K less would be my guess since the 57" has an $7999 MSRP presently (and dropping).

I also wonder if the Toshiba is actually using LG Glass? I personally would choose a Samsung or Sharp from my ownership and viewing experience (cannot afford the Sony) - we're supposed to be getting a Mag store inside BB in our area and this time I should be able to judge both before deciding. Hang in there lots of good HD viewing on the horizon with kick butt CR and color gamut - and WoW factor larger LCD's.

I have the same question as SunCom - how does the 57" sharp perform for you? You seem quite happy with it but what are it's faults? Does it have the vertical banding issue that plaques the 46"? I want to wait until the new gen stuff starts getting released, but it may not be an option as my window to purchase is closing.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/0

I have the same question as SunCom - how does the 57" sharp perform for you? You seem quite happy with it but what are it's faults? Does it have the vertical banding issue that plaques the 46"? I want to wait until the new gen stuff starts getting released, but it may not be an option as my window to purchase is closing.

My 57" performs outstanding and has no issues as it was totally built in Japan at the other plant. I am upgrading to bigger and if I were unhappy I would not consider the Sharp but most likely will be the D93 65" if anything is repeated like the D62 banding then my money will be spent elsewhere but the rest of the line has no such history.

If I were to nitpick I find it's cosmetics and bulkines as outdated compared to the Samsung and the new models will have the more streamline look with piano black as does my 45" which disappears at night when viewing. Everyone can always asked for more black but the colors and the clarity doing dot-by-dot totally satisfies me to the point I want bigger with the new Micronas Chip and significantly deeper blacks and more details and will sell my 57" at that time and take a loss to get to the next level and BIGGER!

I won't get into better than statements since I like other panels also but I own three Sharp's and will stay with Sharp until I can find better panel that also has better support and service history and I've had zero service issues also. I would also consider the 70" Samsung if it isn't priced like the Sony 70" - Outrageous!

Many time the colors amaze me daily especially when viewing HD DVD's and viewing it blows away anything in the Theater - the Movie house looks dim and dull in comparison and my wife agreed when we went to see DreamGirls and the 40 minutes of forced commercials - YUCK! I wouldn't doubt if the Toshiba is made with LG Glass - I don't think they build there own motherglass.

Competition is good for us. Can't wait to hear about the 70" Samsung and I don't care about the Sony as that's in Lotto Land.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.