AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't even watched the film itself yet. I'm most of the way through the stuff on the second disc and very impressed. I just finished watching GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR narated by Angela Lansbury. It's a must for novices, like me, to understand the differences between Eastman one strip color and Technicolor's 3 strip process. It also covers the history of color films and the reluctance of many to embrace it in the beginning.

...and if you order now...;) you also get a couple of Robin Hood cartoons, one with Daffy Duck and the other with Bugs Bunny.

...and Howard Hill's CAVALCADE OF ARCHERY, deleted scenes, blooper reel, lots of footage from the old silent Robin Hood, a short film about Errol Flynn's sailing schooner, ect, ect...

Yes, there's more! I'm tired of typing it all in! Buy this DVD for the special features as much as for the film itself.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht
Rachael,

I knew you wouldn't wait to grab this one ;)

Tim
Grab it..!..I ran it down like a cheetah on a wildabeast!!!;) Funny, I'll proably not watch the film itself for quite some time. I've watched it so many times on LD that I'm not all that hot to see the film itself. I did all the extras except the radio show 2-day. SIERRA MADRE promises more of the same X-tra fun. I never had the LD of it and I'm anxious to see the actual film too. Good to hear from you mi Amigo!:)

People of Earth attention! This is a voice speaking to you from thousands of miles beyond your atmosphere...Get ROBIN HOOD now! A variety of trailers, cartoons, short features, ex-pert oppinions, documentaies, Angela Lansbury, production snapshots, a ray-dio show, whew! Be the first nutrino on your block to see Howard Hill split arrows and shoot a prune...that ought'a get the ire of the Commite for Plant's Rights. Move over William Tell!

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Robin Hood DVD blows away my Criterion laserdisc. Its also a great bit of Hollywood product: wonderful characters, action galore, down-to-earth humor, and that wondrous technicolor look that seems impossible to duplicate these days...except in Moulin Rouge! Did Baz Luhrmann have a three-strip camera?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Urchinn
...that wondrous technicolor look that seems impossible to duplicate these days...except in Moulin Rouge! Did Baz Luhrmann have a three-strip camera?
I think it's safe to say that while he didn't use a 3 strip camera, Luhrmann wanted to emulate the deeply saturated colors of the 1950's Technicolor musicals. The release prints were on Kodak Vision Premiere 2393 stock, which was designed to produce more vivid colors and blacker blacks.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Urchinn
The Robin Hood DVD blows away my Criterion laserdisc. Its also a great bit of Hollywood product: wonderful characters, action galore, down-to-earth humor, and that wondrous technicolor look that seems impossible to duplicate these days...except in Moulin Rouge! Did Baz Luhrmann have a three-strip camera?
I'm sampling the same Criterion LD and comparing some scenes to the DVD right now and it's much closer on this here set-up, LD-S9 and iscan V2, BTW, RP91 4 DVD. I bought this set for the X-tras more than the film...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Davis
Hi Rachael,

I'm going to try and pick this up tomorrow. It sounds like a great release.
It's a no-brainer, don't blink, don't ponder and don't think! ...just do it and climb SIERRA MADRE y tu. Best wishes!:)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
One feature which was interesting is all the original trailers for each Errol Flynn movie...including my favorite Captain Blood.

Only hope that one goes DVD soon.

Chris.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Did you know the price tag of the original movie in color was $2 million dollars in 1938? I am debating whether to buy a industry standard when I already have a pre-recoreded Vhs in mint, to view at 480i on HDTV in the same OAR and that tired old monaural sound.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I watched disc 1 tonight. It looks stunning for a film from 1938. It is unbelievable. I look forward to the extras on disc 2. Thanks for the heads up, Rachael!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Manaus
...I already have a pre-recoreded Vhs in mint...that tired old monaural sound.
VH, what? ;) ...the sound, it was A #1 sound in 1938 and it's stille good enough for me! You can hear the dialog alot better in ROBIN HOOD alot better than many modern, noisey, effective, ka-boom ka-boom cinematic klassiks. :) Doth ye covet film or film effects?:)

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Davis
I watched disc 1 tonight. It looks stunning for a film from 1938. It is unbelievable. I look forward to the extras on disc 2. Thanks for the heads up, Rachael!
I broke down and watched it too. I was gonna watch SCARFACE but it was too long for the time slot, so ROBIN made the schedule. You'll spend much longer taking in the X-tras.

Larry, go lite on your other expenditures... you should...like...plan on eating lots of macaroni and cheese and water, know what I mean vern? I'll be sending you extensive lists of discs to buy!;) :)

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Manaus
....that tired old monaural sound.
Lets see 200 lines of resolution unrestored or all digital (and good to scale) DVD. I have a mint LD with better specs but didn't think more than a heartbeat to get this.

BTW that's "big fat mono" sound to you. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, Rachael!
Rachael, another thank you - I got Robin Hood and Treasure as a 2 DVD deal at Amazon, and can't wait 'til they arrive! Keep the recommendations coming!

:D

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The movie and some of the extras are great, I said some...

The 3 cartoons have not been restored.

"Katnip Kollege" is completely washed out(the LD has great color) and "Robin Hood Daffy and Rabbit Hood" are ported over from the LD. No type of restoration at all!

No one has written on any of the other boards as what the cartoons look like on "Yankee Doodle Dandy and The Treasure of Sierra Madre."

Let's hope that this is not an indication of what the Looney Tunes DVD Box Set will contain.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I watched it the same day I purchased it as it is one of my all time favorites.

However, I was a little surprised the trailer for Gentleman Jim was not included.:(

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Rachael, another thank you - I got Robin Hood and Treasure as a 2 DVD deal at Amazon, and can't wait 'til they arrive! Keep the recommendations coming!

:D
I could hardly take too much credit, I'm just the messenger. Thank Warner for digging into it's incredible stuffed vault. I hope these two DVD's sell like hotcakes and encourage more of the same! The shee-it be in that lar Warner vault. There must be a staggering amount of short features beyond the films...and the cartoons! One could extrapolate that they could make similar 2-disc sets for about forty days and forty nights.;) Their own and the MGM stuff they control would proably stretch across about 14 time zones laid end to end.

More, more! GUNGA DIN, THE GREAT McGINTY, TOP HATS, SGT. YORK, RED DUST, BOOTS MALONE, 48th PARALELL, GASLIGHT, GIRL CRAZY, THE GOOD EARTH, NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH, THE OLD MAID, RUGGLES OF THE RED GAP, ONE WAY PASSAGE, BRINGING UP BABY, CAPTAIN BLOOD....think how little by the Marx Brothers is on disc le petite? I may be a committie of one, but I want the golden age on DVD!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by Larry Davis:

"The release prints were on Kodak Vision Premiere 2393 stock, which was designed to produce more vivid colors and blacker blacks."

Too bad he could not have availed use of the modern IBT imbibition process for Marlin Rouge while it was still available...rather than resorting to wannabe stuff. Modern IB Tech process is gone for good. What a shame... :(

-THTS

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holla Frank! Ain't MARLIN ROUGE that slasher-fishing movie?;) The one where the great red marlin has killed hundreds of brave fishermen who risked their lives to catch him?:p Que?:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.