Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the MLB Web Site:

"73rd All-Star Game (July 9th). The game will hit the airwaves on FOX beginning at 7 p.m. with pre-game ceremonies and player introductions. Former Brewer Robin Yount, now the Arizona Diamondbacks' first base coach, will be an honorary captain for the American League squad under manager Joe Torre. D-Backs manager Bob Brenly will skipper the National League squad"

I wonder if we will once again be honored with Fox 480P Widescreen??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not just Fox Widescreen, but Fox High Resolution Widescreen!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Fox UNWATCHABLE "high resolution" widescreen.
This is so amusing. Does anyone care about content anymore?

Casablanca must be totally unwatchable seeing as it is 4:3 and gasp... black and white!

I would love to see some HD contect from Fox, but UNWATCHABLE is a bit extreme IMHO...

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
702 Posts
you mean fox's HIGH RESOLUTION WIDESCREEN DIGITAL... :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah right.. Fox is bad.. I wasn't very happy with the results of the widescreen superbowl. But, at least they made an effort to address their DTV viewers.

This week I watched the NBA finals on NBC, and the NHL finals on ABC. Both of those were standard, crappy, SDTV.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I have thought about this, maybe it is better if it is not in 480P. They made such a big deal about their version of HDTV around the Super Bowl, we will now find out if they are really leaders in the 480P market or if they have dropped the concept realizing 720 or 1080 is really the way they have to go!

It will be interesting when we find out..... :confused:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
Yeah right.. Fox is bad.. I wasn't very happy with the results of the widescreen superbowl. But, at least they made an effort to address their DTV viewers.

This week I watched the NBA finals on NBC, and the NHL finals on ABC. Both of those were standard, crappy, SDTV.
Amen.

FOX is constantly villified around here - and in many cases rightfully so - but because NBC and ABC throw a few HD programs our way many people tend to look the other way when they travel.

However, IMHO there is no excuse for them not televising the PREMIER events of these respective seasons in HD. We know they can and to me, that makes it worse when they don't. At least FOX has nevered teased us with true HD, only to abandon it at crucial junctures.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So is there a definitive word on whether or not the All Star game will be in "480p Fox Widescreen"? My son is bringing some friends over tomorrow to watch it, and I think it would be fun for them to see it in something better than plain-vanilla NTSC. I went to my local Fox affiliate in SF (KTVU) and there was NOOOOOO mention of widescreen or 480p.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
At least FOX has nevered teased us with true HD, only to abandon it at crucial junctures.
While this may be true, they are guilty of something far worse. Trying to sell the public a bill of goods claiming their product is just as good (studies have shown that people can't tell the difference - yeah right...).

ron

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I just hope they don't dump out of the game in the middle of the ninth inning, with the score 3 to 2, to run 10 minutes of commercials. Those of you who were watching Giants Vs. D'backs this weekend know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Since there has been no promotional mention of 'Fox Widescreen', it's very unlikely we'll see it tomorrow night.

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
That might be a GOOD thing. Their last "super duper" widescreen broadcast actually looked BETTER on satellite than it did in its digital OTA version here in N.Y. Only Fox could pull THAT off!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sad to say I'll get a better view from my roof with binoculars since our local affiliate is broadcasting at something like 10 watts--to be "in compliance" with the FCC May 1 mandate.

Did I mention that the stadium is about 15 miles from my house?? We like to call them FAUX-6 here...

Greg O.

·
Registered
122 Posts
GOOD GOD! Fox is a joke. The audio is all over the place, the lighting stinks and the people on camera look like claymation. Did you see those two at the start of the show?

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
My expectations from Fox have been zero for some time now, so if they do anything better than zero I'm pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Well, at least they are not trying to pass some lousy Faux High Resolution BS on the public as being almost as good as HD. Tonight it looks like good old SD is as good as it gets for Faux. Are they still allowed to call themselves a 'network'? I wonder if Rupert is home watching a nice clean HD feed from NHK?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
"Amen.

FOX is constantly villified around here - and in many cases rightfully so - but because NBC and ABC throw a few HD programs our way many people tend to look the other way when they travel.

they have earned the vilification!

what the other networks are doing is much better then fox's hd effort and more then you will get out of Fox for a long time. is fox planning on doing any hd next year? at least nbc is doing more this coming season.

yes content matters... But why be so short sighted as not to present the content the best way possible, if they're making a special dtv effort..(superbowl) yeah I know I'm cutting the other networks slack, because they are doing more then, just throwing a couple of shows in hd at us.. They have a Hd plan and roll out.. So I support their efforts.

-tony

ps Ken Ross really BIg LOL on your last post.

·
Super Moderator
18,455 Posts
At least you GOT a digital picture. As is so often the case, here in Cincinnati, the Fox affiliate took the anamorphic digital feed from FOX and stretched it the wrong way. The top-of-the-screen scoreboard is cropped off, as is the bottom of the screen. I can barely make out the FOX bug over the black side bar to the right. Everybody is really tall and thin. And the resulting picture is 9:16. You wanna talk about UNWATCHABLE...

Doc

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.