AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to see this tomorrow at an IMAX here in Japan and can't wait! Is it out in the USA and has anyone seen it yet? Is it any good?! I am surprised this comes out so fast in Japan but Avengers don't come out here till August.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, so a movie actually came out here in Japan first?! AMAZING as that hardly happens here, I usually have to wait months for a movie I wanna see!

In that case then, let me be the first to say... SEE THIS DAMN MOVIE IT TRULY KICKS ASS!!!

Pardon my cussing but, it really does. I just watched it in the IMAX here, at first the 3D isn't that great but towards the end it just gets amazing. The depth is great, Spidy view rocks and looks great and often times Spidy comes outa the screen swinging at you, and even a slow mothing seen of him flinging a web comes out in your face!

One of the best 3D movies besides Transformers and Avatar I have seen.. Forsure see this in an IMAX, you will not regret this one. I liked it so much I may go see it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to this one in IMAX as well. The trailer looked like Peter Parker dialogue scenes had boring flat 3D, shot like 2D, and the action scenes with Spider-Man had strong 3D depth with creative shots and used lots of negative parallax. Did you notice that trend?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is true. The 3D didn't really kick in till towards the middle of the movie and at the end just got better and better.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I saw just reading that the aspect ratio changes in IMAX during certain 3d scenes. I assume its the scenes with Spidermans point of view and maybe an action scene at the end of the movies (I have not seen the movie). I personally like this and hope when it comes out on bluray 3D it does the same.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd  /t/1416878/the-amazing-spiderman#post_22166878

I saw just reading that the aspect ratio changes in IMAX during certain 3d scenes. I assume its the scenes with Spidermans point of view and maybe an action scene at the end of the movies (I have not seen the movie). I personally like this and hope when it comes out on bluray 3D it does the same.
Thanks for posting the video. I'll definitely have to see it in IMAX for the vertical aspect ratio. It seems like more movies are starting to do this. It was disappointing not to get the 1.78:1 in MI:4 and Underworld: Awakening on home video. Hopefully, Ridley Scott and Marc Webb feel differently than those movies' directors.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Right, so we pay for a 3D movie at the theatre but only get half a movie in 3D! Sounds like a rip off to me!

And yet another director/dop who thinks 3D can vary from non existant to full on, depending upon the scene! The trouble is this technique is a total distraction because the viewer spends time wondering why the 3D is poor, removing glasses to see if the images are blurred etc etc. Hardly conducive with pulling the audience into the movie and keeping them there is it?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
And this brings me to a question I had not long before the Avengers was released. But this time instead of basing it on quality I'll base it on quanity. If this movie is half 3D then would a movie goer be subject to a refund or half a refund (of the 3D premium)? I argued previously that a movie with no 3D effect should warrant a refund when billed as 3D. And again, this has nothing to do perspective of pop out vs depth. In either of those cases, there is an enhanced effect to the film. But I have been to movies that this "effect" was negligible.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Anybody see that large back lite 3D Spiderman stand up poster in a theater lobby? I did and man that looks great. I sure would like to have one of those but was told the employees had dibs on it. That is the best lobby attraction I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug  /t/1416878/the-amazing-spiderman#post_22168990

Anybody see that large back lite 3D Spiderman stand up poster in a theater lobby? I did and man that looks great. I sure would like to have one of those but was told the employees had dibs on it. That is the best lobby attraction I've seen in a long time.

If you have your price perhaps you can find an employee for a fee that's not necessarily eager to have one in his home. I would think they would raffle it off among the employees and that employee could be your proxy.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Are they starting the story from the beginning again just because they got a new lead actor? It seems the preview I saw on tv showed the spider bite. Hoping the script is original and not an entire story from the beginning.....again.

Rick

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome  /t/1416878/the-amazing-spiderman#post_22169844

Are they starting the story from the beginning again just because they got a new lead actor?
New actor, new director, new writers, new everything. They can't just pretend like they're picking up where the Raimi trilogy left off.

My sister today was telling me how she got bored of the Raimi Spiderman and turned it off after half an hour. Her loss...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just got back from watching the masked vigilante known as Spider-Man! They've found my weakness...it's IMAX 3D.

The movie was awesome! The characters were more likable than those in the Sam Raimi trilogy, especially Spider-Man. About half of the movie was a re-telling of his superhero origin, but Marc Webb did it better. I connected emotionally with the story much more than I had anticipated. The were many humorous moments, and the action sequences and web-slinging bits were just off-the-charts cool. It's a very well-rounded movie, and exactly the sort of film that I love to see in 3D.

It was easy to tell that the IMAX cut is the definitive 3D version. The ~15 minutes of 1.90:1 are just visually stunning and enveloping. If you've seen the end of 3D trailer and been frustrated by the huge window violation created by the round drum falling off the tower, cheer up. In 1.90:1, it becomes a pretty decent pop-out.

The majority of the movie uses too safe, too conservative 3D, filmed with 2D conventions and an overuse of depth of focus. Expect a lazy depth script with 2D dialogue and 3D action sequences. Filming with 3D cameras provided perfect separation between objects, but they needed to increase interaxial distance to achieve realistic-looking proportions for more of the scenes. However, when they do crank up the 3D, it is on! The 3D stereography/cinematography is great during Spider-Man moments, especially toward the end. The POV web-slinging/launching and the sense of height looking down over the Manhattan skyline are just perfect. The Spider-Man/Lizard battles look incredible as well. Webb got the depth right for most action scenes, and he used floating particles for a great 3D effect in the final battle.

There were plenty of pop-outs to satisfy my taste in 3D (Some of them likely worked better in 1.90:1.). Pop-out count:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) A hologram animation takes place in theater space, a few objects get hurled at the viewer, a car dangles out of the screen, a hand grabs at the viewer, and Spidey web-slings toward the viewer and then falls back into the screen (my favorite). There is a bit of a tease pop-out before the credits roll too.
Overall, I had so much fun watching this movie. I think it's a tie with Prometheus as my favorite for 2012.

Movie - 5/5

Stereography - 3.5/5

Depth - 3.5/5

Pop-out - 4.5/5

Dimensionality - 4.5/5

P.S. Stay for about 30 seconds after the initial credits for a hint at a sequel.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just got back from watching The Amazing Spiderman in IMAX 3D. The title is apt, it is pretty amazing. The action sequences are spectacular and the 3D was great where it needed to be. As in Avatar, the 3D enhances the movie, but is not distracting in the non action scenes, a very good use of 3D in my opinion. My only real beef with the movie was that the two leads, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, are way too old to be playing high school students. Garfield was believable as a college student in The Social Network a couple of years ago, but as a high schooler now, not so much. It may be time to make Spiderman a student at Columbia University, or maybe St. Johns.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I saw this last night with friends and I kind of went in with a chip on my shoulder. I am no big fan of the Raimi films as I think Tobey McGuire was a poor Peter Parker.

This new movie is exactly what I wanted 10 years ago. The relationship between Peter and Gwen was strong and they have some of the best on screen chemistry I have seen in a long time.

The action was exceptional as well. It's nice to see a movie where you can actually see what is going on during action moments and the web slinging was awesome.

The only weakness for me, and it's just a nit is the bad guy and his "evil plot" were a bit meh. That said, it was very well done considering the baddie was a lizard!!

Can't wait for more from this franchise now. I like my superhero movies dark here and there, but it's getting tiresome. It's great to see they can be fun again as this movie and The Avengers prove - and then some!!!!

I am anticipating Dark Knight Rises as much as anyone can, but I don't feel I'm going to walk away "entertained" as much as Spidey and Avengers have done for me.

Oh, and the 3D was awesome too.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I haven't seen Amazing Spiderman yet but I do have a question for those who have: one of my biggest peeves with the Raimi Spiderman movies was the over the top level of angst and the portrayal of Peter Parker as a human dishrag. I haven't read the comics since the lat 1970s but while Peter was always something of an outsider I never recalled him being the impotent leper that Maguire and Raimi made him out to be (it seemed he was constantly being insulted, slapped or otherwise humiliated during the Raimi movies, especially in Spiderman II). Have they scaled those aspects back in this new iteration?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts