AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

The Ammo Dump Home Theater and Bar Construction Begins

11814 Views 96 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  JMEANS
First, Thanks to Big M for the name

Well the day is finaly here. The theater build starts tomorrow with the bar build following in 2.5 weeks.

Just finished cleaning the basement and wiring for 7.1 Surround.

Here's the Equipment list,

Carada 118 Inch Diagonal Precision Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1 Brilliant White

Epson 6100

Pioneer Elite Receiver

Monster Power Managment

Monster THX speakers for front 3

Mids and rears are in ceiling Paradigms

Sony Blue Ray player

High Deffinition Box

X-Box 360

Speakers

Instead of Theater seating I went with a custom made couch. It's done and will be delivered third week of August.

Screen Wall will be the one on the right.

Bar Area against back wall.

Equipment rack will be tucked in around that corner.

So framing starts tomorrow. I will be posting pictures daily this week.

PLEASE if you see something done wrong tell me. I've got the guys here for 2 weeks. I don't know much about construction. Ok well maybe a little but please let me know if you want a close up picture, if you think something is wrong etc.

I look forward to getting through this next month and then it's showtime and NFL time
See less See more
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
So bd, where are you located and what's the story behind the name 'ammo dump'?

Paul
Live just outside of Toronto, Ontario. The Ammo dump comes from having to relocate all of my gun safes to accommodate the theater.
well you've come to the right place.

Lots of experienced eyes will check it out.

Just post progress photos often and you'll get plenty of comments.

Good Luck!

Paul
Thanks, been lurking for a long time. Was waiting to get my new house to build it. Let the basement dry out for 2 winters and here we are. Build time!!
Excellent...

A build in my neck of the woods.

So are you in the GTA, or further out..? I'm hoping your North of T.O. I can't stand driving the 401 and I'm looking forward to the future meet...
See less See more
West End Near Hamilton. More than welcome to swing by when it's done.
I was working out the Oakville area for a couple of years...

Some very nice residential areas in that Burlington/Oakville stretch of the QEW.

I did my trade schooling in Stoney Creek. I can't say that I miss that drive... lol...especially on the bike when crossing the Skyway.

Look forward to following your build.
All the material was just delivered. Off to the basement. Let's see what we can get done today.
Both, using a contractor for 50% or so. Father in law coming in from LA in two weeks to help me finish it off. Lunch break.
The material arrives. 7:30am Drop off.

9 Hours later: 85% of the framing is done.

Back Wall = Bar area

Front wall:

Equipment Closet Front:

Equipment Closet Side: There will be a 1/2 door here

I am tired and going to drink beer while you comment. Hopefully it's Ok...have at 'er
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyle13 /forum/post/16857999

The material arrives. 7:30am Drop off.

I am tired and going to drink beer while you comment. Hopefully it's Ok...have at 'er

Looking good. For my own education - how do know if you should have a vapor barrier. Is there any concern with trapping moisture between that vapor barrier and the concrete?
Ya got some good insulation for the theater area. Can't wait to get the screen up!!

Tomorrow will be finishing the frame, pot lights and electrical maybe insulation depending how fast we move.
I'm assuming nobody sees anything wrong so far?
broconne, thank you for repeating all the pictures I didn't see them the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16859597

broconne, thank you for repeating all the pictures I didn't see them the first time.

lol
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16859597

What - are you on a 9600 baud modem? heh..

reply fixed.
No I'm on my wifes dell laptop and I hate the built in control pad, I'm getting a blister on my finger dragging down the pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16861154

No I'm on my wifes dell laptop and I hate the built in control pad, I'm getting a blister on my finger dragging down the pages.

I sometimes use the little EeePC my bank sent me - you should try it on one of those little things...talk about annoying!
Well day 2 is just about done. I've got some odds and ends to fix up tonight but here are the progress shots before I have dinner and a beer

Framing is 100% done.

The conduit from the projector area to the Equipment Cabinet is in and wires run.

Power for the equipment rack/closet

Electrical boxes are in and mostly wired. Electrical is 65% done all wiring is in. Just need to mount the pot lights in the morning.

Plumbing is set up for the wet bar.

Thanks for all the good feedback. I will update again tomorrow.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.