AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have just a projector and a screen. Thinking that i would never have a place to build a dedicated theater in my apartment. Then one day I concluded that i don't need such a nice big bedroom, so i decided to move the bed out and the theater in. It's really not an ideal space but i will make it work the ceiling is slanted. on the low end its about six feet and about seven and a half on the high end.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting all the carpet installed today and getting the foundation set for the risers. Looks like I'm gonna need to make them 12" tall. which is asking a lot for a room with 6 foot tall ceilings on one end.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Why did you choose NOT to make the screen as big as the wall would allow? I'm curious.

Reactions: mountaindewjoe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the screen with the frame is 63" tall. From the stage floor to the ceiling is 68". Also since my ceiling is not very tall the projector will be sitting lower than normal and if the screen was the full size of the wall space allowed anyone sitting in the front row would have the top of their head showing in the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh, that's only 2½ inches shy on the top and bottom, so no big deal I guess.

The angled ceiling and the extra room on the sides of the screen made the taped out area seem a little too small for the wall. All I know is that in an apartment - NOTHING beats a floor to ceiling wall to wall image. At least I don't think so. Looks like you might have the width to go 2.35 if you wanted to, however.

With an angled ceiling like yours messing up the ability to go floor to ceiling, going for wall to wall width would be what I would want to try. A wall to wall wide image in that room would definitely look amazing!

It's super awesome as is, don't get me wrong, I just have a thing about using the entire wall LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting build :)

Where's the center speaker going?
I plan on building the wall out so that i can have all of the front speakers behind an acoustic screen. the tape was so i could get an idea on screen size. going for a 120" screen by the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the back row of seats came in today and most of the riser got built today just need to put some osb to top it off.

i would go wider but my Projector is a epson 5020 UB and it only displays in 16-9 ratio. wider screen = taller screen. it suck i know but is a good projector.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
While it's probably true you can't go wider, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility entirely. I have an optima HD66. It's a 720P pj, meaning it's native res is 1280 by 720, but my vid source is my HTPC and if I change the screen res on the computer to a custom wide screen res, then play a vid file thru a player like media player classic, that has keyboard controls for expanding the width and height of playing files - independently of each other - bingo! widescreen on a 16by9 only pj, It actually works. You would think it wouldn't, or couldn't, for that matter, but I do it all the time, so I'm telling you for a fact - it DOES work.

Don't get me wrong, if you go crazy, and stretch the image by like 2 feet it'll look like it went thru a taffy puller, and that defeats the whole purpose of doing it in the 1st place. But believe me, you tweak it out width wise just a mere 2-3 inches on each side, you'd never know there was any diff in the picture, but the difference in appearance in the over all size of the screen will be utterly amazing to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
today was a big day for the build. First off had a late night last night finishing up the riser. then today i got the half wall built for the back bar and concessions area. Then the screen came in so i started work on the false wall where the speakers will go behind and the screen will go on. and if you ask me it looks a lot better than what that tape did. it's much larger. hopefully tomorrow i will have enough time to get started on painting.

Im just happy that its coming along at a nice pace.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright another day gone and more progress. I got the walls painted today note to self use primer first it took four coats of red to get the desired hue, but with that failure i got to keep the zig zag lines which i really like. then i got the AV cabinet built. and then finally was able to finish drywalling the half wall.

what do yall think of the zig zags?

Tomorrow is gonna be interesting. I have to figure out how to mount the projector to the ceiling and my delima is that it needs to be as close to the ceiling as possible while being level of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you set up a link to your theater build page when you make comments. you know that thing at the bottom of your comment. i guess thats the signature right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
been busy for the past couple days so unable to find time to perform an update so without further ado. I had to figure out the best way to get the projector as close to the ceiling as possible. so i had to create a custom shelf to drop down from the ceiling while making it as level as possible. Then i got started on building the shelves for the concessions and eating area. today i got started on getting the baseboard installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Definitely coming along nicely! Easily 1 of the fastest builds on avs. Nothing at all wrong with 'playing it safe' either. I'm sure you'll be much happier than you even expected to be.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since we haven't heard from you since the 6th, apparently you've been putting that free time you said you had, to use. So tell us which 1, of the 2 dozen movies you've watched so far, that you liked the best :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry got carried away and hadn't taken the time to upload the pics. But yea it has been finished for some time now got it all decored up and all on the 10th of last month. and i dont even know where to start on what movies i like the best. probably the second star trek for the sound of everything and really enjoyed edge of tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts