AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this board on a popular hardware review site. Not many details, except the three tubes on the right are amps for the left, right, and center channels of the audio output. Now we're talkin'.

http://www.gen-x-pc.com/images/mammer_mobo2.jpg

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
And, it has a Via chipset too!

:)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Don't tubes generate a lot of heat ?

With the extra noise from the cooling required to keep your HTPC from frying I would have thought it would be difficult to see any benefit.

I think a decent (M-Audio) soundcard do a decent amp would work bettter overall.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I personally think somebody got handy with Photoshop.

I bet if you look closer, you can see the hand crank for the Victrola.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gentlemen (and Ladies?),

What you are seeing is the Aopen MOBO model AX4B-533 Tube. I had thought about bringing this up myself since so many are always looking for the latest and greatest in sound. This board has been getting some interesting reviews. I have yet to see one in action.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
There are old threads about this board from a year ago or more. I was wondering if anyone tried one yet, too.

The biggest no-go is the VIA chipset, not highly regarded among HTPC types, a justifiable view given VIA related driver and chipset issues resulting in glitched audio and video over the past several years. VIA may have cleaned up their act recently, but all the growing pains may have left a bad taste in HTPC'ers mouths.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder....what's the point of having those tubes if they are only fed by a cheap AC'97 codec and DAC???

Garbage-in, Garbage-out!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb
The biggest no-go is the VIA chipset, not highly regarded among HTPC types, a justifiable view given VIA related driver and chipset issues resulting in glitched audio and video over the past several years. VIA may have cleaned up their act recently, but all the growing pains may have left a bad taste in HTPC'ers mouths.
Correction, VIA chipsets aren't highly regarded by anyone. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.