AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks in advanced for all the great advice that I have been reading...

I was able to decide and pick up a Samsung LN52B750 last weekend...

Now I have another dilemma at hand...

I am looking for a decent Flat Panel Screen for my bedroom...

I am looking for a good Flat Panel display and LCD or Plasma can work...

I wont be gaming at all in the bedroom so burn in issues are not a concern...

I will have AT&T Uverse HD service in the bedroom and I hope to be taking advantage of a 1080P set for around $800 to $1200 ish...

I am about 7 feet away from the wall where I am planning to mount the unit...

Any good recommendation will be welcomed...

Jeff

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack8322 /forum/post/16825471

Best option out there now is the Panny P42X1 at 599. Great picture, great price.

Thanks but just to confirm is that a 720P set? I was hoping for a 1080P Set...

Not sure if it will matter of course just for STD HD TV in the bedroom...

Forgive my ignorance but unless im watching blue ray will I need the 1080P just for some STD HD TV signals?

Thanks again

Jeff

· Registered
585 Posts
I would suggest "future-proofing" your purchase by getting 1080p. Who knows what's around the corner, and what will be standard in the next 3-5 years; who knows what you'll be using the TV for in the next couple of years; if it becomes your next computer monitor, you'll be happy you got a 1080p LCD.

What if's aside... my advice is to get a 1080p, maybe the Sammy 40" 630 or Sony 40" V5100... they're both on sale at your price point at Best Buy right now... and the price will likely go back up on Sunday. You can opt for a 60hz set like the Sony S5100 or Sammy 550 or 530 and save $100-$200.

From a 7' viewing distance, I would recommend a 40 or 42"; I have the Samsung 40B550 right now in an office/bedroom, viewing from 7-10 ft, and I'm glad I did not go bigger. I'm not sensitive to motion blur, so 120hz was not needed.

An advantage of buying from Best Buy is their return/exchange policy and their price match. I've been recommending them for this reason because I've found these policies very beneficial to myself over the last 6 months.

Good luck! Have fun shopping!

· Registered
6,336 Posts
For bang for the buck the Pannys are hard to beat. If the 720 isn't for you you can still be well under $1000 with a 1080p model. I own the Panny P42X1 and a Sammy LN40B650 as well as a Sammy P50A650. The Panny is 1/3 the cost of the Sammy LCD and the picture is outstanding.

As the owner of both technologies I advise most people to go plasma. I have my LCD in my bedroom, and to be honest that is the only room I would even consider an LCD for. here the viewing position is pretty much fixed and the off angle issues are less of a problem. That and the motion artifacts are not what I would want for serious viewing, and I'm using a set that lists for 50% more than your budget. The lower end sets are even worse.

· Registered
3,948 Posts
A week ago I would have not even recommended this, but experience changes things.

I bought a 42" Vizio 1080p LCD at Walmart for my son. He does some gaming and watches lots of sports. Not a critical viewer, as I like to think I am.

At $598 I wasn't expecting much. Got the set home and started to set it up. 3 HDMI inputs. Optical audio output up to 7.1 for any input signal. Analog outputs too. Average remote.

Plugged everyting in, hit power and was really impressed by what I saw. Moved it into movie mode and was even more impressed. Turned off some of the enhancement settings in the simple menu system, and I'm starting to think that I paid too much for my main viewing set.

He's thrilled with the set and it's clean (all black) appearance. I ended up adding a $98 Magnavox Blu Ray player from Walmart and have to say that the combination throws up a nice image.

For $700 total (set and blu ray player) I think you have a bang for the buck champ, or at least a contender.

I, like many, never even considered this level of set, but after comparing them, I have to admit a bit of a snob factor in my thinking.

With a 90 day return policy at Walmart and a doubling of the warranty through my credit card company, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase and the value received.

· Registered
276 Posts
Since this is for a bedroom, i imagine most watching would be done without too much direct sunlight so a plasma may fit the bill nicely. One of the most popular sets right now, the Panasonic G10 would be a set to look at. Full 1080p in both 42" or 46" sizes that match your budget. I would recommend looking into them, they are very nice tv's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.