AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I get that if I just buy some Infinity, Polk, or other store brand sub I will cry liek a litle girl at the lack of bass in my HT system.

So help me out with understanding all the differant options

SVS PB10-NSD This is more then I want to spend, but seems like something worth investing in.

Rocket X-Sub not as good for HT as music and I keep hearing about port noise at high volumes, not sure if that is correct

BIC H-100 Do not like buying off ebay retailers, but this seems to be the best bang for the buck.

ED subs are not on the list, I just do not like them and some people on this board push them so hard that its kind of creepy like they are salesman or something. Lets just say I find the A2 ugly..

Aperion Intimus S8 on paper it seems liek maybe it does not perform as well as the others listed.

I want something that is not too boomy for my small 15 x 14 room, wont break the bank, will sound good with HT, I am using Infinity Primus speakers so I need a lot of fill for bass from 80hz down

I am that guy that would have bought an infinity sub and thought wow this thing rocks, but now I am ruined and must buy something good.

Help me out, please.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a similar sized room and went with the BIC H-100. Buying from the eBay retailers was no problem and went very smooth just like any other online transaction. It certainly provides more than enough bass, my neighbor (I live in a duplex ) complained so I had to dial it back a bit but the bass is still strong. It is definitely better than many "store brand" subs and for the price hard to beat.

If you are willing to spend the extra cash for the SVS I would probably go that route, I wanted to get it but just couldn't spend the extra money at the time I put my system together.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the Bic H-100 better than the X-sub from Av123?

They seem about the same price after shipping.

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to get one of these since the odds are they are both much better then anything I was gong to buy originally.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
zaniix,

If you can afford it, it sounds like the PB10-NSD is an excellent choice for you. It's definitely a notch or two up from the Xsub and Bic in terms of HT performance. In small rooms like yours, you should probably get usable bass output down to around 16-17hz. The PB10 isn't capable of delivering massive SPLs, but it doesn't look like that's what you want. You want good, clean, deep HT bass, and as long as you don't listen at reference levels, the PB10 will deliver those things extremely well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct I do not need something that shakes the house, I want clean accurate sound.

Maybe I will just save up for the SVS and do it right.

thanks again.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaniix /forum/post/12999127

Correct I do not need something that shakes the house, I want clean accurate sound.

Maybe I will just save up for the SVS and do it right.

thanks again.

Don't get me wrong, the PB10-NSD will shake your room to some extent - it just won't have you fearing for the structural integrity of your house like some of the other subs mentioned here
. I'm running two PB10's in an 11x10 room, but I do like that tactile, visceral, shaking experience along with clean, accurate bass. One would be more than enough for a room significantly bigger than mine if you don't need really high SPLs.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
PB-10NSD is amazing for the price.

If you can afford it the PB-12NSD is worth the upgrade....but then again the more you spend the more you get across the board!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Csx-12/15?

·
Registered
521 Posts
zaniix, what's your timeframe for the sub? AV123 has one in the works called the X-plosive but I'm guessing it may be in the later half of the year. With the two Marks involved, it's bound to be a good one.

http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-plosive+subwoofer

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=22692

Stop by Craigsub's thread about ranking subwoofers if you haven't. He's also going to have some budget subwoofer testing as well as a "AVS sub invite" if you can wait.

If you can't wait, definitely look at the well recognized names in the sub business like HSU and SVS, it will make upgrading easier in the future. Like others have said also, the Cadence and the BIC also have pretty good discussion here.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Why somebody has to wait for months without knowing how it will be? There are so many options out there at that price range and I don't see any reason to wait unless one is a fanboy of a particular brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts