AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching "In Time," with Justine Timberlake, last night and was caught completely off guard by the gunshot recordings in it. The movie has a mostly low key sound design, no crazy LFE. But the gunshots felt POWERFUL, like you where right there. I had just watched "The Matrix" the night before and dont remember the gunshots feeling anything like that. So i decided to turn on the lights and take a gander at my subwoofer playing the gunshot to see if they mixed in any LF. Low and behold my sub was at almost max excursion!

So my question is: Is it becoming common practice to mix LF into gunshots to give them a more visceral feel? I can't say i remember that much LF in any other gunshot recordings.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots#post_24485561

So my question is: Is it becoming common practice to mix LF into gunshots to give them a more visceral feel? I can't say i remember that much LF in any other gunshot recordings.
Most of what you hear in the LFE is artificially created, not actual recordings. What ends up on the track is whatever the director thinks works best. Gunshots in real life are very loud, but don't actually go that low. Trying to reproduce a gunshot at actual levels is way beyond what most systems are capable of, so this is a case of substituting a lower frequency content for decibel output to give the desired impact.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Some other examples of gunshots in movies...

"3:10 To Yuma" DTS Blu-ray 16 Bit LPCM

1. Dan Shoots His Cow, Chap ? (0:07:20)

"The Dukes of Hazzard" HD-DVD DD+

1. Shotgun Blasts at the General Lee, Chap 2

"Open Range" DTS-ES

5. Shootout, Chap 15 (1:51:23)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots/0_100#post_24485578

Most of what you hear in the LFE is artificially created, not actual recordings. What ends up on the track is whatever the director thinks works best. ...

This.  The sound in the movies is often pure fantasy, just like the picture.  Often, they like to make a person get thrown back from being hit by a bullet.  The reality is, the kick that the person gets from firing the gun has more force than what the person getting hit receives (because the bullet is constantly slowing down from air resistance once it leaves the barrel of the gun), so the person firing the gun would be thrown back much further if it actually had the power to throw someone back like in so many movies.  The reality is, when someone is shot with a hand-held gun, they drop pretty much straight down, and are not significantly pushed back at all.  If they fall over backwards it will be because they are standing such that they are leaning that way, not from the force of the gun.  If the person is coming toward you when you shoot him, he will fall forward due to his forward momentum.

In other words, movies generally have very little to do with reality, both in picture and sound.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

So we work really hard to have crystal clear, accurate, uncolored reproduction of.........fake sound 

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots#post_24490735

So we work really hard to have crystal clear, accurate, uncolored reproduction of.........fake sound 
You've been doing that for your entire life. Google 'Foley Stage'.

·
Registered
672 Posts

3:10 to yuma is a great idea of this....not to mention the effects when the train comes rolling in....i thought the damn thing was pulling through my living room!  lol.

another movie where you really "feel" the gunshots is Live Free or Die Hard.  The apartment scene where they are going crazy with the submachine guns is one of my all time favorite scenes.

it's been a while since i've seen it, but Loopers is another one if I remember correctly where the shotgun blast just crushes you in the chest.  :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots/0_100#post_24490735

Yes.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots#post_24490798

I am just appreciating the irony 

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots/0_100#post_24493938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots#post_24490798

It is ironic, but no more so than considering things like using a good stereo to play  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band , which also is very unnatural.  The thing is, the unnatural thing is designed to be played on equipment that is designed to be able to, as best as reasonably possible, accurately reproduce real sounds.  So even when playing back things that are unnatural, it is generally better to have gear that is capable of "crystal clear, accurate, uncolored reproduction."

Also, some of us play music on our systems that has an actual, natural sound to it, though such music is not the most popular these days, nor has it been for many years.

The original concept of a "record" (" A thing constituting a piece of evidence about the past, especially an account kept in writing or some other permanent form ") has not been relevant to most "recordings" for many years now.  Anything that is multi-tracked with overdubs is not a "record" of a specific event, but is a compilation of various things done at different times.  And often what is put on the "recording" is not intended to be anything natural at all, and is an artificial product rather than even a compilation of "records."

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1522635/the-bass-in-gunshots#post_24493938

What sounded impressive to me was the concussion. That is the way it sounds for real. I know the movie Battleship was a turkey but the sound of those 16 inch riffles sure picked up the dust off the floor, once again concussion. I would think in home or theater audio in may be what the sound mixer thinks the report of a weapon should be.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I always felt the gun shots in Act of Valor were really impressive with my dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I remember Collateral having gunshots that went pretty deep. I know the chairs were shaking during those scenes as if you were in a 4DX theater. Of course, we're all aware that everything's fake because in reality you would only hear a bang. When watching movies I expect to be entertained and impression of that fake sound sure makes me happy. Reality is to dry to be entertaining. Make it wet so it's easier to drink

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always knew they added a lot of things that weren't really there. I've used a foley stage before to record sounds for various videos. However i didn't realize how prevalent it was in gunshot recordings in particular. PS. i have shot a handgun before so i know what it "actually" sounds like.

Thinking philosophically, what really is a movie? It's magic on a screen. The first great filmmaker to realize this, highlighted by the recent film "Hugo," is Georges Méliès. He began his career as a magician. Thus to this day, everything we see and hear is an illusion. Basically, if you don't like being tricked, movies aren't for you:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts