AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this disc has to be the biggest joke I have ever seen. It is worse than Koch Vision's Gulliver's travels, perhaps, due to the fact that it is live action and has tracking artifacts on the bottom of the screen in some parts. And you thought DNR'd HD was bad, or even a competent SD master blown up to HD was a con (a la Traffic). This is a travesty, it's a joke. It's only 720p, as well. They apparently didn't feel like blowing up a tape master all the way to 1080p.

Check out the DVD beaver review.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...st_blu-ray.htm

·
Registered
118 Posts
My mom loves this movie but the quality seems pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Wow. Just... wow. I was thinking of getting it for a sheer cheesy night of movie watching, but this just looks B-A-D.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbutler /forum/post/16927095

Well, this disc has to be the biggest joke I have ever seen. It is worse than Koch Vision's Gulliver's travels, perhaps, due to the fact that it is live action and has tracking artifacts on the bottom of the screen in some parts. And you thought DNR'd HD was bad, or even a competent SD master blown up to HD was a con (a la Traffic). This is a travesty, it's a joke. It's only 720p, as well. They apparently didn't feel like blowing up a tape master all the way to 1080p.

No doubt this was a rush job to capitalize on Benchley's death (after the estate was settled).

·
Registered
20,651 Posts
I have the BD in my queue, for the 8/18 release. This is good late night movie watching, with a couple o' cocktails.

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
For this movie, DVD would be sufficient. I read the DVDBeaver review, looked at the screenshots & this has got to be one of poorest transfers to BD. None of them looked any better than DVD.

Studio seems to be looking for a cheap way to make extra bucks.

The Beast was never more than a B grade sea monster flick anyway, I thought about buying it since I've seen it on TV & like squids
. But after seeing the screenshots, I'm passing. Maybe if it doesn't sell well the studio will get the hint they need to do it right or forget it.

ss9001

·
Banned
2,090 Posts
That's horrible. I checked IMDB just to see if it was shot on tape like so many TV series were, but nope, it was done on 35MM. No excuse.

Movie is fair. I'm a HUGE creature feature fanatic, and have never seen the longer cut. Liked the book, effects were solid, and was willing to give it a go. After seeing those pics, no way in hell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.