AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, does anyone know if this is going to be in HD?

Second, does anyone know what's up with the running time of the first episode? It's listed on Dish's interactive guide as running from 10:00 PM to 10:50 PM, and then repeated from 10:50 PM to midnight. When I look on A&E's own website, it doesn't clarify the situation -- the first airing is listed as having a running time of 52 minutes and the second airing is listed as having a running time of 68 minutes! Not just in the guide, mind you, but clicking on the individual episodes and looking at the running time.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/15559012

Second, does anyone know what's up with the running time of the first episode?.

I don't know if A&E is going to show it in HD, but it was definately produced in HD. I managed the (few) effects for the pilot.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/15559012

Second, does anyone know what's up with the running time of the first episode? It's listed on Dish's interactive guide as running from 10:00 PM to 10:50 PM, and then repeated from 10:50 PM to midnight. When I look on A&E's own website, it doesn't clarify the situation -- the first airing is listed as having a running time of 52 minutes and the second airing is listed as having a running time of 68 minutes! Not just in the guide, mind you, but clicking on the individual episodes and looking at the running time.

I would assume 10PM is without commercials while the second airing has standard commercial breaks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The show was in HD, with 2.0 sound.

The previews for the rest of the season were in stretch-o-vision.

For the first run of the first episode, there were no commercials until about 5 minutes before the end. Strange.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
Unfortunately, I was recording Supernatural and CSI during the first airing, so I had to catch the second one. I was very disappointed to see them do the "first scene over the compressed credits of the previous show" thing. Very annoying way to start a new show.

I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but the first half isn't quite grabbing me. Hopefully the show steps it up in the second half. I'll finish watching it tonight.

It seems interesting, but I'm not sure that's enough to warrant my watching it every week...yet.

My main complaint so far? Too much "explainer" dialog. For example, in the scene in the car where Swayze gets his next case, his contact had to specifically say "Enjoy your new case file". There were a few other times that type of thing happened. I hate stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/15568770

with 2.0 sound...

Incredible.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's a copy of the shield only FBI instead police and appears to be somewhat toned down. You gotta admit blowing up that vehicle was pretty cool though. I guess I will be watching this one.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
For anyone with iTunes or an apTV, the first ep is available as a free download in HD. I snagged it but haven't fully watched yet, so the jury's still out determining if it's really any good.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
I watched the rest and it's not bad. I'm not sure it's good enough to keep me watching, but we'll see.

A few nits (I put spoiler tags on them in case some people haven't watched the episode yet):

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) - I'm pretty sure that when the arresting officers/agents come in, they "arrest" the undercover agents, as well in order to preserve their cover. Word gets around pretty quickly among the criminal set about UC's.

- On the subway, Ellis admitted to smoking crack in the course of the investigation and even pulled a gun on a supervisor. I don't know what FBI these guys work for, but there would be a required evaluation after that sort of thing, especially since he wasn't involved in an active investigation at the moment. For that matter, being that he was still "in training", he would be required to undergo some kind of evaluation after his first real operation before being allowed to continue to ensure he was holding up to the pressure of it.

- It would have been stupid for Ellis to chase the guy down. He should have left that to the uniforms. Likewise, Swayze's character shooting an unarmed man in the back would not be considered close to a clean shoot.

- The whole drunk guy plot line seemed a bit unnecessary. I would have been fine with it if it had simply been a test to see who Ellis handled himself when in trouble - i.e., not resorting to pulling out the badge - rather than continuing beyond that.

Other than that stuff, it was pretty good.

·
Registered
730 Posts
this is funny, comparing a tv show to reality is futile. Come on guys it's a tv show, it is entertainment. If you must lable it to be able to watch it call it a Fable.

I liked the show, it was entertaining, of course it was not realistic in any way but if I want realism I can watch 48 hours, and I do watch 48 hours as it is one of the best shows on the tube, ever.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco /forum/post/15579684

this is funny, comparing a tv show to reality is futile. Come on guys it's a tv show, it is entertainment. If you must lable it to be able to watch it call it a Fable.

I liked the show, it was entertaining, of course it was not realistic in any way but if I want realism I can watch 48 hours, and I do watch 48 hours as it is one of the best shows on the tube, ever.

I hear this all the time and I still think it's BS.

There's a difference between, say, Batman (which is set in a fictional city involving a really, really wealthy who dresses up as an armor-clad bat and fights crime) and a show set in a real city involving undercover FBI agents.

When you set your story in a realistic environment, there is a certain standard of realism that needs to be realized in the plot. Further, I don't think my nits were unreasonable to address. In fact, I would submit that failure to do so shows a lack of research - just like how every friggin' crime show has to do the "zoom insanely far in on security footage to read a guy's business card or license plate" thing.

We're not talking about things that affect the overall story arc - we're talking details that make the story more immersive by not taking you out of the moment. It could be something as simple as having an appropriate car, apartment or spouse for a character or be as big as whether a guy is able to run around creating mayhem without consequence.

Since it was brought up earlier, The Shield would be an example. It started out solid enough - even regarding the intentional "friendly fire" incident. You have a strike team that has a relationship with the gangs that keeps the balance. However, it went completely off the rails later on when it became a big conspiracy plot.

If you want to do a serialized version of Dark City, Sin City or whatever city, that's fine. However, the standard gets raised when you sell it as a reflection of reality. I think it's appropriate and necessary that we hold the shows to a higher standard than being able to just make it up as they go along. An aweful lot of money goes into making this stuff. It should be done with a reasonable expectation of research.

They don't have to produce documentaries - just have the characters play within the boundries of society or face realistic consequences.

The "it's only a TV show" arguement is like saying "it's only a toaster - none of them toast properly". That attitude is why you get burned bagels, yet have to push toast down twice.

The real question is, why do people feel that something can't be entertaining while being realistic?

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
NetworkTV: Great post. Loved the toaster analogy.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/15578323

For anyone with iTunes or an apTV, the first ep is available as a free download in HD. I snagged it but haven't fully watched yet, so the jury's still out determining if it's really any good.

Thanks for letting us know. I DL'd it and watched it on my new macbook. I liked it. I will tune in for future eps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hope A&E keeps this series. So far I have enjoyed watching this show and although I started watching for Patrick it is the actor playing his partner who is the scene stealer LOL !

·
Registered
803 Posts
I turned off in the first ep when Swayze pulls out a pistol to threaten an otherwise fairly friendly CI in order to intimidate the "control cards" for the missile launcher out of her. Seemed like they were trying WAY too hard to make Swayze seem like a bad-ass as he probably could have just asked her or maybe bribed her. If that is indicative of his "investigative" powers I'm not interested.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/15568770

The show was in HD, with 2.0 sound.

The previews for the rest of the season were in stretch-o-vision.

For the first run of the first episode, there were no commercials until about 5 minutes before the end. Strange.

It's 1080p24 (not 720p60) for select (meaning they have a display capable of communicating to the Dish's DVR's that they are 1080p24 capable) Dish Online customers!

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ion_On_VOD.php

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/15658189

It's 1080p24 (not 720p60) for select (meaning they have a display capable of communicating to the Dish's DVR's that they are 1080p24 capable) Dish Online customers!

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ion_On_VOD.php

Has anybody seen this in 1080p? I connected my 722 to my network when I read about it but I won't beable to watch it for 6 hours?! That's with a 15 mbps connection. Maybe the mods can change the thread title to "'The Beast' in 1080P from Dish on Demand." I think this is pretty huge news.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On another forum, virtually 100% of people are reporting that their receivers would only play it in 1080i instead of 1080p. I, personally, don't care about 1080p vs. 1080i, but I certainly don't intend to participate in Dish's ersatz VOD scheme until they somehow acquire enough internet bandwidth to download programs at a decent speed!

By the way, the 1080 version allegedly still only has 2-channel audio.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts